New dentist coming tomorrow... any advice?

_jetset_

Visit site
I have organised for a new dentist to come up to see Hannah who is BEVA and BEDTA registered (you may remember my previous post about finding out the one I have been using for four years is not registered with either of these!)

What sort of things should I expect from him? My old dentist simply rasped them for 15 minutes and then had a feel around but when Sally Kingsley came to our yard (I missed her) she left diagrams and used power tools rather than just a rasp.

Is there anything I should ask him?

I'm a bit nervous because Hannah can be a bit awkward when it comes to her teeth, but after the initial five minutes she settles down nicely. I am just a little worried because she has had this old dentist for so long...

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
I guess just tell him what to expect, ask him to be patient and that she'll settle fairly soon.

I use Sally Kingsley as she's a vet she can sedate and Ludo just won't allow a dentist to go anywhere near his mouth - as soon as he spots the gag/mouth opener thingi (can't remember what it's called) he just sticks his head up and won't let anyone near it! Sally is brilliant and her assistant Robin is really good too, very patient and doesn't rush. He does a lot of horses on our yard who unlike Ludes don't need to be knocked out first!

Hope it all goes well!

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks Ludi-doodi... I really like Sally too, but she wouldn't come out just to do my mare I don't think according to what a few people on the yard have said. So I decided to look for one closer to home and found Robin Harding in Cheshire on the BEDTA website.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

eekmon

Visit site
I use a BEDTA quailified dentist and he is fab! He takes time to come in a say 'hello' to my horse, he certianly does not spend 15 mins just rasping! Unlike the vet my horse does not need sedating with the dentist, he will work along side the vet if neded. He has a very good reputation in our area
smile.gif
He also fills in a worksheet to show what work he has done and finishing with a nice mouthwash!
smile.gif