Neutering an older dog

tigger01

Visit site
We've recently adopted an 8 year old lab. He's entire and I"m trying to persuade my other half that he needs to be done (dog not my other half!! Lol). Please give me your wise opinions on this matter so I can put forward some decent argument to my husband. I've spoken to my vet and she's on my side!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Bet will always say neuter cos it's their bread and butter money. Unless there is a medical reason for doing so, why would you neuter? The health benefits should be investigated before you make a decision, please do some research.

Aru

Visit site
Depends why you want it done tbh...
With male adult dogs the only thing neutering gaurantees is that they will not reproduce.
it can help with some behaviours but it will often will not fully fix habits like wandering/marking that are already present!
The medical benefits for neutering a male are nowhere near as strong as for a female.many cancers of the testicles etc can be palpated and neutering if its an issue is a perfectly reasonable course of action.
It depends on the why really...in an i older female dog its a no brainer.pyometras are incredibly common and the risk increases over time...not quite the same for the males.
Also if he's a fat lab(he may not be but its a massive issue in this breed) sort out body weight before neutering!it only gets more challenging to keep weight off them after when the metabolism slows down.