New Forest Ponies- all born in may ?

shadowboy

Visit site
According to the passports of all the Forest Bred NF ponies I have seen they all have May as their date of birth. Does anyone own a NF that is Forest Bred with any other month?

Since owning mine I am very interested in the breed. so just being nosey really.

NeilM

Visit site
My lads DOB is June which I have confirmed with his breeder, and my wife's NF's DOB is shown in the passport as January, but we're not sure about that.

shadowboy

Visit site
Thats interesting- so they were forest bred? i.e. born in the forest then rounded up in september/october?

Tnavas

Visit site
Many years ago the 'Official' birthday for TB's was 1st January and anything else 1st May - maybe it goes back to this. As they will never be 100% sure what date the foals are born they give them all the same date.

Twinkletoes

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
According to the passports of all the Forest Bred NF ponies I have seen they all have May as their date of birth. Does anyone own a NF that is Forest Bred with any other month?

Since owning mine I am very interested in the breed. so just being nosey really.

[/ QUOTE ]

My forest bred has a dob of April Fools Day lol, which is about right, so no, def not all 1 May.

vieshot

Visit site
Nope, i have one born in june and the other july. If you want to learn more about the breed i suggest you visit www.nfed.co.uk lots of info and they have forums like these where majority of owners on there are or have been new forest pony owners.

Fransurrey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Many years ago the 'Official' birthday for TB's was 1st January and anything else 1st May - maybe it goes back to this. As they will never be 100% sure what date the foals are born they give them all the same date.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, every day's a school day! I thought it was 1st Jan for everything and have therefore had this put as my exmoor's DOB for the last 9 years. No one has corrected me, either. Oops!

PennyJ

Visit site
My understanding is that "May" goes down as the birth date if the owner of the dam doesn't know exactly which day the foal was born on. Its not always possible to find them every day if they go off and hide themselves away which some of them do.

I have one with this "May" birth date, the other one has a full birthday which is sometime in July.

Some of this years foals were popping out at the end of March, but now we're in May they are coming thick and fast, more and more of them every day now.