Neue Schule Waterford Jumping Bit or 3 ring waterford gag ??

Vicki1986

Visit site
anyone used? postive / negative responses please before i fork out £50 which i dont really have
crazy.gif

or should i just get a bog standard waterford continental for £15?!
confused.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEUE-SCHULE-JUMPER...VQQcmdZViewItem
so confused. need a waterford mouthp but need control! going m-hunting boxing day and cant have another leaning-flat out gallop-down steep hill-fiasco

bit of background info just incase anyone asks - pony goes fab in waterford loose ring snaffle for schooling but for XC/hunting/SJ needs something strongerm at the moment in a tom thumb but leans like mad, loves waterford mouthpieces yet needs a bit more leverage hence this choice

Vicki1986

Visit site
haha i know but she loves them! spose i should do really. just i know everyone raves about this neuey shoey whatevers and how they are the best bits since sliced bread for whatever reason. a 3 ring gag in normal size just looks hideous on a pony head tho they are such large bits. sorry i know thats not a reason i should use and i dont mean it totally for appearance means but i mean the fact it is massive cheek wise is really impracticle for small heads!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I like the waterford DG, I had one on my coloured, but due to his silly mouth I keep having to swap and change as he gets bored. It has a nice action, if not a little servere, it chaffed my lads mouth up a bit, for hunting I personally would either ride with it in two reins or roundings, but its good for ones that lean, because there is nothing to lean on.

Vicki1986

Visit site
i would definately ride with roundings as no way can i hunt with 2 reins i get in a right kafuffle! im worried about mouth chaffing too - her tom thumb did that on last hunt but i think that was the copper ridges. she leans like a mad thing at times so the waterford suits her really well im just hoping the doesnt pull too much in it as it doesnt look the most comfortable under pressure!

flyingfeet

Visit site
If you horse goes better in a Tom Thumb rather than a dutch gag I would fork out for the jumper.

The problems with a 3/4 ring, continental, dutch, bubble gag is that they move a lot in the mouth as the mouthpeice moves around the main ring (the 'kind of' gag action). Some horses really object to this movement and hence why they go better in a tom thumb or jumper.

Vicki1986

Visit site
ok so the more expensive will be better option maybe (story of my life!!!!) the tom thumb is great just not helping the leaning - be fab if they did a waterford version of that!! its also more suited to her as its small and light, all the gags ive seen are massive and heavy and i know it would bother her. just need to find a saddlery with one in stock now in her teeny size in time for boxing day .... thats a challenge!

Kezza

Visit site
William had been ridden in a 3 ring continental (they are not true gag bits as they don't attach directly to the head piece) for much of his life before I got him with the rein on the bottom ring.

I have since taught him to soften and used techniques to help with the tanking off because believe me, when he's out and about he is a handful to say the least (ask anyone who's seen me out on the farm, bumped into your friend on drummer the other day and he was only being mildly silly but still managed to get all four feet off the ground in walk)! He is now in a 2 ring contintental with french link mouth piece and I ride with one rein.

He can still feel strong at times but he's very comfortable in this bit and willing to go forwards i.e. it doesn't feel sharp on him. With bits it is a case of trial and error as even though you think you have the right mouthpiece but think you need to try different cheeks, it's not always the case...

I think William has been through about 8 different bits and combinations and we ended up almost back where we started but actually going milder would you believe?!

I say go for the cheaper option and if you can hire a bit for a week or so (Frogpool do that for £5 per week) then try that as well as it will save you money as you can return them if they are no good.

I have a few bits if you ever wanna borrow some ranging from 4.5" to 5.5".

x

Vicki1986

Visit site
Thanks Kez, she's so much better behaved on home turf now and riding her in a loose ring if now do-able without a hissy fit which is nice but hunting i need some leverage otherwise we would be over taking the huntsman and going a over t down hills haha! Didnt know you could hire form FP might try that. going to try a bubble for now, and see how she goes. will get the neue shule in the new year when i have more £! x

KatB

Visit site
The NS jumper is similar to the tomb thumb gag with the waterford mouthpiece. I personally would go with hiring one of those and seeing how you get on
smile.gif