New colours for old!

suffolkmare

Visit site
Would like opinions please! I grew up in the times when a patchy horse was piebald or skewbald, and a “brown” one might be chestnut, liver, bay, brown or black-brown. I’m not sure if all the “new” colours apply everywhere or are meant for certain breeds/types only! My boy was passported at around 5 years old as a bay welsh x. In winter woolies he looks more seal brown, but in summer...! I’m thinking sooty buckskin, do you agree?? We decided a while ago he probably has a lot of New Forester in him! CCF32137-A04B-405E-AE79-A1E413D6512A.jpeg

Leo Walker

Visit site
hes bay, he has some pangre as well I think. He looks to have a mealy muzzle although I'm not 100%. Pangre would also give him lighter tones which ties in with you thinking he is a sooty bucksin :) This is a pretty extreme ecample so you can see what I mean

iStock-890931352.jpg

Reactions: JJS

suffolkmare

Visit site
His forelock is distinctly gingery, def not black, mane and tail darker but again mixed lighter hairs. His ears don’t have definite black points so that’s why I’m thinkinking not true bay. YO has suggested some sort of dun, but no dorsal stripe and too dark really anyway. I love his dappled summer coat!

Leo Walker

Visit site
He is bay. Hes not dun, he has no dorsal, no primitive markings nor face masking and no coat dilution. Hes not buckskin, he has no coat dilution. He is bay, brown body, black point. He has some pangre which causes the lighter tones. Mane/forelock hair can bleach in the sun and/or have lighter hairs through it. Your photo shows sun bleaching. You can get wild bays which have paler points and can have creamy hair on the back of the legs, but hes showing no signs of that.

Hes just a nice shade of bay :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My veteran has similar colouring. No-one could decide whether he was bay or brown, but he does have sooty I think.
Winter
ciXeoPK.jpg

Summer
LdZsqQC.jpg

Lois Lame

Visit site
Would like opinions please! I grew up in the times when a patchy horse was piebald or skewbald, and a “brown” one might be chestnut, liver, bay, brown or black-brown. I’m not sure if all the “new” colours apply everywhere or are meant for certain breeds/types only! My boy was passported at around 5 years old as a bay welsh x. In winter woolies he looks more seal brown, but in summer...! I’m thinking sooty buckskin, do you agree?? We decided a while ago he probably has a lot of New Forester in him! View attachment 33469

I've been puzzling over this during the last few days.

My first thought was bay, pure and simple. I was going to say so.

Then I thought every other thought that's appeared on here but I still don't feel 100% on any of them.

Whatever he is, I think he's very nice. And i think you are right that he might have New Forest mixed with the Welsh.