New addition to the (horse) family...

Visit site
Oh he's lovely, you do realise its against the law to own just one shetland? ?. They do have a habit of increasing, I started off with a mini horse x, then came a mini shetland as a companion for him and then arrived another mini shetland that his owner had no where to put him. I'd have a whole herd if I could, they bring so much joy.

Congrats, hope you have lots of fun.

tatty_v

Visit site
What a fab husband you have, a great new addition!
Are you getting him cut soon? (Pony not hubbie! ??)

? yes, husband says early autumn so as to reduce risk of infection from flies etc. I was quite worried the little chap would be feral and totally unhandle-able but so far he’s got attitude but also some manners! I’m sure he’s just luring me into a false sense of security though. Too bad for him I read all the Shetland threads on here so I am forewarned at least!

Visit site
I second the suggestion of getting him cut as soon as possible. We’ve had experience with tiny hooves trying to box you when you open the stable door, to trying to lead was (as my hubby described it) “like having a tiger on the end of a piece of string”, he was cut very quickly (all done at home, carefully dropped him to the floor as he was flat out with the sedation) and done in a matter of minutes. The worst bit (according to hubby) was him having to clear up as I was propping said wobbly wee chap up as he was coming around in the orchard, was me asking him to find the testicles that the vet had chucked into the grass. ?

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I saw a new little horse in your field (I assume it's your field - next to your house) as I drove past earlier! Must have been him. He really is a cutie.

tatty_v

Visit site
He’s got a posh show name (ironic that the smallest one of our herd is the only one that does!) but when husband saw the photo of him he emailed it to me saying “that’s the badger!” and it’s stuck. So Badger it is!

@TheOldTrout that is indeed our field! We are very lucky to have it so close to the house. You’ll see for comedy purposes I have acquired a gigantic 17hh warmblood as a temporary livery companion as well. We are now referring to the trio as small, medium and large ?