New bridle - best way to soften it?

cob&onion

Visit site
My new evision comfort bridle has arrived and its lovely :) it obviously feels a bit stiff and need to soften up, also feels like theres a waxy substance on it?

Do i soap it first with warm soapy water then use neatsfoot oil on it?? :confused:
I want to look after it from the start :D

ThePony

Visit site
New leather does have a whiteish waxy substance on - just to protect it and keep the moisture in. I would give it a wipe over with a barely damp sponge (cold water) and then a wipe with leather conditioner. It will soften more with use. The leather should be a good quality so no need to oil it to get it useable (it can make leather stretch). I prefer just to wipe leather over as the leather soaps can leave a layer which protects the leather, but can also limit the uptake of leather conditioner.

cob&onion

Visit site
i have sponged it over with a damp cloth then used some nice leather conditioner on it, its so soft already - can't wait to try it :D

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
New leather does have a whiteish waxy substance on - just to protect it and keep the moisture in. I would give it a wipe over with a barely damp sponge (cold water) and then a wipe with leather conditioner. It will soften more with use. The leather should be a good quality so no need to oil it to get it useable (it can make leather stretch). I prefer just to wipe leather over as the leather soaps can leave a layer which protects the leather, but can also limit the uptake of leather conditioner.

Ditto. The wax will wear off, saddle soap is at best not a great cleanser or conditioner, and at worst isn't great for your tack. Use the bridle, which will soften it, and use a good conditioner sparingly, better little and often at first, then little and not so often once it's soft!