New dog - agility/gun dog training equipment

nikicb

www.facebook.com
As the 4 equines, 3 cats and black lab are all largely mine, my husband thought it was about time he had a four legged friend in his life. Meet Luna!! She will be joining the mad house on Friday - the breeder held back two bitches to see which one they wanted to show, and although conformationally she was slightly better than her sister, she's a little quieter and the show ring's loss is our gain. :)

25qswp5.jpg

Now I have your attention, I would like to ask a little advice. I want to buy a few basic bits of training equipment for Christmas and was wondering whether anyone had any good suggestions of items to get or online stockists. He will probably join a local club (any Newbury based recommendations would be welcome), but it would be great to have some stuff to practice with at home. Obviously age related at the moment (she's 7 months old) so things that will use her brain as much as anything I guess.

Thank you in advance. :) x

PucciNPoni

Visit site
OMG she's lovely. I wish you lived closer, I'd be trying to steal her for grooming comps in exchange for free grooms....

Cahill

Visit site
agilitynet is the place to look for trainers.look for foundation classes.
avoid `fun`agility as v important to learn properly whatever your aims.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Scrummy wee cockerpants! From someone who started out at a fun agility club and then had to spend a long time undoing bad habits I'd caution against doing anything too serious at home, wait for the foundation classes. In the meantime, getting her hooked on something like a treat dispensing toy would be a great help for when you start training: http://www.pawstrading.co.uk/paws-p...y-training-ball-easy-reward-treat-12501-p.asp

OMG she's lovely. I wish you lived closer, I'd be trying to steal her for grooming comps in exchange for free grooms....

I have two smelly cocker bogbeasts you can borrow, when can I come over? :p

{97702}

Visit site
She is absolutely gorgeous :) :) :) Simply from the ONE blue roan cocker that I 'know' - belongs to my sister - beware barking at other dogs on a walk and neuroticism! Sounds like she will have a proper job to do that will help prevent all that though :)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Beautiful girl. Have fun!

Thank you! :) x

I wish you were closer too as I would definitely be on for that! She will be groomed/trimmed/clipped (not sure what applies!) to avoid tangles/matting and dragging half the field in. :) x

agilitynet is the place to look for trainers.look for foundation classes.
avoid `fun`agility as v important to learn properly whatever your aims.

Thank you - will check that out, and advise husband! :) x

Oh she's lovely Niki, you'll have a lot of fun with her. I mean your husband will have lots of fun with her of course :wink3:

Thanks! Looking forward to getting her home. Will try to remember to post updates, or maybe I can persuade OH to join HHO, or maybe not! :) x

Puppy dummies are good for retrieivng training, less bouncy and excitable than a tennis ball.
http://www.gundog-solutions.co.uk/pages/dummies_5610.cfm

Thanks - they look good, and less likely to bounce into the bushes to be lost for months! :) x

Scrummy wee cockerpants! From someone who started out at a fun agility club and then had to spend a long time undoing bad habits I'd caution against doing anything too serious at home, wait for the foundation classes. In the meantime, getting her hooked on something like a treat dispensing toy would be a great help for when you start training: http://www.pawstrading.co.uk/paws-p...y-training-ball-easy-reward-treat-12501-p.asp

Thank you - I shall advise husband about this - he is a bit of a geek about whatever he takes on, so will want to do it the right way. Looks like a perfect stocking filler! :) x

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Lévrier;13671260 said:
She is absolutely gorgeous :) :) :) Simply from the ONE blue roan cocker that I 'know' - belongs to my sister - beware barking at other dogs on a walk and neuroticism! Sounds like she will have a proper job to do that will help prevent all that though :)

Thank you - can't wait for puppyish (given she isn't that much of a puppy anymore!) cuddles! I have heard that some do bark, especially bitches, but every breed has something I guess. Thankfully we live fairly remotely and don't see many people on walks, but sometimes that is a problem in itself as seeing people is very exciting according to my lab!! We will try to keep her as busy as possible and husband is hoping to take her running with him as well once she is fully matured. :) x

{97702}

Visit site
Thank you - can't wait for puppyish (given she isn't that much of a puppy anymore!) cuddles! I have heard that some do bark, especially bitches, but every breed has something I guess. Thankfully we live fairly remotely and don't see many people on walks, but sometimes that is a problem in itself as seeing people is very exciting according to my lab!! We will try to keep her as busy as possible and husband is hoping to take her running with him as well once she is fully matured. :) x

Ah that sounds loads better than what my dear sister does lol :) I am a firm believer that a dog which potentially 'reacts' will do better with something to occupy him/her - I am sure she will love going running once she has grown up :)

I will admit that much as I love my greyhounds and lurchers, I am a sucker for a cocker :D I adore looking at Blackcobs pictures, so please can you post pics for us when you get her :) :) x

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Lévrier;13671281 said:
Ah that sounds loads better than what my dear sister does lol :) I am a firm believer that a dog which potentially 'reacts' will do better with something to occupy him/her - I am sure she will love going running once she has grown up :)

I will admit that much as I love my greyhounds and lurchers, I am a sucker for a cocker :D I adore looking at Blackcobs pictures, so please can you post pics for us when you get her :) :) x

My dogs are also very lucky (as am I!) that they have a safe acre garden to run around all day long as well as other exercise. We lost our old lab girl back in September but she went on to 14.5 and it was literally only the last day or so that she really struggled - I'm convinced the regular daily hour by hour plodding around made a massive difference to her longevity. Pictures will be posted!! :) xxx

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Mine wasn't the slightest bit neurotic or barky, he was super calm actually!

Love her :D

We took her out today to a local National Trust property and she was very disinterested in the other dogs/sheep, so hopefully we have a non-barky variety!

How gorgeous - I would love a show type Cocker but OH says no!

Thank you - you need to make sure OH thinks it is their idea!! ;)

Luna has now been with us for 2 1/2 days and is very settled. A few pics taken with my phone - it's hard because she doesn't stop moving for long!!!

w004fd.jpg

10ge2vc.jpg

2q06ag0.jpg

mrs7lv.jpg