New Ariat boots looking scruffy already

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’ve recently treated myself to my first ever pair of Ariat paddock boots, the Devon Nitros, which cost a whopping £200 o_O.

They are fabulously comfortable. I asked in store if they were long lasting, and was assured that they are. I’ve worn them for just a few hours around the yard to break them in, and today for the first time, with my half chaps. They are now badly scuffed, plus they have acquired have a few random scratches. I haven’t been hard on them or done daft stuff while wearing them. I thought they’d last me for years.

2385449D-3018-4584-91E8-E3CA6C1950DF.jpeg

24F6FD56-3408-4707-882C-2281D475A17A.jpeg

BAF148C9-1197-4B35-B6A3-1342F95DDECF.jpeg

Do your Ariat boots last well? Have I just been unlucky? I will be contacting the store I bought them from to raise a complaint.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Mine have lasted for a year and a half - they’re long boots though and I just wear them for riding. They’ve only got one teeny tiny scratch on them during that time and they’ve never been discoloured like your pics. Maybe it’s just your pair for some reason? Hopefully the store will give you a replacement or refund

Abi90

Visit site
Put some polish on them... they’ll be fine!not ideal but it will cover up the scuffs

Reactions: TGM

teapot

Visit site
Ariats last if you cover them in polish, and my cover, I mean layers and layers. My long boots are ridiculously scuffed after three years of use but you wouldn't know it.

I will say that when I picked up the new Ariats in a saddlery the other week I was surprised at how poor quality they looked. My current short ariats are 14 years old and still going strong!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Another here with everything footwear Ariat, except work shoes.
I polish mine hard as soon as they are home, not had that degradation on any, not even the most recent ones - insulated brown Bromonts (which were only purchased as one third off mrrp), used daily for 2 to 3 weeks and now really cleaned up and put away for chilly days only as had got for next winter.
My old black bromonts are late 2010 vintage, showing age but still polish up beautifully. Even the Devon Pro short ones are all looking good.

Bernster

Visit site
Mine don’t last as well as I’d like. I don’t think I’m particularly hard on them, don’t muck out for example, but do wear them all the time at the yard. They are black. They haven’t worn like yours and don’t tend to show scratches. I give them a buff up when I first get them but after that just the occasional bit of leather conditioner. Might be the colour of yours that show them up like that as that doesn’t seem good!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think you might have a duff pair. MrPF has some in the same colour, had them for 3 years and never polished them and they aren't scuffed like that.

BOWS28

Visit site
Mine are as good as new under the mud lol. I also polished them within an inch of their life when i first bought them and i wear them every day for bits and bobs round the yard before and after riding!

Goldenstar

Visit site
My ariats do scuff and I scratch them but boy do I abuse them.
But there’s nothing that’s in same league when it comes to comfort .
I have the field boots for everyday riding ( I really only ever ride in long boots ) and the toes have completely lost their colour .
I don’t think they hold the dye as well as they used to .

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I live in various Ariats for everything and haven't had a problem. They're so comfortable and long lasting. I think you've been unlucky.

leflynn

Visit site
The brown ones scuff much easier then the black (esp if you have shiny brown), loads of leather conditioner before you wear them is my advice (a bit late I know)

chaps89

Visit site
My brown ariats scuffed in exactly the same place from having chaps on. I figured the chaps went over the top so it wasn't the end of the world.
Scuffing aside, I had the devon pro's and they must have lasted 5 years with very little cleaning and were exceptionally comfy.
I have the heritage comforts now which are on their 2nd year and wearing well - I'm quite possessive of them and they are only worn for riding and cleaned regularly. I've scraped them a couple of times and been worried about the scuffs but they seem to polish out well enough with a bit of leather cleaner!

Leandy

Visit site
Love my ariats. So comfortable. You need to polish them if you want them to stay looking shiny and new. The more you polish them the better they will look and keep. Isn't that basic shoe/boot care? Scuffs etc are inevitable, you just polish over them and carry on. You'll forget about them when they are no longer brand new.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, all.

I have initiated raising a complaint with the on line retailer who I bought them from, asking for a replacement pair. They have marked ridiculously easily for boots which have been worn for maybe 6 hours tops. The surface is quite damaged now, the colour has gone in places. I have never paid anything near that amount of money for a pair of short boots before, and my cheapies have lasted fine and stayed looking good! Not as comfortable, though.

Interesting that some folk have mentioned the colour, in that the shiny brown may not be as robust as the waxy black. Before I bought the brown pair, I bought a black pair in the same style from the retail shop arm of the same shop. They are for best, and as yet have not been worn outside the house. I hope they last better than the brown ones, they are sooo comfortable.

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
I would return them, even if they haven't been polished or conditioned they shouldn't look like that so soon.

However for future do not wear your boots outdoors until they have been treated with good quality leather treatment suitable for goretex footwear.

Nikwax do some great easy to use cleaners and reproofers but Ledergris is good for conditioning.

Abi90

Visit site
Nikwax do some great easy to use cleaners and reproofers but Ledergris is good for conditioning.

But be aware that if you have long Ariat Boots and you put ledergris on them and ride in them they will be super squeaky!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
But be aware that if you have long Ariat Boots and you put ledergris on them and ride in them they will be super squeaky!
I have the Contour II field boots and nearly got sprung out of the saddle. Thank goodness for Sporty Haft spray.

yhanni

Visit site
I have always had Ariats but the last pair I had at Christmas are inferior in quality and quite uncomfortable. The leather is really poor. I don't know what to buy when my old barn boots die as I wear them all the time. Much to OH's disgust!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Update.

After I contacted the returns dept of the online arm of the retailer that I bought the boots from, Ariat are sending out a replacement pair based on the photos. The retailer will arrange a mutually suitable day to swap the scuffed boots for the new ones. I was offered a full no strings refund, but have elected to try again as they were so comfortable.

I have purchased the dedicated Ariat leather conditioner to treat the new boots with from the off. No doubt its of a similar composition to most other cheaper leather conditioners, but it should do the job, shouldn’t it.

Fingers crossed that the new boots, when they arrive, are as hard wearing as I expect Ariats to be. It took a little while to sort, but all credit to the retailer and to Ariat for this result.

claret09

Visit site
I had some yard boots that fell apart really quickly. I put a comment and photo's on their facebook page. they contacted me and customer service was excellent. they replaced my boots with a new pair. these have lasted much better, still going strong and have not split (I ride in mine and on the original pair the leather perished within six months) - I do now put dubbing on them once every week or so. excellent customer service