New Forest Sales

Halfpass

Visit site
Thinking of going to the new forest sales in october to get a couple of youngsters to bring on while I can't ride over the winter. Have a field opposite my house that the farmer said I could use for them. Plan to get them halter trained then lunged long reined backed and probably driven then probably sell them on. (or may even keep one for my neice
smirk.gif
) Does anyone have any idea how much they go for? Would ideally like 2/3/4 year old but would consider yearlings. Also does anyone have any advice on buying etc.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
£150 ish for a decent breakable pony. Prices go up from there. If you go on www.nfed.co.uk - you will be able to download the catalogue nearer the time. You WILL need a stable at first because the majority are literally wild. Fine to turn out after a month - but probably not before. After all that should be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Lightweight turnout rugs at clearance prices, all sizes, pm me for details

MillionDollar

Visit site
Both my New Forests came from the sales (hence their names in my signature, lol), although i didn't buy them, but i know the person who did really well. She told me last week that both of them were the 'better' ones and she paid around £150 each. Others go for as little as £50 or even less. I really want to go next year. Good luck let us know what you get,
oh and by the way NFs are just great to teach they get it so quickly. One of my mares, Teazle, took 3 days to be broken into harness.
grin.gif

Halfpass

Visit site
do you know what kind of age they are when they are sold? I would like something that I can start over the winter so needs to be at least 21/2 i suppose. I'll be too big to back them but luckily friends with little people. I'm so excited.
Whats the best way to transport them? I have an ifor 510 and thought about travelling them loose?!

cariadssogreat

Visit site
I think you get a lot of foals at the october sales. Other than that you will probably find that they go anything up to 18yrs old, or at least they did at the August Sales I went to. Downloading a catalogue nearer the time is the best bet. We travelled ours in a trailer loose - top doors shut obviously lol!, 510 should be fine, take the partitions out and put some straw down , sorted. I don't blame you for being excited, its good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile horse clipping service in Dorset/Hants/Wilts (07909) 503966

eekmon

Visit site
I went ot the N F sales when I was about 13 ( Many moons ago
blush.gif
) Cried and cried most of the day ( mares an foals being dragged apart ect! ) Think I would like to go again, not as a hormonal teen this time!!
blush.gif
Have known many people who have bought cracking ponies off the forest!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
They won't allow you to travel anything from the sales unless they are loose. so no partitions.

You get allsorts of ages, and they are very wild! YO got a cracking little stallion at last years sales and he has been fab. He was completely wild. He went through all her fencing, ended up in with mares (luckily AFTER he had been cut) but calmed down and did PUK this year. Go onto the NF website and try to get aquainted with some of the popular stallions names, then you can have a look if there's anything in the catalogue by them.