New boots not waterproof

dixie

Visit site
After years of riding in short boots and chaps I've bought some long boots, mostly for competition.
They are Just Toggs Kensington which have false laces at the front.
Today I rode in them, basically to make sure they felt comfy, and gave them a quick splash with the hosepipe to get the dust off and immediately my feet were wet!
There is a bit of leather material underneath the laces but they are not stitched all the way around and there are big gaps into the actual foot (difficult to explain but hopefully this makes some sense).
Is this normal as there is no way they are going to be waterproof when it rains and I am wondering whether I can actually send them back now that they have been worn.

dixie

Visit site
I have no knowledge of this specific model of boot, but I would expect a boot to not let in water from "a quick splash with the hosepipe".

I know !!! It was literally a splash and I’ve just re-checked. They seriously let the water in ??‍♀️

dixie

Visit site
No I’ve re-read the details and it doesn’t mention waterproof at all. But then I’ve read a lot of different boot descriptions and hardly any specifically say they’re waterproof.
I’m going to speak to the retailer and see what they say.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
i cant think how they would be waterproof with laces, i ve got some mountain horse lace up short boots that are waterproof walking through long grass but would let water in the lace up bit if i hosed them there so i just hosed round the bottom of the boot where i had walked in mud..
false laces are just for show, they have solid leather underneath (well mine do)

mini_b

Visit site
I have false laces on the front of my Ariats - I get what you mean about the bit of leather. I don’t think it’s glued/stitched all the way around either but I ride in all weathers and hose off quite enthusiastically in them and they don’t leak.

they do let a trickle in if I am in a puddle - my boots are well worn and soft however so the leather sort of moulds to my leg/inside of the boot. I don’t think any lace up boots would be completely waterproof to be honest.

dixie

Visit site
The leather underneath is quite flimsy and it was literally a quick splash with the hose, not a full on blast.
Maybe that’s why they were on sale !

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The lace is cosmetic only - they don’t actually lace the boot up.

sorry, blame my age, didnt read the post properly, leather boots should be able to cope with a hose down, i also had mountain horse high rider leather boots and they got hosed off every day for over 5 years and they never leaked and i bet they would not let water in if i washed them now....was it both feet? if not may be a fault...

dixie

Visit site
Yes both feet ?
I’m just looking at a pair of Mountain Horse on Facebook , so good to have a positive review!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i love my mountain horse boots, dont now have a horse and they are too old to sell but i dont know if i could bring myself to let them go anyway.. my feet are quite wide and they fit well and i bought the wide top ones so dont know if the normal leg means the foot is narrower, worth thinking about if you have narrow feet

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site

dixie

Visit site
Yeah I got them at Redpost at the discounted price.
I agree, they’re a design fault. - they’re generally a nice boot but surely the fundamental of a long boot is to be waterproof ??‍♀️
Never mind - I now know that’s not the case!

phizz4

Visit site
I wouldn't expect any dedicated riding boot to be waterproof unless it was designed as such. My long Ariats with the false lacing aren't, they are for riding in, not yard work. Similarly, with my Devon Pros. My Tellurides (I do like Ariat footwear as you can tell, so comfortable) are (or were) as they have a waterproof liner and sewn in tongue. The leather may be waterproof but the design isn't.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
I wouldn't expect any dedicated riding boot to be waterproof unless it was designed as such. My long Ariats with the false lacing aren't, they are for riding in, not yard work. Similarly, with my Devon Pros. My Tellurides (I do like Ariat footwear as you can tell, so comfortable) are (or were) as they have a waterproof liner and sewn in tongue. The leather may be waterproof but the design isn't.

I would expect to be able to lead a horse from its box into the arena, through puddles of water, to mount up, and not get wet feet.

I would expect to be able to ride on a downpour and maybe have some water get in at the top of the boot but not around the instep.

If I bought a pair of boots that turned out to have a serious design fault that revealed itself so quickly, I'd be returning them to the retailer for a full refund.

phizz4

Visit site
I would expect to be able to lead a horse from its box into the arena, through puddles of water, to mount up, and not get wet feet.

I would expect to be able to ride on a downpour and maybe have some water get in at the top of the boot but not around the instep.

If I bought a pair of boots that turned out to have a serious design fault that revealed itself so quickly, I'd be returning them to the retailer for a full refund.

That's not what I am saying. I've never had wet feet riding in any of my boots, and I can go out to the field in the rain, through shallow puddles, and bring the neds in. But, if I hose them down to clean them I get wet feet if I'm not careful where I direct the water. I have got wet feet wading streams and walking through long, wet, grass. Any footwear with lace holes (real or pretend) and no sewn in tongue will leak, in my experience.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
That's not what I am saying. I've never had wet feet riding in any of my boots, and I can go out to the field in the rain, through shallow puddles, and bring the neds in. But, if I hose them down to clean them I get wet feet if I'm not careful where I direct the water. I have got wet feet wading streams and walking through long, wet, grass. Any footwear with lace holes (real or pretend) and no sewn in tongue will leak, in my experience.

We seem to be talking at cross purposes.

I understand your point, and indeed I have plenty of shoes and boots that I could wear in those conditions and keep my feet perfectly dry, without them being specifically described as being "waterproof".

My point is that these particular boots seem to have been badly designed, in that "a quick splash with the hosepipe", to quote OP, was enough to give her wet feet.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

It would never occur to me to hose down leather boots designed for any purpose. If I want boots to hose down I get rubber boots.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
It would never occur to me to hose down leather boots designed for any purpose. If I want boots to hose down I get rubber boots.

I've worn leather boots to wade through rivers, yomp across bogland and heath, and not have wet feet. Having rubber boots instead of leather boots is, for me, a question of weight and ease of maintenance. Both rubber and leather boots can be impermeable to water.

dixie

Visit site
This thread is getting very bizarre!
Does everyone walk around in Dirty boots ?
I merely washed off the dust and stuck on shavings from the foot, it wasn’t a full on hose.
I do expect leather boots to give me some protection from the weather. I didnt expect them to be fully waterproof but do expect to keep my feet dry if I’m walking in long grass, for instance, if I’m walking a course or if I’m riding in a downpour.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I merely washed off the dust and stuck on shavings from the foot, it wasn’t a full on hose.
I do expect leather boots to give me some protection from the weather. I didnt expect them to be fully waterproof but do expect to keep my feet dry if I’m walking in long grass, for instance, if I’m walking a course or if I’m riding in a downpour.

I’d expect any sort of riding boot to be at least a bit water resistant if not waterproof otherwise they’re pretty useless in the UK. I know exactly what you mean by splashing a bit of water on them and don’t think you mean immersing them in water. I do think people like to be contrary. I’ve got Ariat Bromonts which are waterproof at least at the moment, they are significantly more expensive. However anything leather doesn’t seem to stay waterproof even with special linings and I’d only trust wellies to be totally waterproof.

LouisCat

Visit site
I ordered a pair of these boots before and returned them after trying them on as they were so flimsy so I'm not surprised you ended up with wet feet!

teddypops

Visit site
If I want waterproof boots, I buy boots that are specified as waterproof. I wore my riding boots to poo pick in long wet grass and I got wet feet. I wear the same boots out riding in the rain but don’t get wet feet. I had some nice mark todd riding boots that were the ones with laces, they were not at all waterproof and the slightest bit of wet went through. I wouldn’t complain as they are not advertised as anything other than leather riding boots. I only hose off my waterproof boots and I use a damp sponge for others.

teddypops

Visit site
Bizarre? It’s just people stating their personal experiences isn’t it? Boots usually come with a guide to cleaning them, probably for this very reason.