New Forest ponies

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I am thinking about adding to the herd (of two lol) in the next year or two and expect I will have to go for a youngster and send it away somewhere to be backed etc. I have access to a good young stock livery if needed.

I am fairly sold on a Dales or possibly another Fell buuut, I had a NF x TB as a kid and he was a fab pony. We don’t see many NF up here! I would need a full up 14h-14.2h and substantial (there seems to be a lot of lighter ones about). There used to be a male poster in here who had a super NF but havent seen any others quite as substantial.
any lines/studs to recommend? Like the look of the Farringdon ponies too if anyone has any thoughts.

Marigold4

Visit site
I bought one last year and she is fab. They seem to be able to do everything a connie can do but half the price. Very few reach 14.2 though. I'll probably get shot down by purists, but there would be a good market for over-sized 15hh if someone could be persuaded to breed them.

Here's mine. She's 13.3 and 3 years old. Sadly too smallROB_1191-001.jpg for me so I'll have to find a home with a young rider next year.

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
We bought 2 NF foals - one 16 and one 17 years ago. One was supposed to reach approx 14.2 and she did - she managed 14 hh. The other was also expected to reach a similar height, but she is not much over 13.1 hh. The 14 hh one (Poppy) is study, sensible, very responsive and delightful to ride. I would describe her type as 'true to breed' ie strong enough to carry a 'strong man home after a days work'! But if trained I know she would do a lovely dressage test!
The studs I bought from may not still exist. Poppy is a Lovelyhill girl. She was forest bred and when we bought her, the mares had been brought in, so we saw a large number of the stud's stock.
I choose Pippin because her sire was stocky and talented, but she has turned out like a miniature warm blood, is hot headed and opinionated, but is very very pretty if rather narrow. She is an Applewitch. I did eventually find the details of the ponies in her pedigree and there was a 13.1 stallion a couple of generations back. Others from that stud look study and traditional. Pippin looked sturdy as a foal too but she didn't mature that way.
If you choose a mare watch out for long backs! Useful for breeding and prevalent in the breed - at least when we were buying. Also be aware of hereditary muscle disease which has recently been found in the breed.
We love our girls and they have a home for life with us.
Good luck!
BTW Poppy was a day off the forest when we bought her and 'gentling her' was one of the highlights of my life!

asmp

Visit site
Willoway lines are generally full up and of substance. Farriers and Wayland lines also good.

Farringdon’s are lovely but would say they are slightly on the finer side if you’re looking for a more traditional forester.

Our Appy‘s sire is a Willoway and we often wonder where the NF is as he is a nearly 15.3 chunky horse ?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
We bought 2 NF foals - one 16 and one 17 years ago. One was supposed to reach approx 14.2 and she did - she managed 14 hh. The other was also expected to reach a similar height, but she is not much over 13.1 hh. The 14 hh one (Poppy) is study, sensible, very responsive and delightful to ride. I would describe her type as 'true to breed' ie strong enough to carry a 'strong man home after a days work'! But if trained I know she would do a lovely dressage test!
The studs I bought from may not still exist. Poppy is a Lovelyhill girl. She was forest bred and when we bought her, the mares had been brought in, so we saw a large number of the stud's stock.
I choose Pippin because her sire was stocky and talented, but she has turned out like a miniature warm blood, is hot headed and opinionated, but is very very pretty if rather narrow. She is an Applewitch. I did eventually find the details of the ponies in her pedigree and there was a 13.1 stallion a couple of generations back. Others from that stud look study and traditional. Pippin looked sturdy as a foal too but she didn't mature that way.
If you choose a mare watch out for long backs! Useful for breeding and prevalent in the breed - at least when we were buying. Also be aware of hereditary muscle disease which has recently been found in the breed.
We love our girls and they have a home for life with us.
Good luck!
BTW Poppy was a day off the forest when we bought her and 'gentling her' was one of the highlights of my life!

is that PSSM? they seem to be testing for it in breeding stock I think? Good tips though-I usually go for colts/geldings but quite fancy a mare next time. I think maybe they won’t be quite big enough and that and not being very near to any breeders might make it too difficult but will do some more research-they are so pretty.

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
s that PSSM? they seem to be testing for it in breeding stock I think?
I have seen it described as PSSM1 but I don't know. I have also seen myotonia referred to which is a hereditary muscular disease that is seen in foals.
I am not following developments as its unlikely we will have another NF pony. My youngsters are Connemara and one is symptomatic for PSSM2 so we have just begun our PSSM2 journey :(

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Mine is 13.2hh and substantially built. He is frequently mistaken for 14.2 ish (until he's stood next to a 14.2hh) an I'm 5'6-5'7 and don't look stupidly tall on him.

I think he's great - he's got some strong opinions and being forest born and run for a few years, took some time to come around to the idea of being a civilised pony. He's safe, sensible and tough but with a fun streak - he makes me laugh out loud, daily! He's turned his hoof to most things over the years - he doesn't find dressage particularly enthralling and doesnt give any more than asked or is entirely necessary - but he'll hack for hours over any terrain (from commons, forests, farmland to over and next to motorways, train tracks and on roads through villages) and has a decent pop in him.

My criticisms of my experience of the breed would be that if you're looking for something with a bit of 'flair' they tend to be plainer looking and moving then say their Welsh counterparts but I think NFs are great and would definitely get another (a full bred or part bred).

I've heard good things about the Merrie Stud and another whose name escapes me but can find out for you ..

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Mine is Lovelyhill lines and is 13.2hh and substantially built. He is frequently mistaken for 14.2 ish (until he's stood next to a 14.2hh) an I'm 5'6-5'7 and don't look stupidly tall on him.

I think he's great - he's got some strong opinions and being forest born and run for a few years, took some time to come around to the idea of being a civilised pony. He's safe, sensible and tough but with a fun streak - he makes me laugh out loud, daily! He's turned his hoof to most things over the years - he doesn't find dressage particularly enthralling and doesnt give any more than asked or is entirely necessary - but he'll hack for hours over any terrain (from commons, forests, farmland to over and next to motorways, train tracks and on roads through villages) and has a decent pop in him.

My criticisms of my experience of the breed would be that if you're looking for something with a bit of 'flair' they tend to be plainer looking and moving then say their Welsh counterparts but I think NFs are great and would definitely get another (a full bred or part bred).

I've heard good things about the Merrie Stud and another whose name escapes me but can find out for you ..

thank you-I don’t need flash, I need fun and nothing bonkers. I like my natives and he’s not alone in finding dressage not enthralling ?. I like to hack and do some tree and horse archery. My Fell is 13.3h though and ideally I want something a little taller and a little less wide!

SO1

Visit site
Here is a collage I have made for my new forest pony he is 19 now. He is 13.3 and a well built type. I do a bit of everything with him.

I got him him when he was 5 and I am a rider of little talent but have managed to do lots of amazing things with him over the last 14 years.

Currently on box rest and controlled walking for tendonitis and yesterday was horrible weather but we did our 30 minutes of ridden rehab work and he was no trouble despite being on box rest and dreadful weather.

He is a good Le Trec pony and has been to Royal Windsor and I have taken him to county shows. Next year I hope to learn sidesaddle on him (vet says he should recover from his tendonitis and be able to do this).

He is a Lovelyhill pony with Applewitch breeding. If you like my pony he has sired Portmore Thundercloud who is a breeding stallion so there will be youngstock from this line around.

Two things to consider about new forests they are clever and you need decent fencing as some of them have a habit of escaping. They are often very good doers and weight management can be an issue.

Prices of new forest are quite high at the moment. The PSSM test is cheap and easy. As an ex breeding stallion my pony was tested as part of the breed society scheme and is negative.

FB_IMG_1633174824788.jpg

supertramp

Visit site
I have a 20year old New Forest, Ive had him since he was 5. hes a delight to take out , although in the early days it was all far to exciting, he can turn his hoof to most things and is happy to have a go at anything new, hes a gentle soul to be around and brilliant with kids, however he has a cheeky side and the spin and drop still comes out of nowhere and seems to amuse him! Hes great in the heaviest traffic, and general good egg and all rounder, Oh yes, and hes pushing 14.3hhPIP B Small.jpg

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Lovely ponies! Good doers not a problem, I have an Exmoor and a Fell already. Fell adept at opening gates and stable doors although both thankfully respectful of electric fencing.

Cloball

Visit site
Lomondside stud in Drymen used to breed NFs and occasionally have youngsters for sale. Lovely people too. I think they are one of the few NF people up in Scotland. Their ponies used to do working hunter and dressage to a decent level. Might be worth a shout?
I learnt to ride on NFs cracking ponies ? I also like to peruse the stallion website lots of pics and info on there.

suebou

Visit site
My 28 year old Knightwood nf mare has been an absolute joy. She’s done PC, NPS performance awards , is always up for a bit faster, ignores traffic, leg at each corner but not as wide as a fell, 13.2 but rides bigger, can do dressage but would rather not! Stupid internet won’t load photo…..

SEL

Visit site
I've got a feral 17yo one if you want a project. Apparently bought from the NF sales as a 2yo, chucked in a field and minimal handling since - I bought the field and the pony came with it!

He's about 14h and quite stocky (fat) but he does have quite a long back so interested to see the post above. More workman like in looks than most of the other natives.

At his age I'm not planning to do anything other than basic welfare while he keeps an OAP company, but I'm 5'3" and he'd have easily carried me and looks a useful sort. Waste really but I doubt he knows that.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Lomondside stud in Drymen used to breed NFs and occasionally have youngsters for sale. Lovely people too. I think they are one of the few NF people up in Scotland. Their ponies used to do working hunter and dressage to a decent level. Might be worth a shout?
I learnt to ride on NFs cracking ponies ? I also like to peruse the stallion website lots of pics and info on there.

I thought Lomondside had stopped breeding but even if they have they are probably worth talking to if they have the time.

Ratface

Visit site
The above post was directed to super tramp, but is relevant to the other posts too.
In my childhood, I was taught by an Exmoor, a Dartmoor, a New Forester and a Fell Pony. My first horse , at 14, was a retired polo pony. Since then, it's been Arabians all the way.
I've been asked to support a young woman who has a New Forest mare. Fingers crossed, folk!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Normally Beaulieu Road pony sales are held at the saleyard but due to Covid they were cancelled. There have been 2 successful sales held on-line. Sadly due to vandalism the sale yard is having to be re-built so hence the sale next month.

cumbriamax

Visit site
I have wanted a new forest pony for many years, as MoC said we see very little of them up North. There used to be a lovely NF stallion locally called Willoway Highland Malt who seemed to be a really good ambassador for the breed. Having, lost two old horses this year I have been perusing the NFED for sale pages online looking at youngstock for sale. I would be looking for something like Willoway Highland Malt, from memory he looked about 14hh and seemed to have the substance, he used to do dressage - just need to sort the transport from Hampshire/New Forest area.

Cloball

Visit site
I thought Lomondside had stopped breeding but even if they have they are probably worth talking to if they have the time.
They've definitely had a 1 or 2 youngsters for sale in the past couple of years but I think their stallion is retired. I had a lessons on one of theirs who did medium dressage (possible advanced? ) And he was lush one of the nicest ponies I've ever sat on and so in front of you. I'd love to go to the sales one day. Or sure I trust myself though.