New Forest Riders

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I'm getting a tiny bit a head of myself (probably thought boredom) I'm not too far from the new forest but I've never ridden there because my mare is a total stress head, always had to ride alone

So my boy is going away to be backed NEXT WEEK (arrgghhh) and I'm thinking once he's going nicely, I'd like to go down to the New Forest with him and the pony that I'm riding, as a granddaddy for my youngster!

but have been trying to find some maps online of where to hack but can't find anything of any use! so where do you find them?

Also I go totally lost down there on my bike a few years back, so don't fancy doing that on horse back hehe!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Are you planning to stay or just do a day trip? The north of the forest is quieter than the south. If you look about the Fritham area there are a number of pubs and the ice cream van goes to Janesmoor during the holidays. :)

Best thing I'd do is get hold of an OS map. Or arrange to meet with someone from HHO.

scrat

Visit site
The Forest can be a tricky place to hack out if you're not sure where to go. A map will help but if you have a young horse and it's Summer you should be aware that some areas can be very busy with tourists and the accompanying leisure activities. You will encounter other ponies of course and cows,donkeys ( usually around the local pubs) and in some areas pigs and sheep roaming free. I found this which may be helpful www.ridenewforest.com. It is a beautiful place but you need to be careful unless you stick to known routes.