Never ending rain and mud

Follysmum

Visit site
We have for the first time ever had to take our horses off the ground completely. Never ending rain since sept is starting to make our usually excellent drained & mud free fields into a depressing bog in some parts.
Roll on spring I say

SEL

Visit site
Standing water on all of ours. From a distance my usual paddock looked ok but that's just because the mild weather has made the grass outgrow the puddles. Last night's rain has nowhere to go and they are splashing around the sacrifice bit.

Mud fever, lost shoes and a swollen leg .... and that's just this weekend's casualty list.

Abi90

Visit site
Just as it was starting to dry up, and it rained so heavily last night there s standing water everywhere again :(

oldie48

Visit site
I am totally sick of it. I have lost count of the over reach boots that Rose has lost and yes, she does need to wear them. No mud fever but one frog is a little tender and I think we may have a spot of thrush again, despite being very careful to keep her as clean and dry as I can. Everywhere is damp and there's nowhere dry to walk Stanley so I have to wear wellies which is making my knee sore. Roll on some sunny warm weather!

Finlib

Visit site
With the fires in Australia it seems churlish to bemoan the weather here but it is relentless !!! We are very well set up with dry under cover areas and an indoor area for exercising horses and dogs,Still loads of foggage so no mud .We spent a lot of thought on the set up after years on clay When we moved here 10years ago free draining fields is heaven but set ourselves up to cope with what ever weather may be thrown at us .It makes it easy to cope with prolonged bad weather.
off on a winter holiday next week back 1 st February it certainly breaks up the winter.Can't wait for some sunshine and not wearing wellie s!!!!!
the girl living in is so good reliable help is a must!

southerncomfort

Visit site
My fields had dried up lovely but are absolutely sodden again.

We've also had gales pretty much every day so far this year!

Been very mild though. Worryingly so, and with that and the horrific situation in Australia, their can't be any doubt now that the Earth's climate is changing.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
More rain forecast for tonight, tomorrow night and all day Tuesday, I'm almost relieved that my 2 are having to be stabled as one has a suspected abscess.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Looking at the forecast it looks torrential with high winds again from tomorrow mid morning now through until Thursday morning! :( It's just incessant & I'm having to bring mine who lives out 24/7 in just to get him off the ground more so so he doesnt churn it up over anything else! Its only just started to dry & get tacky so no doubt it'll be pooling again by this time tomorrow. Never known it this bad!!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Ahhhhhh I thought we were getting somewhere and it was drying up but now we're back to where we were, a swamp. It's no fun at all.

sherry90

Visit site
Yep my field is on a hill and had started to dry up lovely - although still muddy by the gate. The ‘end’ was within touching distance and now it’s slipped away ?

Finlib

Visit site
And still the grass grows. Its going to be a very miserable and restricted summer for mine if I cant get any more weight off her :(

Agreed!! I've got masses of foggage the horses are out 24/7 but on a restricted area around the pole barn overnight I can see me shutting most of the fields off for cutting hay this summer I've got all the horses weight down so will need to be careful this spring to keep up the good work!!!

Last edited:

sherry90

Visit site
And still the grass grows. Its going to be a very miserable and restricted summer for mine if I cant get any more weight off her :(

This is true. Despite it being wet it’s still been relatively mild. As soon as Spring hits it is going to shoot up. Thankfully mine lost weight in summer on a track livery but I think he’s still going to need to be muzzled and restricted over summer this year too. Especially as he’s now off games for a little while due to a sore back ?