Never seen a Shetland travel this way before !!! Video

niko

Visit site
Actually had me buckled over laughed. At least saves the need for 'trailer can'. Coming from Ireland myself I'm not shocked!!

hobo

Visit site
I am also guilty of laughing even though it is wrong. I did used to bring calves back from slough market in my Cortina estate many years ago. I did get some funny looks at the traffic lights I also got a lot of slobber down the back of my neck.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Very naughty and unsafe, but it did make me smile! Think the 2 guys should have paid more attention to the road / their passenger than filming it all for FB tho

Enfys

Visit site
This got me to thinking.

I have goats that are bigger than my mini, I think nothing of travelling them in crates in the bed of the pick up ... yet I would never consider travelling a pony that way.

Why?

Shantara

Visit site
This got me to thinking.

I have goats that are bigger than my mini, I think nothing of travelling them in crates in the bed of the pick up ... yet I would never consider travelling a pony that way.

Why?

I was thinking something similar about travelling cows and horses the other day! I know of a dog that's bigger than Cookie, who goes in the back of a 4X4 with a grill to stop it coming into the back seat...why a dog, but not a pony?

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Very funny. I've seen it a few times before, but seeing a cob in a lift going up to the families high rise flat was the most surprising. That was in Dublin.:D

Dry Rot

Visit site
I'm afraid I can beat that one by a large margin!

Long story, but I got a Shetland stallion abandoned on my farm. No one wanted it (guess why!) and the owner could not be located. I discovered that the missing owner had got it through a "free to good home" advert, so I decided (after exhaustive searches and enquiries) to dispose of it the same way.

A suitable purchaser turned up, we made a deal, and he disappeared to arrange transport.

The man was back an hour later with someone driving a Transit van. The Shetland was duly loaded into the back of the van and the door tied up with baler twine.

Now (wait for it!) I then asked the driver if that was the way he usually transported ponies. The poor chap looked at me with a rather bewildered expression on his face and said, "I've never transported a horse before. This guy just flagged me down and asked me if I would do him a favour!"

That's the short version. I can assure you, you would not believe the full version! But then this is the Highlands.

A friend in Ireland who trained very successful show jumpers went to his first shows sitting in the boot, leading his horse, while his brother drove as they could not afford transport....

Tnavas

Visit site
I regularly see a lady at shows who travels all her minis in the back of a van - but they do have it set up for them to travel safely.

I've traveled sheep in the back of the station wagon, behind a dog grill. Thick layer of paper on the floor covered in straw and they travel well.

MiniMilton

Visit site
As far as I know its illegal to travel with a dog/pet unrestrained in the back of the car, but obviously this gets ignored. I've seen sheep transported in cars just standing on the back seat many a time (im not suggesting its right) (and imagine the smell) but a small pony can do far more damage than a sheep or large dog. I had to break hard once because of some idiot and my little jack Russell almost catapulted out the windscreen. It was a real eye opener

Last edited:

ameeyal

Visit site
I went to beeston a couple of years ago, with no intension to buy, but I bought a mini off some gypsyes, they lifed him up in my Toyota land cruiser and of we went, he travelled lovely with my friend holding him.
BUT we were spotted and defra and the rspca later rang up saying I might be prosecuted { I wasn't}

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I seriously considered bringing my 4 month old miniature home in the back of my landrover, I was going to put a straw bed in for her and thought she would actually be more contained than in the much bigger trailer. Didn't in the end as I didn't want horse wee in my landrover.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'm wrong. I just googled it and there are plans to bring it into law, but not yet.
Sorry!

I'd heard there were calls to make restraints legal for pet owners but here in the UK, it isn't law at this time. Of course, it's probably a good idea, because an animal in the back seat becomes a lethal projectile if you have to break suddenly.

pennyturner

Visit site
I throw our mini shetland sideways in the front of the trailer. It has a tendancy to be ramp-heavy with just small ponies on board, so the extra one in the front helps balance it out.

I did once transport 4 5mth old kune kune pigs in the back of an estate car with a hay bale to stop them coming through to the front. They were perfect passengers, laying down the whole way together like great big sausages.

Enfys

Visit site
My daughter came home from work tonight with 4 goats in the footwell of her mini.
This is not an uncommon occurrence.

I once had a horse delivered from another farm a few miles away by quad. Someone drove and someone sat on the back and led the horse, not at a walk either, I saw them coming across a hay field and they were clipping along at a fair canter.

rachel_s

Visit site
My vet said they once had a Shetland transported in a Porsche front seat for its jabs. This was about 20+ years ago though.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Having had to practically dismantle an old Ford Cortina to retrieve the hen who had managed to get between the padding and the back wing ... no way would I risk it lol.

Naughty, silly, but also funny.

Rose Folly

Visit site
When I was a child in Northumberland, hunting with the Haydon, there was one member who would hack to the meet, but his wife would drive their little lad, who was about 4, with his tiny Welshie in the back of the car, to save them both the journey. The father would then hunt with son on the leading rein. I think we were more laid back then - and when you hear of all the accidents to horses being transported in trailers and boxes, I'm not sure we aren't being overly PC at times. And look how they travel cattle horses in America and Australia, in flatbacks with rails. The horses take it in their stride.