New Business Venture - thoughts?

Tia

Visit site
I have been running my new idea past some friends and all the feedback has been positive, so thought I would give you guys a try too.

For next year our plan is to diversify a little. We are planning on purchasing 3 tipi's and a couple of chuck wagons (you know the sort that the pioneers arrived in - in all the western movies). The idea is to allow people to bring their own horses, or alternatively rent some of my horses and they stay here in a tipi or wagon as an alternative to tent camping. Each camp will have a BBQ/fire pit and their own corral for their horses. Toilets have been covered and each abode will have small camping stoves....but there will be no electricity. Running water is nearby. Basically it would be a real back to the early days of North America so no creature comforts....except their horses LOL!!

What do you think? Personally I would never consider spending a week in that sort of primitive hell LOL!!

Here are what the tipi's look like: http://www.tipi.com/

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I think that naturist lot who like being outdoors will love it...............me personally..........probably not
tongue.gif

Kat
xx

ruscara

Visit site
I would LOVE IT!
smile.gif
Gosh, I didn't know about these big Tipi's. Aren't they splendid. I could certainly live in one. I think it's a brilliant idea!

Tia

Visit site
Wow! I am surprised at the amount of you guys who would consider doing something like this. This was exactly the reaction I received from friends over here too - oh well think we have to give it a try. It's a fair cost to buy all the accommodations so perhaps we will just start small and see how it goes - not that I have any intention of having huge Indian village in my back garden of course, but a couple might be quite fun.

Thank you all for your comments.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
I'd do it, I've spent some quality time in a lapland tent eating reindeer stew with the natives, so staying in a north america tipi would be quite fun
laugh.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Each camp will have a BBQ/fire pit and their own corral for their horses. Toilets have been covered and each abode will have small camping stoves....but there will be no electricity. Running water is nearby. Basically it would be a real back to the early days of North America so no creature comforts....except their horses LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, all sounds good, except.........the camping stoves bit possibly!
Generally, the paying public like to pretend they're all 'back to nature' or 'roughing it' (no TV etc.! LOL) but would maybe be happier if a little Tia appeared, suitably attired of course & actually fed them & cleared away afterwards, having cooked it first on the camp fire possibly!

*JAK runs to hide before Tia decides JAK makes a far more appealing target than Mr. Wolf!*
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Sheltie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think that naturist lot who like being outdoors will love it...............me personally..........probably not
tongue.gif

Kat
xx

[/ QUOTE ]

is't a naturist some one whog goes around naked,so a whole camp of them.pmsl

Enfys

Visit site
Brilliant idea, so many possibilities! Not my idea of holiday but I should think you would have no problem filling them at all. I know lots of people who would enjoy just that sort of short holiday. Somewhere near here in South Wales there is a place called Teepee (Tipi) Valley where people live all the time in these things.
Children would love it! There you are, kids weekend camps with pony thrown in! Do you get Brownies etc over there?
Do you need a camp cook?

Do all the authentic type beds/furniture come with it? If I was going away for a week I'd want to be able to put my clothes somewhere other than a case. Unless, of course, the nudists come and then they wouldn't have that problem. Would you be able to disguise the toilet/washrooms in a tipi? Definately worth a try, and if it doesn't work out then Megan has herself a fabulous place for friends to stay!

Tia

Visit site
It was Bun's reply that headed you in that direction wasn't it!!! Me too! I had exactly the same thought as you! All I need is one of those metal triangle dinner callers.
grin.gif

Oooh and a gingham frock!!
crazy.gif

Tia

Visit site
We are looking to build outside loos anyway for the boarders and trail riders so probably wouldn't be right next to the tipi's.

Yes there are Brownies over here and as a kids camp I am sure it would do really well in this area........however not too sure whether kids camp is what I want to do......can't imagine why, LOL!!

I would have to make or buy the furniture and I agree with you that although the bedding and seating could be authentic, some clothes storage would be good. I'm sure we could find a small armoire which wouldn't look too out of place.

Teepee Valley sounds like a living hell to me
shocked.gif

Sooty

Visit site
When I was about 24 a whole group of us went to Morocco and stayed in mud huts. Literally. They were on a compound so we had showers, loos, eating facilities etc, but the huts were basic N African ones, with sand floors and thatched rooves, painted white. It was brilliant! I wouldn't do it now, but yet - people do enjoy primitive accommodation, and the horse twist and theme of what you are planning sounds very attractive. As the outlay doesn't sound huge, and you can sell the tents and wagons if the uptake is poor, I'd be inclined to give it a go. If only I was younger and not afraid of flying...

Blimey, just clicked on tipi link - that is flipping luxury!!!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Fantastic idea. I would be worried about your wildlife though (I seem to remember bears and wolves being mentioned recently). Having an optional "cook" would be good as well. It would be lurvely to have an outdoor spa bath as well which you could rent out (to the very clean people!) to soothe their aching muscles after a day in the saddle.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
LOL! Cook, spa - you are not really into the idea of roughing it, are you?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You guessed
tongue.gif

Seriously though, the sort of people who would enjoy this sort of thing and pay quite a lot of money for it would pay even more if they had a little bit of luxury at the end of the day. Of course some people would be happy just with the tent and doing it all themselves, but if there were other choices it would widen it to a bigger market (sorry - can you tell my job is in marketing and promotion?)