never used a grazing muzzle which one??

jackessex

Visit site
hi all i know its not normal to be putting on a grazing muzzle in jan???but my chap has lgl and ive tried everything else and the only thing left to try is to muzzle him for the 4 hrs he is out :(
he has soaked hay (13hrs soaked) and is fed fast fibre he is now putting on weight even tho i have restricted everything else so its got to be the grass :(
so can you recomend me a good one that will not rub etc,hes a tb/con.
many thanks.

hobgoblin

Visit site
My daughters sec d spends all of grass growing season muzzled
The only one I've ever found that she can't get off is the greenbrier, but they are pricey
I've found that they all rub to a certain extent, and pad out the areas that rub with gamgee covered with gaffer tape
It's a bit like new shoes though ( people not horse!) as the skin seems to soon 'harden up' I don't like using it but really is a cruel to be kind situation
I always remove it for a few hours a day but won't really apply if your horse is coming in at night
Although the weather is foul it's warm enough for the grass to grow!

Sophstar

Visit site
My cob wore a shires one 24/7 all through spring, summer AND autumn! it was a lifesaver however it did start to rub the top of his nose..others at our yard who wore shires also really rubbed their nostrils (they weren't big enough in my opinion) however my little welsh really didn't like the shires as i think he found it quite claustrophobic. He wears a greenguard one and loves it. He gets on with that really well and the only place it started to rub him was near his ears however i think that was just because of his winter woolly coat:rolleyes:. My cob will now go into greenguard as in the summer, they won't get as hot as they do in the shires.

Chestnut mare

Visit site
I used a grazing muzzle for the first time last year. Had my pony 12 years but new yard with lots of grazing and no way of restricting gave me no choice. I used the dinky ponies one it fitted well and did not rub at all (they do them in all sizes not just for mini's). She did not enjoy it wouldn't eat all day just stood at the gate lol! She tolerated it and got used to having it put on everyday.

jackessex

Visit site
ok thanks for ideas i dont like the idea of using one but i cant get him comfortable on his feet so its for his own good!!he will thank me in the long run!!!!

Hedwards

Visit site
About 6 of us on my yard have ours muzzled when required, we all have the shires one, we found the ponies tended to get more rubs then the bigger horses

Sophstar

Visit site
She tolerated it and got used to having it put on everyday.

My 2 became almost happy and look forward to having their muzzles put on because everytime I put them on, I put a slice of apple or carrot at the bottom. Makes the muzzle a positive experience:) My little one was even smarter with his greenguard in that if I put carrot in it and held the muzzle resting on the floor, he would lower his head and put it on himself...saved arguing to keep his head still as he would be preoccupied with the reward:p

jennifer83

Visit site
I bought a greenguard off a lady at my yard. You can pick up second hand ones for £30. I think it gives enough freedom that the horse wearing it doesn't dreed having it put on. I had lots of people comment on my horses weight loss. I wouldn't have him wear anything else