New fangled girths - are they really worth the money

jenni999

Visit site
As per the title I've seen a couple, I'm sure there are more.

I have a horse with a forward girth groove and use a leather anatomical girth. I keep looking at ones like the Scharf Freedom girth and the Evo Equine Libertey girth but it's an awful lot of money to not know if it's going to make any difference.

I know there are people who swear by the difference they have made, I wonder if they are "professionals". I'm actually more interested in people who found it made no difference (I think).

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have great results with Fairfax girth’s on some horses .
The biggest difference I have ever seen for a bit of new kit was with a Fairfax breastplate the difference in the horses jump left me astonished .

jenni999

Visit site
The biggest difference I have ever seen for a bit of new kit was with a Fairfax breastplate the difference in the horses jump left me astonished .

Re the breastplate, had you tried any other brands to compare that difference?

Roxylola

Visit site
I keep looking at fancy girths, I'm pretty sure some places allow you to pay for a trial first - might be the stubben one I'm thinking of

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I think it’s very much horses for courses, I had my old boy in a fairfax and then later an amerigo girth when we changed saddles which worked well for him. Current horse is in a stubben equisoft and goes nicely in that so that’s what we use.

ozpoz

Visit site
I would always trial first, as I know several people who have bought the latest must have, which doesn't suit their horse and/or saddle. I tend not to change unless there is a problem with the kit I have.

dogatemysalad

Visit site

I have a fairfax girth which is very nice and horse seems to appreciate it.

Nicnac

Visit site
Well they have to pay for their huge marketing campaigns somehow ;)

I am a marketeers worst nightmare as very much of the opinion, if it works and the horse is comfortable then why change. There may be things on the market that would give a bit more shoulder freedom but I'm not paying ridiculous money for whatever it is. Only new fangled thing I tried was a Prolite and horse hated it so reverted back to old and known.

I find sometimes people say something has made an amazing difference as they have to justify to themselves the outlay they have just made. Cynical? Moi?

VioletStripe

Visit site
2 Fairfax saddlers I have used have both said that their girth only brings benefit to particular horses - it wouldn't benefit my boy at all has he has a forward girth groove and a sprung ribcage. Apparently if your saddle has a habit of creeping forward they are a strict no-go.

Some shaped and anatomical girths do really help, I use a cheap as chips Wintec under recommendation of my saddler (despite my original enquiring about the Fairfax to go with my jump saddle) and have found it the best for us. I think it largely depends on what suits your horse and your saddle.

VioletStripe

Visit site
2 Fairfax saddlers I have used have both said that their girth only brings benefit to particular horses - it wouldn't benefit my boy at all has he has a forward girth groove and a sprung ribcage. Apparently if your saddle has a habit of creeping forward they are a strict no-go.

Some shaped and anatomical girths do really help, I use a cheap as chips Wintec under recommendation of my saddler (despite my original enquiring about the Fairfax to go with my jump saddle) and have found it the best for us. I think it largely depends on what suits your horse and your saddle.

Follow-up to this - I really think speaking with your saddler is good to do when having a check and massively under-utilised. Most of my friends haven't spoken to their saddler/saddle fitter about girth options and I think their opinion really counts when seeing the conformation of the horse, how the saddle sits, and how it can move.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve had a Fairfax and a Prolite on my two and now have reverted to a plain leather on one and a string girth on the other. The prolite rubbed without a cover and the Fairfax started out ok but then rubbed behind the shoulder.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

Interesting as I hear plenty saying they're getting one because of a forwards girth groove, and FF marketing might even have said the same thing at least in the past. Forward girth grooves tend to go with big bellies, and the rear edge of the girth will dig in.

Follow-up to this - I really think speaking with your saddler is good to do when having a check and massively under-utilised. Most of my friends haven't spoken to their saddler/saddle fitter about girth options and I think their opinion really counts when seeing the conformation of the horse, how the saddle sits, and how it can move.

Absolutely, different pads, girths and choice of girth straps can affect the fit massively. I would always recommend asking their advice first, however I find it hard to advise on girths sometimes even for my own customers, horses are so individual.

Dressage girths are trickier but for long girths I seldom fail with one of these three:

Atherstone, elasticated (strong!) both ends, ergonomic shaping can be helpful, but well shaped for elbows, and a wide shaped center panel, not the old fashioned ones with a narrow band.

Stubben cord girth - the classic. Only tends to cause issues if the horse has a very "pouchy" girth groove where the girth may fold over on itself and pinch.

Harry Dabbs Platinum Curved Waffle Girth - can hose down, good, triple, criss crossed elastic. Don't over girth, the sprung tongues do seem to ruin girth straps if you do.

Griffin

Visit site
I bought a Prolite after discussion with my saddle fitter and it has helped my mare. However, I am considering a cheaper Wintec because I find the Prolite can rub when her coat changes.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Well they have to pay for their huge marketing campaigns somehow ;)

I am a marketeers worst nightmare as very much of the opinion, if it works and the horse is comfortable then why change. There may be things on the market that would give a bit more shoulder freedom but I'm not paying ridiculous money for whatever it is. Only new fangled thing I tried was a Prolite and horse hated it so reverted back to old and known.

I find sometimes people say something has made an amazing difference as they have to justify to themselves the outlay they have just made. Cynical? Moi?

Are you me ? :)
I'm the marketing people's worst nightmare too. I usually get round to buying something after after it's been on the market for 20 years. However, after collaboration with the physio and saddler, I went for the Fairfax and it's doing a good job so far in that it's changed his way of going and the muscle tightness, thought to be due to his previous girth, hasn't returned.
My previous favourite girth was made by Kay Humpries and was perfect for previous horses, but just not for the current one. That girth was an investment piece of tack, but after nearly 18 years, its paid me back. Fingers crossed that the Fairfax gives equal service.
Buying new kit for different horses can be an expensive minefield. My dream would be to be a top professional with a string of companies banging on the door with offers to trial their new products.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I think it's horses for courses, I've tried a few 'new' girths.

I'm still with the fairfax/prolite (for both horses) as it did increase shoulder freedom compared with a straight girth, and keeps the saddle still as it doesn't have elastic.

I tried a H Wow girth but it didn't fix the issue of the saddle sliding backwards so sold it (Skylla who was a tricky shape).

I also bought the Stubbon Equisoft which produced the most results in front limb freedom, however as it was all elastic the saddle would not stay still on a rather round Topaz :p, so this got sold too.

So, there are definite plus points but it very much depends on the horses shape, the saddle, etc, etc.

Goldenstar

Visit site

One of my horses was a devil for shifting the saddle forwards a Fairfax girth was way the best for him .
However although he was if anything wide between his forelegs he much preferred a narrow gauge girth .