Never give your dog away... Gumtree

millimoo

Visit site
For anyone desperate enough to do this, or sold without careful vetting, they should be pointed at this article...
Poor poor dog, given away on Gumtree and dead 4 days later. Don't read if you get upset easily.
6 months in prison is just not long enough - complete scum

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tabbed-chest-leaving-home-sign-JobCentre.html

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere already - I'm actually quite upset by this :(

lexibell

Visit site
I cried reading this story, I cant imagine the suffering the poor little thing went through. RIP Tyler.

I do hope this scum bag is in a cell with a very big, very nasty, very violent animal lover

:mad:

CAYLA

Visit site
I don't need to open the link I know exactly what it will be...and indeed it's horrifying/burns the pit of your stomach to think an innocent animal is one day safe and unbeknown to it headed for such a brutal end:( the thing is the kind of people that discard of animals this way really don't care, they want rid and they want rid yesterday, the give no thought to "what could be" sadly:(
Another reason never to "give a dog/animal away for free" either, and give yourself a reality check before thinking there are nothing but good genuine homes out there.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Thank you for posting this, but I actually wish I hadn't read this now . . . what an appallingly sick, twisted thing to do to an animal . . . any animal. I can't get my head round it.

P

jaijai

Visit site
''I do hope this scum bag is in a cell with a very big, very nasty, very violent animal lover''

Totally agree with this Lexibell.

Ba****d !

millimoo

Visit site
Im genuinely sorry to have upset you all, it upset me to...
And Cayla you are right that many rehoming this way dont care where they end up.
However there have been an increasing number of posts on here, with people unwilling or unable to keep their dogs for whatever reason, so if this article makes people take extra care in rehoming a dog, and may r saves just one dog from an unknown fate then it's served it's purpose.
Not that I'm suggesting anyone on this forum would deliberately put a dog at Risk as we're all a bunch of animal lovers, but I think by nature we're a trusting bunch, and this article illustrates there's some really nasty people about

ladyt25

Visit site
Truly horrifying! :( what a disgusting excuse for a human. I hope he actually does get locked up and I hope he gets any benefits taken from him. That poor, poor dog.

noodle_

Visit site
Im genuinely sorry to have upset you all, it upset me to...
And Cayla you are right that many rehoming this way dont care where they end up.
However there have been an increasing number of posts on here, with people unwilling or unable to keep their dogs for whatever reason, so if this article makes people take extra care in rehoming a dog, and may r saves just one dog from an unknown fate then it's served it's purpose.
Not that I'm suggesting anyone on this forum would deliberately put a dog at Risk as we're all a bunch of animal lovers, but I think by nature we're a trusting bunch, and this article illustrates there's some really nasty people about

which is why id rather pts my dog if i could no longer provide a good stable home for him./her!

luckily i have a very good support network around me and if anything ever happened to me, my dogs have a home with family and no-one else .

Azmar

Visit site
Couldn't open it as warning there in title. Still who would dream of giving away an animal that you have voluntarily taken responsibility for. There are far worse things than humane destruction. A brave owner will recognise this option, awful as it may seem.....:cool:confused:

millimoo

Visit site
Im with you noodle... My dog would not leave my ownership unless I was dead.
I have made provision and outlined my wishes should the worst happen (god forbid).
I know that I'm lucky, that like you I have options within my family, and that some people are less fortunate and have no option... However a reputable rescue/breed rescue is a better option than bloody Gumtree/Preloved/Freeads/etc

noodle_

Visit site
Im with you noodle... My dog would not leave my ownership unless I was dead.
I have made provision and outlined my wishes should the worst happen (god forbid).
I know that I'm lucky, that like you I have options within my family, and that some people are less fortunate and have no option... However a reputable rescue/breed rescue is a better option than bloody Gumtree/Preloved/Freeads/etc

absolutely.

One of my dogs would be pts if no-one could care for her (family wise) if im gone as she has too many issues to pass on. My other dog is a cracking (or will be) working dog so my dad would have him

Sounds depressing, but with animals we HAVE to make provisions for them while we are here, you never know whats round the corner

But id rather chop of my arms than put any animal of mine on gumtree for "free to a good home"!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
A horrible horrible end for this poor dog but if he hadnt end up with this scum he could have gone as a bait dog for a fight gang. Those freeads are a magnet for these scum.

Last year I think I started a thread about what would happen to your dogs if you die perhaps I should have included a baby being born,losing your job, losing your home, moving, emigrating etc as any excuse these days.

blacksabbeth

Visit site
This is when a fighting dog i.e pitbull should be thrown in the cell with him whilst hes made immobile!!Maked me feel sick to my stomach no dog should suffer this amount of torture and abuse i personally think he got off lightly with his sentence and i do hope the old owners are feeling punished for giving it away for free!!Poor tyler r.i.p!!!and i hope he rots and karma bites him extremely hard on his arse or face.Sorry rant over but it makes me green with anger.I hope these free to good homes get sorted out for most animals. :(

fleabitten

Visit site
I actually messaged someone on Gumtree the other night- she was advertising her two jrts 'free to good home' and I just couldn't bear the thought of something like that happening to the two sweet little dogs she was advertising. Sure,it took me five minutes to write the message, whilst trying not to sound like a completely patronising wotsit, but if it saves dogs from a fate like that then it is worth it. Perhaps we should all try to do this for our specific gumtree areas?

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
He lives not two minutes from me. It's horrifying to think that there are "people" so despicable who exist in this world, let alone so close to me and my dogs.

There was another dog who was given away for free on Gumtree or Preloved can't remember which, a young german shepherd bitch and she was used as bait for dog fighting - so bad were her injuries and badly damaged was her back leg that they don't think she'll live past the age of 5.
Even a tiny fee of £50 would put most of these cretins off.

Absolutely heartwrenching.

Please, please, please DON'T ADVERTISE YOUR ANIMALS FOR FREE. fleabitten, that's a good idea, there's so many in my area. What did you say?

K x

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I must admit to doing the same with adverts in Tradeit, some people have told me to sod off and wtf is it to do with you:eek::mad:. A few people have no idea what could happen and worse to my mind are the people who say well the dog has to go and what people do with them is not my problem.:mad::mad:

fleabitten

Visit site
I was really polite about it- introduced myself and said that from the wording of the ad it was clear that she really loved her little dogs and that I wished I was in a position to be able to help, but did she realise that they could end up being used as bait dogs and that the people that might come for them may seem totally legitimate.
Pity there wasn't just a standard email one could send! It does seem really 'nosy-parker' ish, but I couldn't give a monkeys if it saves a dog's life.

Archangel

Visit site
Horrific. I worry about all the small animals given away, there are just so many, what the hell happens to them.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Not opening the link. Really dont need that in my head.

On the other hand, I have taken two cats from preloved and given them a fantastic home... I have two dogs that were from a rescue. There are some people out there that would give good homes... Not everyone on there is a torturer/abuser..

Not saying that its the best thing to do to an animal, not that i would put them on preloved etc, but that there are other solutions.

The rescue that we got our dog from had an episode with someone who had re homed one of their rescue dogs and then both the husband and wife had got cancer. One died and the other wasn't far off, and they wanted the healthy dog PTS. The rescue offered to take him and find him another home, but the family wouldn't. That I don't understand. If I trusted someone, like the rescue, and knew they would find a great home for them, then why would I PTS my dog?? As it happened, the relatives decided not to put the dog to sleep when the lady died, he did go to the rescue and he did go onto a new fantastic home...

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Sandy came free from one of those sites (I forget which now). The 'owners' didnt even speak to me only texted me and let her go off with someone who wasn't me to travel over 100 miles. I could have been anyone but she's in a fabulous home and couldn't be happier. IMO I just think people need to vet the homes carefully and then make a decision or if possible get a rescue to take over (yes I know they're over run but it's better than nothing).

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Of course not everyone is an animal abuser etc but I've seen far too many of these stories lately :(
a friend of ours rehomed a wonderful little Westie - free from preloved - and she has been with her ever since.
If preloved/gumtree really is a preferred option for an owner rehoming an animal, the least they can do is go and meet the potential owner and 'vet' them as such before handing over the animal. Of course, it's not 100% safe but safer than not meeting them at all.
K x

Vicstress

Visit site
I think the problem arises when people feel guilty about having to rehome their dogs and don't want to appear to be making a profit out of them.

Archie came from preloved......but I paid for him!

CAYLA

Visit site
I think the problem arises when people feel guilty about having to rehome their dogs and don't want to appear to be making a profit out of them.

Archie came from preloved......but I paid for him!

Maybe a small minority, but the majority just want shot of the dog/animal asap and think offering it up free will attract more takers meaning the dog/animal could be gone alot sooner, which of course it does, but it includes a hole new unsuitable taker:(

millimoo

Visit site
Let's hope, as the article mentions, that something is done to address 'Free to good home' on these sites.
I'm personally all for having to hold a licence to own a dog, with heavy fines for those who don't - I know it penalises the good and the great, but if you can't afford a licence fee, you can't afford a dog period.
I'm glad the Daily Mail published the article online, but it's a shame it wasn't give headline news, to make people sit up and take care when rehoming.
But as Cayla says, you're always going to get the plebs who just want rid.... And it's difficult to know how you can ever address these without some kind of regulation, both from an ownership perspective, and from regulating a lot of these websites
Maybe we should start a petition to force a parliament debate - unless anyone knows of one already

SophieLouBee

Visit site
Mentality of these people baffles me, without motive, you could strike a defenseless animal down, in your own home, infront of no-one. Why? What thoughts ran through your head, if any?

I'd happily strangle him with his tracksuit.