Neurological problems

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
My 4 year old thoroughbred was diagnosed with neurological problems today, we have made the devastating decision to lay her at rest as she has deteriorated quickly in the last 10 days and I can't bare the thought of watching her get worse.

I was riding her fine last Monday, just issues putting the bridle on. Within days I couldn't get near her, and now its come down to this and everything has finally made sense.

Has anyone else had experience with these problems?

cptrayes

Visit site
Yes, I had my ten year old dressage test entered for a medium test when his neck went, and a problem he was born with part paralysed him. He was put down days later.

I lost an eight year old this year with trigeminal neuralgia which took three months to deteriorate to a point where we think he had a fit and there was no option but to put him down.

You have my sympathy, it does get easier with time.

Last edited:

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
Thank you both. She'll go in the next few days. Shes just at the point where she's getting dangerous to handle, they said we can have tests done, but that's just prolonging it as we can see she is going downhill.

Sorry for the loss of your two cptrayes

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We thought our 31 yr old had a hind hoof abscess but neither vet nor farrier could find anything. We had x-rays taken of foot as we had decided not to prolong her suffering if she had e.g. broken pedal bone. Nothing showed on x-rays and she seemed to improve a bit, went back out with the herd. Then deteriorated, appeared to have been sedated, then ataxic. ^ weeks on from 1st visit, vet diagnosed neurological problems caused by a tumour in either brain or spine. She was pts that afternoon.
But she had had a good long life, spending the last 20+ yrs with us in a settled herd - she was the last animal we brought with us when we moved here - it was upsetting for us but at 31 not entirely unexpected. I am so sorry to hear of your horse's problems op. It seems that they do go downhill fast when the problems are neurological.

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
Thanks. Vet seems to think ragwort poisoning has caused hers, if she ate it as a foal. (I've had her since may.) Or other thing was toxin in the brain or a tumour. All i know is its not fair to put her through the tests for the same outcome, especially at the age of 4. So were doing it before you gets worse a ay more dangerous tha she has been.

applecart14

Visit site
My 4 year old thoroughbred was diagnosed with neurological problems today, we have made the devastating decision to lay her at rest as she has deteriorated quickly in the last 10 days and I can't bare the thought of watching her get worse.

I was riding her fine last Monday, just issues putting the bridle on. Within days I couldn't get near her, and now its come down to this and everything has finally made sense.

Has anyone else had experience with these problems?

Yes my ten year old WB went over backwards in the field and landed on his neck. He developed ataxia (loss of co-orindation of the hind quarters) and the calcification as a result of the fall started trapping his spinal cord and nerves. He was referred to Liverpool where they identified a gap in his spinal column to allow the cord to travel through (using xrays) which was significantly narrower than normal horses (17mm rather than 51mm) due to the calcifcation build up.

He was actually diagnosed with CVM (cervical malformation) - another name for Wobblers Syndrome and was PTS immediatley on humane grounds.

I know you are probably not bothered about this now - but you should bear it in mind if you want to get another horse - you should ask your vet if he/she can say your horse is PTS under 'humane grounds' due to it being too dangerous to handle (if this is indeed the case). Then you will be covered on your insurance. This is what happened to my horse as he was verging on a Grade3/4 case and could have fallen on me at any time. This could have proved fatal. Plus he may not have been able to get up in the field.

like I say its horrible to think about money at a time like this but you need your insurance to pay you out if you can. If you can prove he is too dangerous to handle because he could fall then you will get a pay out from your insurance.

I would say that its every likelihood your horse has wobblers due to calcification in its neck (but I am only guessing as I am not a vet).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
UPDATE:

On Friday the vet we had arranged to come and PTS my 4 year old gave me a second opinion first. She did tests, scans etc and she fulled believed it isn't a neurological. Shes took bloods, and my mare is also on antibiotics, day for of her antibiotics and shes a completely different horse, kind natured again. Thank heavens for the second opinion! I prepared myself to day goodbye, we had the wagon ready to come take her sorted etc.

I am so greatful for the second opinion, and we have been told to write a letter of complaint to the first vet for not doing the normal tests (ive never had a horse with these symptoms before to realise) and for the stress hers caused us, especially as she is getting better now!!

Thank you everyone for your comments and i'm so sorry for every ones loss'.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Brilliant, brilliant news! Thank god for second opinion.

What is the new vet's diagnosis? Sounds like you've had a pretty terrible time of it and it's totally not your fault for trusting a vet's opinion. I'd be furious.

Good luck to you and your mare!

applecart14

Visit site
UPDATE:

On Friday the vet we had arranged to come and PTS my 4 year old gave me a second opinion first. She did tests, scans etc and she fulled believed it isn't a neurological. Shes took bloods, and my mare is also on antibiotics, day for of her antibiotics and shes a completely different horse, kind natured again. Thank heavens for the second opinion! I prepared myself to day goodbye, we had the wagon ready to come take her sorted etc.

I am so greatful for the second opinion, and we have been told to write a letter of complaint to the first vet for not doing the normal tests (ive never had a horse with these symptoms before to realise) and for the stress hers caused us, especially as she is getting better now!!

Thank you everyone for your comments and i'm so sorry for every ones loss'.

I am really happy that this is the case and so pleased for you. What did the second vet give her? If it was an antibiotic then its for some kind of illness or infection so what was the diagnosis. My horse was given finadyne and this stablised him to the point he looked a lot better and could travel to the hospital. But it was only a temporary solution.

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
She thinks shes had some sort of infection which has affected her as its caused her so much pain/stress! In her urinary tract or a water infection. 4 days on antibiotics so far and shes back into civilisation! I've even dared take her head collar off in the field!! We may also try her on regumate, and just waiting for the call off the vets to tell us her blood results. Fingers crossed!!