Never underestimate the power of the ponynut!

Parkranger

Visit site
Upped boy's feed from Sunday to 1/2 a scoop of nuts (instead of 1/4) and then didn't ride Sunday or Monday
blush.gif

Certainly paid for it tonight.......we had a buck, a tanking session (to which I couldn't pull him back due to the insistent shaking of head). To top it all, my bombproof horse was spooky!

Back to 1/4 of a scoop tomorrow
blush.gif
grin.gif

Louby

Visit site
Yes ours are the same. My usually lazy boy has got a new lease of life and the pony is acting like a racehorse. A lady a few years ago once said her horses temperament changed with the seasons and I used to think 'whats she going on about!' but shes definately right.

Parkranger

Visit site
That's what naughty boy was on until the weekend and I asked the YO to up him to 1/2 scoop of nuts (as I was working him quite hard) - and then couldn't ride till today! oooooooops.

horsegirl

Visit site
HI,

I always lunge for 10 mins or so if my TB has had a day off as he is so lively and I am not confident enough (or a god enough rider) to handle it. I find it less stressfull for both of us and he gets nicely warmed up so we can get straight on with trot and canter work. Mine gets a scoop and a half of nuts though as still too thin.

Parkranger

Visit site
Never need to lunge beforehand normally - he really is usually the most bombproof well behaved boy! Just goes to show what a small diet change can make to a sensitive thoroughbred......

horsegirl

Visit site
Mine is a spooky nut!! Worse with a day off though. very good tonight, we are working on canter poles as jumps are just too exciting for him, he would jump the poles too if he could.

Parkranger

Visit site
Cant you bulk him out on Chaff and hay rather than nuts? I swear they're like rocket fuel to TB's even though they are apparently 'non heating'....

horsegirl

Visit site
Well he has 1/3 to1/2 a bale of hay per night and a couple of big scoops of alfa a oil too but even with the normal nuts he wasn't gaining weight, so we moved to conditioning nuts and then added sugar beet 2 or 3 weeks ago and finally he seems to be gaining weight.

_jetset_

Visit site
Hannah's 'pony nuts' was something called Herbichop... she has always been a bit of a livewire (before she was pregnant that is) but I fed her Herbichop for two days and I hit the deck twice! She was an absolute loony, LOL!

Parkranger

Visit site
How about haylage? Is his grass good when he's turned out?

Such a mine field isn't it? I thought that bran was good for bulking out......

horsegirl

Visit site
grassis very poor, although a growing a little with all the rain. Couldn't find anywhere that would supply haylage in small enough bales for 1 horse and horseage stuff works out too expensive. Still I think we have got the feed about right now and once he is fat enough I can start to slowly reduce the nuts/sugarbeet until he maintains weight. well that's the idea, I will probably be on here in a few weeks complaining he is too fat.

jess_asterix

Visit site
my ponies are on hayledge all day
and 1/2 scoop of chaff and 2 scoops of competition mix twice a day.
these are the big bucket scoop things, they are rather fizzy!! but that is how i like it!!!!

Parkranger

Visit site
I don't think I'd ever put a TB on 2 scoops of compeition mix.....I hate to think what would happen! He's just not worked enough for that - everyday but not hard work.