New clipper blades don't cut!!

TequilaMist

Visit site
Bought new clipper blades off a agricultural site got them over 2 weeks ago and they don't clip!Contacted 'shop' by e-mail and advised them of this.Now after a few e-mails to them they contacted me today by phone and firstly asked what kind of coats I was clipping and that blades would not cut deep coats!!I advised them that coat was not particularly thick(horses concerned have been clipped every year)and that old blades that were a bit blunt had managed it on first horse!They are Wahl blades for Avolon cordless.Shop advised me to send them back to them and they would send them onto Wahl to check and sharpen if needed or replace if faulty!I did point out that my contract is with them not Wahl but was advised that they didn't have anything to test them!Am a bit annoyed as bought them so I could have a working set at all times!!Am just annoyed as have one pony left to clip!!

KatB

Visit site
Theyre snap on, so don't need tensioning....

I have had a similar problem with the snap ons, some just arent aligned properly! Send um back, and get another pair....

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I remember a lot of people have problems with these blades last year. I would phone them back and insist on either a refund or a direct replacement - they have sold you something that is not fit for the purpose - they dont have a leg to stand on. Be firm!

KatB

Visit site
grin.gif
No worries hon, the tensioning ones are easier IMO!!

spaniel

Visit site
TM I know 3 people who bought those clippers last year who had exactly the same problems as you. Insist you get your money back and TBH Id be looking to get a new, and different, set of clippers.

Halfstep

Visit site
This happened to me in the middle of a clip (using the Wahl artiko) - I snapped off the blades to clean them, put them back on, and they stopped clipping. What happened was that the blade and the comb got misaligned - they are very sensitive and have to be just so. slide the blade slightly to the right or left and try again, just keep trying; I finally got mine working again in the end. But it is very annoying.

Louby

Visit site
Ive got the Avalons too and although it looks straightforward to clip them on if the blades arent lined up they wont clip. They will sound noisier than you expect too and they wont seem secure.
Someone told me to position the blades but dont snap shut, turn the motor on and drop the blades into place. I didnt fancy doing this as I thought I'd break them but they are fine. Ive only had to do this on a couple of occasions though as once you realise they arent on properly just 'sliding' the release button slightly seems to snap them into place.
You wont be dissapointed once you get the hang of them, I love them.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
Clipper blades work in the same way as a pair of scissors - IE the cutting surfaces need to be rubbing against each other for them to work, slacken the screw off on a normal pair of scissors and they won't cut anything.

The clipper blades could have the sharpest edge on them, but if they are being held apart by old clippings wedged between the blades, or the spring tension is not strong enough to overcome the action of the hair which will try continuously to force them apart as they are being put through the coat, they won't cut.

With a mains set, you can just crank up the pressure with the tension screw to get around this and the power of a main motor will just muscle its way through, but the self tensioning blades rely upon being kept very clean and well oiled to overcome the friction.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I have a set of Wahl Clippers, and the blades are PANTS!! The wouldnt cut through Beaus coat last year, despite being BRAND NEW and him having been clipped 8 weeks prior!

Then all of a sudden the worked (after a quick thump on my hand)!! The are well and truly dead now though thanks to his lordship throughing a feeley!

TequilaMist

Visit site
The actual clippers are great(got cordless as twit of pony really didn't like other ones but no probs with these)Its the blades.The blades we got with clippers last xmas have been great.Have clipped quite a few before becoming blunt.Hope not all like the new ones it would turn out an expensive way to clip -buy new clippers each year lol

TequilaMist

Visit site
Know what you mean about the clipping in bit.OH worked it out!!Can move blades with fingers VERY easily,maybe too easily.Blades haven't cut from day one but we are going to do test run with them just to make sure everything ok then will contact 'shop' again and insist on replacement.I 'll wait til I'm tired -am really good at being assertive when I'm tired!!
grin.gif