New dog randomly vomiting ...vet or not?

Greylegs

Visit site
(Sorry for Too Much Information!) .... Our new lad (8 weeks and counting) is in great shape, active, shiny coat, seems happy with life generally, eats well, but occasionally just vomits for no apparent reason. So far this has happened maybe 6-8 times, the latest being this afternoon when we were just getting ready to go for a walk. Getting my coat on, picking up the lead etc etc, dog hopping about happy in the kitchen wanting to go for his run, then just suddenly puked on the floor. He hasn't eaten since breakfast and doesn't seem in any way the worse for it; not sick or sorry or in any way ill. Other times its happened first thing in the morning before he's eaten. His tummy seems settled in every other way, with no diarrhoea or other problems. He's fed on a dry food for sensitive tummies which he devours happily, with occasional additions of small amounts of cooked chicken. Is this a vet job or just one of those "dog with sensitive tummy" things? (He's a whippet/staffie cross if that's relevant). Thanks for any thoughts .....

{97702}

Visit site
A lot depends on what he vomits up? Is it just white froth, or is it green bile, or his previous meal?

Ive noticed over the years that my lurchers do tend to vomit sometimes, more so than the greyhounds - so far it has never been an indicator of anything serious, but it tended to be white froth/slime (sorry!) or similar

Ps - and here I am posting again when I SWORE I wouldn’t, I blame Chiffy myself 😄😄

SusieT

Visit site
I'd rather go for a routine check up then have to goout of hours if it gets worse. I fyou were vomiting you would go to the doctor

Greylegs

Visit site
How old is he?

Does he actually vomit anything up??

We’re not too sure how old he is as he’s a rescue, but our vet thinks maybe 2-3. Yesterday he brought back mostly water which he had just drunk with some tiny bits of food. On other occasions it’s an entire meal (a couple of hours after eating) or just yellow bile (first thing in the morning before eating). Again, apologies for TMI.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
What food are you feeding him?
My dog had similar issues for a while and a solution to the throwing up bile was 3 smaller meals, rather than a bigger breakfast and dinner.

He also turns out to be intolerant of chicken, wheat and a whole other host of nonsense...! So we've cycled through most dog foods trying to find a solution.

{97702}

Visit site
We need your expert input Levrier! 😉

lol Chiffy the haters are going to love that one 😂😂😂

FWIW I would be taking him to the vets for a check up Greylegs, vomiting bile or water wouldn’t concern me as much but he shouldn’t be vomiting his meals up

Greylegs

Visit site
lol Chiffy the haters are going to love that one 😂😂😂

FWIW I would be taking him to the vets for a check up Greylegs, vomiting bile or water wouldn’t concern me as much but he shouldn’t be vomiting his meals up

Thanks for your input. I agree. Think we’ll book him in on Monday.

We feed a basic diet of Cooper and Co dry food for sensitive stomachs and he seems to like it and do well on it. We do add small amounts of cooked chicken and divide his daily ration into two feeds. He also gets occasional biscuits, bonios etc.

I was wondering about feeding more often and adding a small mid day feed. He’s very well in himself generally and vet is happy with his weight now although he was very skinny when we got him.

{97702}

Visit site
Yes I agree that little and often will help him, so if you can manage 3 meals a day then that would be good.

I suspect it might be the case that you take him to the vet & they can find nothing wrong with him immediately as his temperature and other vital signs will all be normal. I’m sure you know this already but if you are able to
recall as much information as possible about each occasion - when he had been fed, what he was doing when he was sick, then that might give the vet some ideas. Good luck, let us know how you get on 😊

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You could try feeding 3 times a day. I do with Daisy.

We feed the (adult) Rotters 3 times per day, equal sized meals, as the amount they need to eat would be too much in fewer meals and one, in particular can be sick with very little provocation - she's a beggar for having a big drink and bringing it back up immediately.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Big dog went through a phase of puking for 3/4 days. I gave him Pepto-Bismol, just a teaspoon before each meal. Cured him both times this happened. I gave mine liquid kaolin too (kid version from any pharmacy, avoid the one with morphine in it, it’s poisonous to dogs and still available in old fashioned pharmacies) and it’s always cured them.

pippixox

Visit site
We used a ‘grass mat’ for our GSD when he had kibble as he wolfed it down so fast.
Current two are quite speedy but I add water and it seems to slow them a little. Or sometimes they get all the kibble sprinkled over the garden to find!

The vets may suggests an exclusion diet. My GSD has lots of allergies and plenty of the ‘sensitive’ feeds he actually reacted to!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We used a ‘grass mat’ for our GSD when he had kibble as he wolfed it down so fast.
Current two are quite speedy but I add water and it seems to slow them a little. Or sometimes they get all the kibble sprinkled over the garden to find!

The vets may suggests an exclusion diet. My GSD has lots of allergies and plenty of the ‘sensitive’ feeds he actually reacted to!

Yes we had a Rottweiler previously who could only eat Salmon and Potato based kibble.
OP, if you feed different flavours of the same kind of feed, that could be the cause of the problem.

Greylegs

Visit site
Planned to go to vets today anyway, and then doggy develops a very sore eye over the weekend !!! so off we went this morning. Sore eye prescribed antibiotic drops but discussed the vomiting as well of course. BEcuase it’s so inconsistent, vet suggested keeping a diary for a couple of weeks to see if there’s a pattern. (Been fine over the weekend, of course). Didn’t want to give me anything as the cause isn’t clear and will take him back immediately if it gets more frequent. Hey ho.

{97702}

Visit site
Oh bother I thought that might be the case Greylegs - personally I find it so difficult when you can’t put your finger on what is happening! Hopefully the ‘smaller meals more often’ idea will help - I’ve had a dog with similar symptoms in the past, but I very much doubt it is what she had. Fingers crossed that things settle down