New forest sales

Halfpass

Visit site
Decided on a whim to go to the sales tomorrow so I am after some advice, probably won't buy anything this time but its exciting just going to browse.

What sort of price do the pure bred yearlings make?
Are any of the really cheap ponies any good?
What are the best breeding lines to look out for?
If you buy do you have to remove them same day?

Halfpass

Visit site
which is why i'm not taking my trailer. Far too tempting!!! Although may change my mind in the morning.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
no 1... depends what pure bred it is, if it's one of the better lines then up to 400. Anything from 100 quid upwards.
no 2....the cheap 20 quid ones you mean? lol, I've never seen a mature one so wouldnt know, but wouldnt expect them to make anything above 12hh.
no 3....jeez, most of the better lines are sold beforehand, but look out for willoway, burley, limekiln, farriers, applewich etc. go to www.newforestpony.com for more...
no 3...yes, you do need to take it on the day. BUT there are plenty of men who will transport for you, but expect to pay about 300 quid. If you take a trailer yourself beware that they won't allow you to travel anything tied up or in a box/trailer with partitions. There are more sales in november so go tomorrow and look, then go back in november and buy.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Oh i see you're in east sussex, so transport costs would be less.

Don't buy from your first sale lol unless you know what you're looking at!

Halfpass

Visit site
Great advice thanks.

Can't believe you can buy a NF pony for £20.
shocked.gif

Just looking throught the catalogue and noticed some bigger horses that aren't NF are these generally rubbish?

Had planned on going back in Nov to buy one or two this is just a looking visit (don't think we'll get a foal in the back of a smart car!!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
you can get something before the meatman for 20 quid if you're lucky. This is rare though lol.

I don't know what the bigger horses are, but I would stick to buying a pure NF if you can as they have a temperament to die for.