Never thought I’d be writing this :(

Keira 8888

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for your replies - I know this is the most exhausting draining thread! I appreciate your messages so much. So I have an update. Tried to trace the original microchip number today and it was 14 digits instead of 15. So my vet is going to come back and re-scam just to make sure he didn’t miss out a number!

Prince is doing well in his field. Went to give him his apple and a good scratch today. He seems very bright and happy. Made the mistake of watching “ride like a girl” last night to cheer my daughter up. Hadn’t researched the film before I watched it (can you see a pattern here??! ?) and what does the horse turn out to be named?? YEP! Prince!! And looks exactly the same as Prince too! But the film is SO SO good - I really recommend it. Had the most lovely day today - an elderly man in the village heard about our story and invited my daughter to come and ride his beautiful old cob called Skye. We had the loveliest day hacking around the village and exploring. Just goes to show - there are some incredibly kind people out there who are willing to help strangers. It’s very humbling. I want to thank each and every person who has replied to this mammoth thread - I am coming out of this so much wiser and with a thicker skin. I have had some incredibly kind direct messages and to be quite frank - without you, I would be an emotional heap on the floor right now. Onwards and upwards. Will keep you all updated on what happens next.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Keira you have been amazingly cool, collected and polite in the face of some very challenging posts. You're a great addition to the forum. I hope to follow your story as you find and enjoy the right horse.
Thank you so much - such a kind thing to say. Every forum needs an inexperienced plonker and I will use this experience to do good!

Keira 8888

Visit site
It’s going through the bad bits aswell as the good that gives experience! :)
Might Sky the cob be able to be a regular thing maybe? ?
I’m hoping it may be!!!!! I bought the elderly gentleman who owns her a sunflower in a pot to say thank you and he actually had tears in his eyes!! He watched us bathing her after the ride and seemed very nostalgic! He lost his wife last November and I think he’s quite lonely ☹️ We all had so much fun together - he used to run a very successful livery yard with his wife and I learned loads today! He says we could come back whenever we liked - very exciting!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m hoping it may be!!!!! I bought the elderly gentleman who owns her a sunflower in a pot to say thank you and he actually had tears in his eyes!! He watched us bathing her after the ride and seemed very nostalgic! He lost his wife last November and I think he’s quite lonely ☹️ We all had so much fun together - he used to run a very successful livery yard with his wife and I learned loads today! He says we could come back whenever we liked - very exciting!
I love that! Maybe you could all be good for each other? X

Trouper

Visit site
Sometimes Heaven really does have a plan!! Sounds like you could give a lot to each other.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Oh what a heart warming update!
I think that your lovely elderly man is going to be a treasure and I hope that it is the start of a great relationship for all of you.
So pleased for you.

Thank you very much, it really lifted our spirits I must say. He is such a kindly old soul. Funny how things work out sometimes. He came out at the end with a sweat scraper, body brush and curry comb for my daughter as gift. It was my turn to have tears in my eyes at that point! X

Keira 8888

Visit site
I am so happy for you, sounds like a perfect time with the cob.

I too have appreciated your positivity on this forum, not just on your own posts, but also when posting to others.
God I’m so bloody emotional at the moment - I’m now in tears because you said that. Thank you ? When the chips are down it means the world when someone is kind xxx

Keira 8888

Visit site
UPDATE!

hi everyone,

Hope you are all well.

I just wanted to give an update on my enormous thread!!

After much soul searching and changing my decision on a daily basis for a week - I have decided to keep Prince but give him a year off to live a happy, calm life for a while. I have made this decision based on the provision that my daughter understands that she can never ever ride him - no matter how well he comes back into work after his time off. ( we will be doing that under the guidance of a professional when the time comes) She happily accepted this and I was very proud of her.

At the end of the day, I just couldnt let him go. But fortunately I am 100% resolute that this is the right decision.

He is doing very well - after removing the HiFi that contained alfalfa from his diet his hives have disappeared. His nose is almost back to normal after I have been bathing it each day with very diluted medicated shampoo.

I feel that he is happy, relaxed and secure. My daughter and I have just come back from seeing him and we had a lovely scratching session and some fun groundwork games.

Thank you to everyone who has stuck with this thread - it has saved my sanity more than once I can tell you!

It feels SO good to be ending this with a truly positive outcome for all of us. And my daughter continues to ride the elderly gentleman’s cob!

Thank you everyone x
Ps the 2nd microchip is still a mystery! A vet came out yesterday to read it again (as the original vet recorded it as 14 digits instead of 15!) but their microchip reader was broken! So that mystery will continue! Will keep you updated. In the meantime, I am paying for a full medical work up and chiropractor etc. to make sure he isn’t in any pain. That would defeat the purpose of his well deserved time off in the field! X

Keira 8888

Visit site
He is a very lucky horse, but why a year off? At his age, that might not actually be the best thing for him. I'm sorry to be the damp squib here, but it's obvious how much you want the best for him.
You’re not bring a damp squib at all, maybe a year off is a bit excessive! I guess I just want him to have some time to rest and enjoy himself without being asked to do anything. I did wonder whether that might be making a rod for my own back - and I want to keep him moving so he doesnt stiffen up. I’ve made a promise to my husband that I will never ride him again - (lets hope he never finds this thread ?) that was the only condition for letting me keep him. But obviously I have my own sculdugerous plan that when the time is right I will get a professional in to help me AND Prince. And I will ride him. I guess I don’t know what the next three months hold, let alone a year, so I’m going to see how Prince is doing each week and plan accordingly. At the moment, my head is still reeling from the excitement of keeping him. X