Neue Schule Verbindend 9010 loose ring – for a 5yo???

I.Camilla

Visit site
Neue Schule got back to me and recommended the verbindend in a 16mm thickness. My Connemara is in a 5” but she also recommended to go up to 5 and 1/4 inch bit.

I ride him in a sweet iron loose ring. I have no issues in it, he works what I would expect for a 5yo that was backed at 4 and was brought back into work at the start of the summer. He doesn’t mouth but the lady on neue schule said this isn’t always a good thing anyway so she wouldn’t worry? But I was just after bit advice as I’d like him in a bit where the shape is better for his mouth as the sweet irons are very basic and I’ve been won over by the idea of the research behind more modern bits and how they sit in the horses mouth.

The lady did say the verbindend may sound like it’s for more advanced horses, but not to worry, it should give him more lift and a true outline. But I am worried what if we move to this bit and he does go well in it, but if I ever went back to a plain snaffle and it all goes out the window?

What are peoples experiences please?

Polotash

Visit site
Firstly, if you and he are happy in the sweet iron, then I'd stick with it.

Having said that, there's no reason you can't pop the NS on and just see if he likes it or not. If he has a lovely soft mouth in it then bingo, and if not, just take it off again. You can pick them up on ebay now, so the experiment doesn't have to cost you a fortune ;0)

Finally, although they say it gives lift I've had mine on two very different horses and neither has shown discernable improvement "lift" and "roundness" (they do like the mouth piece though which is why i use the verbinund, and have the NS starter on my 3 year old). At the end of the day it's a mild bit, even though he's 5 I wouldn't worry about the "for the more mature horse" claims if you and he both like it.

asommerville

Visit site
can you hire one first? thats what i did with my team up before i bought it.

i am kind of the opinion though that if its not broke dont fix it....sorry!

TandD

Visit site
i have one of these bits... if you do go for it....

firstly make sure you get a thick enough mouth piece...i have the 12mm which is way to thin! ill never send someone else bit buying for me ever again

and also make sure you give enough room for it to have th corrrect shape of the bit once its in the horses mouth.... i would like an extra 1/2 an inch on mine, rather than the normal size that the horse takes.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have used the Verbindert on all ages of horses from 3 to 11; I don't think it is specifically for an "advanced" horse at all, it will suit certain types of horse and their mouth shape. T&D, recent research has found that the old "thicker is milder: thin is severe" thinking is not in fact true, and the very thick snaffles can actually be too fat for many smaller mouths, and the thick mouthpiece bears heavily on the bars. Ideas change; research moves on.

I.Camilla

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I am tempted to also ring Sprenger to see what they advise before buying a neue schule.

I find the 12mm too thin, but 18mm is too thick. Usually stick between 14 and 16 in all my horses but they're all awkward in finding a bit. My mums arab has been recommended all sorts but she works most uphill and correct in a plastic happy mouth which all the bitting companies scoff at.

I do like his sweet iron but he does try to bite and chomp on it a lot and leans on it I was just interested to try something with a different shape in his mouth out of interest.

will keep an eye out for the verbidends on ebay and maybe call sprenger tomorrow.

Queenbee

Visit site
can I hijack this thread slightly... so they match your horse with a bit type? How does that work? Would be really interested to hear as I may well try it for ben :D

I.Camilla

Visit site
can I hijack this thread slightly... so they match your horse with a bit type? How does that work? Would be really interested to hear as I may well try it for ben :D

Yeh, if you ring or email, just explaining how your horse goes, what bit your using and what you want to do... They will recommend a bit and why. It's not worked with previous horses yet. None worked for my mums arab and my TB I was told to use team up which didn't work, tried it for 3 months and then I changed it for the starter without asking anyone and she loved it.

But not tried with the conny yet so maybe they'll get it right with him :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
They will also watch a video of the horse working and advise , very helpful at fitting doubles to horses which is a real skill - finding the best combination of bits for a horse when it goes into double.