New cross country course for hire in the south east

spike123

Visit site
My YO and a local farmer have decided to get together to build a cross country course which they will be hiring out to the public.From what they have said there will be a range of jumps including a water complex and ranging in height from 2'3 for the novice jumps to 3'3 possibly 3'6 for the more experienced to enable those who ride BE to come and school their horses.It will be located near to Hythe in Kent so my question is how many of you would be likely to use it and what would you be looking for in a course like this.The course will be set in amongst the hills with jumps both on the flat and up and downhill and in around 90 acres.

rrose

Visit site
o, i definatly would.
grin.gif
would you be able to hire it out etc and hold shows.
grin.gif

spike123

Visit site
From the way they have been talking about it there will be competitions.They will hold regular open days and it will also be available to hire privately.

vic07

Visit site
have a look at what coombelands offers. it is the most professionally run schooling I have ever been to and might be useful for some pointers. I would possibly be interested!

Dovorian

Visit site
Yes, we would come and have a look. Of course we already have Denne Hill and Chilham Park in the area but variety is the spice of life they say! We need a sreiously good water training complex (with sound footing!) bu the way and progressive ditches would be handy, and a variety fo steps etc. The list goes on I am afraid!

Dovorian

Visit site
Please also remember those of us who are 'wimps', we need some good chicken jumps!!!! I've also remembered that there was a course at Chartham Hatch - Bigberry. Have not been for years so don;t know what is there now.

spike123

Visit site
as a fellow wimp where x country is concerned don't worry this has already been said to them.I have said that it needs to appeal to all sorts of riders not just the brave ones.

PoppyPony

Visit site
I definately would use it, I'd want a long stretch for a gallop, as well as lovely safe inviting jumps - plus a few non-inviting jumps (scary ones) to practise over. Oh, and water as well.

Winifred

Visit site
Sounds good, bigberry was my favourite! Echo the above, a good water, some steeplechase fences as at denne hill and lots of inviting jumps

ss1

Visit site
I know of a few people who would definitely be interested. I think that there is a lack of practice for jumping downhill (except Chilham Park) locally, good drop fences and a decent water complex wouldn't go a miss and some good steeplechase fences would be great. Shardeloes Farm in South Bucks has some good examples of these but is a little far away for regular schooling sessions.

Keep us updated on the progress!

Emily99

Visit site
Ooo sounds good.. and not too far away either!! We need more of them!

You might want to limit it a bit as 90 acres will take ages to school round!

Just need a good range of solid jumps and different heights/options for them with good footing.

Frazer

Visit site
I defentily would use it, ditches, waters etc.. just make sure you have the novice area all the way round, for people with younger horses and novices etc.. and I think it will be very succesful.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Oh too far away from me, but great idea. Trekhanas, ditches, tyres, water and drops always needed for practise as these are ones you find hard to simulate or find in everyday riding, depending where you live obviously. and ones that seem to cause the most spookiness/problems, I find anyway.
hope this helps and keep us posted on the progress.
regards
dawn

Tia

Visit site
Well I won't be going, sorry - just a wee bitty too far for my guys to travel
crazy.gif

Sounds great though! There definitely needed to be more XC courses in the South when I lived there. Even in Hampshire where I was there was a few but not really enough for my liking. People like to go to many XC courses and not just the same ones all the time.

A couple of thoughts which spring to mind are:

Good insurance!!
Have riders sign Waivers.
Good and accessible parking.
Clearly marked route planner.
And most importantly think long and hard about the course you will build - 90 acres is not much land to house an XC course over, so hopefully the land is kind to you and you will be able to work out a good route by weaving backwards and forwards.

Very best of luck and I hope that it proves very successful.
smile.gif

icestationzebra

Visit site
If they are serious - they should contact Local Rider magazine when it is complete. I am sure they would give it coverage in the magazine and then you would be unundated with people from all over Kent and Sussex. There are a few XC around, but some of them are better than others and the ground is dubious at some. If you have a water complex and a good range of fence sizes to cater for all you should be very popular indeed!