Neurectomy Surgery

Cazza263

Visit site
Yes - but not sure if my experience is relevant as your question covers a multitude of possibilities - what type of operation, on what leg and for what reason?

Emshad

Visit site
Thanks guys, I have pmd you both
smile.gif

Booboos

Visit site
If you are interested in PSD and neurectomy there are quite a few interesting hits on Google scholar.

This one:
http://vettechjournal.com/Media/PublicationsArticle/PVE_02_09_266.pdf

summarises treatment options and recovery statistics and has references to all the other studies.

I recall reading one a while back that quoted 80% recovery for the neurectomy which seemed to suggest that 20% had been misdiagnosed in the first place, but I can't quite find it now.

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
I was chatting with my vet about this for PSD the other week.

If you decide to look up articles on the internet he said that you need to look carefully at who is writing the article. In many instances my vet said that those promoting it are the people who carry out the op so obviously they will be recommending it.

My vet did not feel it was viable in my horses case.

claire1977

Visit site
You have to be 100% sure of the circumstance. A neurectony was recommended for my horses ringbone as it progressed. He was so terribly lame that i needed to see evidence that the arthritus was causing the total problem. After 3 thousand pounds worth of xrays, nerve blocks and mri - my horse was found to have a totally collapsed pastern joint on one side which was affecting tendons and everything. A neurectomy would have falsely allowed him soundness which would have caused total collapse of that leg and caused him so much agony. I had to make the heartbreaking decision to have him pts but also thank god everyday that i was persistant and he didnt end up suffering anymore than he already had.
I think it has its place but be SO sure of the evidence for its use.
x

_jetset_

Visit site
What is the neurectomy surgery for as I am for and against it in different situations...

My own mare had the surgery done due to her proximal suspensory ligament desmitis. We did shock wave treatment and injections into the area which healed the ligament more or less completely but she would still not use the leg correctly which she needed to do to allow the fibres to heal in the best possible way. Therefore the surgery in my case was suitable as she no longer had an injury and it was a matter of helping her continue her healing in that area.