New fencing layout - how narrow could a 'funnel' be without creating a 'trap point'?

HappyNeds

Visit site
Sorry for the long title - but didn't know how else to describe my question!

We are currently designing a fencing layout for our field, we have footpaths crossing at funny places to accommodate, and one design we have come up with means one of the large paddocks will have a short 'funnel' in one corner ending at a hedge - we cannot just close off the 'funnel' because of a footpath.

Basically - how narrow can it be, whilst still being safe for our horses, we don't want to create a 'trap point'. Our horses to get on very well, but you never know, and one is still the 'boss' and will move the others on if he wants to, so I don't want to create a situation that will cause problems.

So, what would be ok, 10 meters wide, or should it be more like 15 or 18 meters wide?

This funnel bit will be about 40 meters long, and it could either be straight, or it could open out as it joins the main large paddock, which might help it look less 'enclosed'?

Any thoughts, or advice from your own experiences would be appreicated. Don't want to get this wrong - moving permanent fencing once it's there is not really an option! :):)

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Need more details size/shape of field, location of footpath and gates etc.. Can you draw a plan and attach?

How many horses and what size are they?

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
I can't properly envisage what you have in mind but I would have thought 10m (33') is enough room for horses to turn around and get out of the way (depending how many you have in together). Could you map it out with a bit of electric fencing or similar just to see what it actually looks like in reality, better if you have horses around too. Measurements on paper sometimes don't give you the feeling of space so sometimes better to see it in position. Also if you have to cut the hedge make sure you can get to it with machinery if used.