Neue Schule Verbindend Universal

frostyfingers

Visit site
I have been struggling with finding a suitable bit for my overstrong Irish hunter - he leans heavily despite ongoing schooling and I just don't have the brakes I need out hunting. He came with a Waterford gag which I used once and discarded as he was sore in the crease of his mouth, I then moved to a Waterford snaffle which he wasn't keen on either - I think the mouthpiece doesn't suit. I've had more success with a French Link - he seems to like the lozenge element and his mouth isn't sore but it doesn't quite give me enough to stop him with.

So, thought about a Dr Bristol but feel that may be too severe and have been recommended the NS Verbindend Universal or the NS Waterford by a couple of bit hire places. I'm considering the Verbindend U as I think the lozenge suits him better and have done lots of reading about them and before I go ahead and try one just wanted to know if there were any other options worth considering.

Having always had horses that go either in the French Link or a plain Snaffle I'm struggling to identify suitable options. The dentist has checked his teeth and can see nothing to cause any issues. The problem is there are too many variations available and I'm confused!

Luci07

Visit site
You can hire these bits through bit bank? I bought the standard verbinded which worked wonderfully...for a while. As soon as out of trial period and paid for, horse went badly in it.

Very cynical now about forking out for these wonder bits..see what you can borrow and have a play. Sometimes schooling will help you get the horse to stop leaning but I have had other horses who needed something specific to stop them bearing down on me as a resistance. 1 went in a Pelham for fast work with a small port and then could be switched around to a snaffle. Another went into a gag with something akin to a fulmer (steering also went out of the window). Current big horse does it sometimes but he is so nice that some basic schooling reminders is stopping doing that now.

Casey76

Visit site
The NS Waterford is a nasty mouthpiece. Lots of ridges which concentrate the pressure over very small areas.

Have you thought about a different noseband rather than bit?

landyandy

Visit site
I had my mare in a NS, she had one in when I viewed her, she was ok for a while, then did not go very well at all in it, I have had her in a Pelham for maybe the last 3 year, and goes fantastic, no leaning or pulling at all,

PorkChop

Visit site

frostyfingers

Visit site
That looks interesting LJR. I was considering the lozenge type rather than the Waterford Universal as he seems to like that sort but what sort of Pelham do you think might work? It's so tricky - I've tried a Kimblewick but he hated that. Noseband wise he's in a Grakle now which has helped, we started with a flash and then moved to a cavesson which was hopeless but I thought it might be good to go back to basics - ha!