New Forest Ponies v Welsh D's

pocket

Visit site
Help.....I have always been a Welsh D owner/freak
crazy.gif
and vowed only to have Welsh ponies, however......a friend of mine has 4 New Forest (reg) 2yr olds that need homes (i'm also partial to rescues
crazy.gif
)

Now having always owned D's I have not got a clue about NF ponies and showing them etc, as I would want to show them as still a member on PUK. Can anyone give me any pointers on what to look for and how to keep them (long hair/trimmed etc).

I'm going to have a look in 2 weeks and sure to say yes....
crazy.gif
because I have no will power! I'm quite keen to start driving at some point, are NF good for driving??????

Questions, questions! What can be said is that he, if I do say yes, will have a long lasting home whatever, same as Ralph my RSPCA rescue or big bay boy in sig......12 years later
grin.gif

Fleur100

www.welhamstud.co.uk
I am a NF breeder so will declare my biais.... NFs brilliant, fantastic performance ponies, excel in all spheres including driving. They have a very laid back attitude to life and are easy to handle.

Showing criteria is the same for most M&M. NFs can be lightly trimmed but must not have their whiskers removed and when clipped must have their legs left on. There are plenty classes & chanpionships for M&Ms at PUK

There is lots more information on the 2 sites newforestpony.com & newforestpony.co.uk
Also if you go to Hamlets House you will find a large NF community (& Welsh) there.

daisy27

Visit site
Newfies every time
grin.gif

Having bought a 4yr old from JM07 in november, couldn't be happier with him, hasn't put a foot wrong, tries his best to please you with anything you ask..

In comparison my niece has a section d who is very entertaining, reversing instead of going forwards, little bunny hops, bucks with excitment..

Different breeds give you different things, personal choice. I'm a newfie convert
grin.gif
grin.gif

Sarahgema

Visit site
Welshies every time! I have a section D which I do everything on from dressage and showing to xc and western. I also have a Section C which which and drives - he is so flashy so looks fantastic when been driven!

DuckToller

Visit site
Hmm, what went wrong with my Newfie then?! Would agree with performance pony, but mine is ever-so-slightly, how can I put it...NUTS! But that is probably down to past management. Very friendly pony, when I can catch him
grin.gif

Worried1

Visit site
Does Ralph know he may have comeptition
wink.gif

Woody my second pony was a NF and while not the best looking lad on the block he was awsesome, hunted all day and was as safe as houses. He lacked the sparkle of the Welsh but then that suited me as I have never been brave.

He did all PC stuff and was mr reliable
smile.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My friend picks up ungelded newfies about 4 to break and sell on. Most of them are fab, really accepting quick to break and makes great allround ponies. A couple of them have been a bit more of a nightmare and you couldn't get near them.

Lovely ponies, from the ones I have known they have a little less spunk and look at me about them than welshes (I have one of those) and not really convinced medium trot is worth it!! but are great ponies and should drive well.

Think I would prefer a welsh though.

mandk

Visit site
NF all the way for me - again I have one - had her since she was 2yo and she is now 14yo - she will always be with me, love her to bits and done everything with her- from in hand showing to SJ and my husband is currently teaching her to drive!!

Agree they are true all rounders and love to enjoy life!

Taffster

Visit site
I like nf but think they are a pretty standard pony - very versatile like the welsh but again lacks the spark and unique way of going that a sec d has. Have come across lots in showing and never been beaten by one except our first ever workers where a nf stallion won.

SO1

Visit site
I have a NF and he is certainy not a standard pony. He has beaten welshes in showing so it can be done!

I don't have the funds to drive him but he came 2nd in an hand best driving type class. The judge said not just the way they look and moved but also the temperment is very important with driving ponies especially if you are going on the roads.

My NF also has a cracking jump - he had no problems jumping the same jumps as the horses do at RC rallies. He is a little quirky in that he won't stable and he is a real herd pony in that he loves to be living out in a friendly group so could not live on his own. But then I think the most talented ponies often have their quirks.

If you are thinking of driving then you might be better off with the chunkier sort of forester rather than the sportier ones - mine is chunky rather than sporty looking - but that does not stop him being competitive.

This is the sort of build he has in his winter woolies

homeystable002.jpg

and in the summer at a show

homeyshow001.jpg

tabithakat64

Visit site
New Forest are generally less quirky and less flashy and make really good all round types, there is the odd bad one but most are very kind with good natures.
It's generally thought by NF breeders that stocky up to height NF are capable of carrying 11 stone quiet happily for all activities, they are often ridden by full grown men during the NF round ups.
I love Newfies and would have one in a flash if I wasn't so heavy
laugh.gif

They are, in general much easier to get on with than Welsh D's in my experience anyway
smile.gif
I wouldn't swap my Welsh D for the world though
laugh.gif

natalia

Visit site
I love nf ponies! I have a 2 yr old at the moment and he's massive! i think he may well be over height (not that that bothers me in the slightest as I wanted something bigger). I bought mine with a friend for £100 from duckhurst sales. We couldn't leave him where he was, he was with some horrible people who were kicking him and pulling him around, and had only come off the forest 2 weeks before , before being carted off to another sale. He is a nice stamp of a newfie, with a lovely front end, slightly boxy feet but we shall sort them in time. I always had NF ponies when I was little, and have never had any problems with them. They have all been easy to handle, genuine and willing little chaps, and done well at all pc. the last adult i had i got given as 4yr old, when his owner could no longer cope. He did everything (was a little mentally slow to get going though) enjoyed his jumping, did pc and was a fantastic little hunter, very sensible and also a brilliant hack. I sold him in the end as could only keep one/two horses and had 3! And he was better suited to a low level pc home than anything too competitive!

horseygirl28

Visit site
Welsh D's for me as my horse of 8 years is a Welsh D, for all his Welsh D 'quirks' i love him to bits !!

However I do like the NF pony. Had 4 NF ponies and all have had fantastic temprements and have gone onto become super ponies. They seem to take on any job and do it well. One of the ones I had has gone onto become a very good BSJA pony.

Archie07

Visit site
NF's definately! They are such fantastic ponies and can be very under rated IMO. I have shared two in the past and now have a 2 yr old gelding. They are so versatile that they can either be completely laid back or super performance ponies and they have plenty of character and spark.

I would definately have a forester over the bolshy, difficult to handle/ ride welshies at my yard currently!
smirk.gif
grin.gif

Taffster

Visit site
You should have mine for a week, youd be converted to a welsh lover in no time at all! When your all describing d's on here it doesnt sounds like your describing mine!

pocket

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does Ralph know he may have comeptition
wink.gif

Woody my second pony was a NF and while not the best looking lad on the block he was awsesome, hunted all day and was as safe as houses. He lacked the sparkle of the Welsh but then that suited me as I have never been brave.

He did all PC stuff and was mr reliable
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No Ralph is not aware that Mum has been speaking to a man about a NF!! Going to have a look after my night shifts, there are 4 that need homes and I'm a glutten for a rescue!!!

SpruceRI

Visit site
I love both breeds!

I bought 2 weanling New Forests in the sales a few years ago and sold them when they were 3yrs old. A big regret!

I was too big to ride either of them really, but they were such lovely fun girlies.

I've also got 2 Welsh Cobs which fit my size better, and they're a lot of fun too.

The difference between the Newfies and Welsh Cobs I've owned or loaned so far is the Newfies have had calmer temperaments than the D's, which made them better hacks and generally a safer feel, but still were whizzy and fun like the D's.

Go buy one I say!!