New BSJA Whip Rules

fourshiresrambler

Visit site
I'm absolutely fuming. Bought my daughter a new Le Mieux whip and it was advertised as BSJA compliant with the new rules.

Turns out, they lied.

It's also too late for me to return it so that was a waste of money. Apparently lot's of people I've spoken to have had the same issue.

I've bought another one, just a basic one from here if anyone still needs one that actually is compliant

I'm so angry, how can a big company like Le Mieux get it so wrong? It was 1cm too short.

Mule

Visit site
I suppose you could just use it anyway. They aren't likely to check the whips at all affiliated competitions. Or they might do for a few competitions since the new rules have come in but then stop checking.
They'd hardly notice 1cm anyway ?
I'd just go ahead and use it.

greenbean10

Visit site
That is such a shame. I have seen on Facebook groups a few people got caught out because they weren't the right length so I'm guessing they are being very strict for the first few shows.

@fourshiresrambler did your daughter still jump just without the whip or did they check it once she left the ring?

Nicnac

Visit site
I suppose you could just use it anyway. They aren't likely to check the whips at all affiliated competitions. Or they might do for a few competitions since the new rules have come in but then stop checking.
They'd hardly notice 1cm anyway ?
I'd just go ahead and use it.

Really? People were eliminated today as checking was being done post round. Horse Health/LeMieux are quite rightly getting a pasting as many bought whips from them at Olympia as 'guaranteed' compliant.

OP I'd take it up with Le Mieux. Interesting they've changed the description on their website and marked all Le Baton whips as out of stock.....

Mule

Visit site
Really? People were eliminated today as checking was being done post round. Horse Health/LeMieux are quite rightly getting a pasting as many bought whips from them at Olympia as 'guaranteed' compliant.

OP I'd take it up with Le Mieux. Interesting they've changed the description on their website and marked all Le Baton whips as out of stock.....
Ah, I didn't think of post round. It's also a bit too pricey to drop it on the ground, casually stroll off and expect it to still be there later.

greenbean10

Visit site
I am just reading on Facebook and seems that Le Mieux had produced a dodgy batch of whips - so some of them are compliant but those from the dodgy batch are too short!

fourshiresrambler

Visit site
No, she was eliminated, so not only did I waste the money on the whip but also on the class entry, travel etc. I was not happy. Seems lot's of people have been caught out though.

A dodgy batch isn't a good excuse from a company like that though when something needs to be up to spec.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
gah, elimination is definitely not on, were they not checking before classes to avoid that?

HH definitely need to back track rapidly and do exchanges at the v. least for the non-compliant whips they have out there, not buckle down and post the sort of video they did on facebook today.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would be pushing for whip swap and also return of entry fee!

I would be posting on FB page etc in my quest.

If I had a copy of the advertising material from which I selected the whip and had no joy with the above, I may even consider a small claims procedure for the above, plus diesel etc. I bet they would pay out before it actually went to court.

ETA- of course, your claim is with the retailer, as they sold you the item.

To be fair, on the Horse Health FB page, they do say to contact the office if you have a short one from the previous batch. Horse Health are a retailer who are upholding their responsibilities, you can only hope that wherever you bought yours from will do the same.

Last edited:

greenbean10

Visit site
No, she was eliminated, so not only did I waste the money on the whip but also on the class entry, travel etc. I was not happy. Seems lot's of people have been caught out though.

A dodgy batch isn't a good excuse from a company like that though when something needs to be up to spec.

Definitely not saying it's an excuse, I was just letting you know what I have read. I would be equally upset especially because they were checking and disqualifying after competitors had jumped! Seems completely mad as there are bound to be people who don't know about the whip rule altogether - e.g. people who are just joining BS now etc.

little_critter

Visit site
Take a look on the Horsehealth FB page. They have posted (not a very good post!) saying that if you have an issue with whip length to contact the office. Certainly it's worth contacting them as there appears to be a known problem.

Broodle

Visit site
Is this the 'LeBaton' whip please? It's nominally 57cm so can't see how it could be too short? Unless it's the contact area/padded part that is too short, ie less than 40% of overall length? I have one of these so will be measuring...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It’s the padding area that has come up about a cm too short on the stewards table

Attachments

• 730ED3C0-0B10-4813-8E20-D1D602894799.jpeg
    730ED3C0-0B10-4813-8E20-D1D602894799.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 46

fourshiresrambler

Visit site
Well, I'm happy to report that the new whip came from Absolute Saddlery today and it is perfect. Good quality too, I called them to confirm the sizes etc and they were very helpful, apparently, they have had lots of people calling about the sizes who have had the same issue.

I have contacted the place I purchased the original whip from to take it further. I at least want my money back as I was missold an item.

Thanks for all your help I'll keep you all updated. But I can vouch for the whips from Absolute Saddlery, as I have bought one, so if anyone is worried, they are 100% correct.

DressageCob

Visit site
Consumer Rights Act 2015 is the place to start re:fitness for purpose. If they put up a fight that is. I suspect they will just refund or offer exchange. Edgemere are offering a straight swap.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
I for one, cannot believe the stewards are being whip measuring Nazis, when if they punished people for overusing/misusing the "regular" whips in the first place... we wouldn't need special padded sticks.

Based on FB discussions, many folks (Hope Valley and some others) are offering free exchange for the new compliant Lemieux whip!! Might wanna go talk to your tack shops that you purchased from!!

Visit site
Hi All, LeMieux and Horse Health are replacing all Le Baton Whips that are not measuring correctly under the new BS Rules. Unfortunately, there were some whips in the batch where the pad has measured under the allowed measurement. We are very sorry for this and are doing everything we can to rectify this for everyone affected. If you are concerned about your current Le Baton whip or have one measuring incorrectly please email your proof of purchase and contact details through to info@horsehealth.co.uk. Thank you, Zoe :)

fourshiresrambler

Visit site
They have offered me a refund, which is great, however, that doesn't put the money back in my pocket from the wasted journey/class entry etc.

Honestly, for such a huge company I can't believe there isn't some kind of quality control before they get shipped out, especially if they are advertised as matching stringent rules on sizing etc.