New Forests..Anyone have one?

Boysy

Visit site
Been a lurker for a while now but decided to plunge in

Just wondered if any of you have a New Forest pony and what saddles have you found to be the best fit? Having an absolute nightmare so far, flat backed, no withers, short backed and round as a barrel, obviously permanently on weightwatchers *grins* can't work out smiley icons yet !

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Oh i know tell me about it!! I was rather jammy and my friend sold me this lovely soft flexie leather saddle for £150! close contacts always good noramly having just half sides (u know the thing with girth straps -blonde moment-) Hate to say it but wintecs etc fit all
crazy.gif

Boysy

Visit site
Tried a Wintec, tree is too banana for her, had a Saddle Co made to measure and it didn't *sulks* Waiting on them to come out and see what went wrong...

Was thinking of trying the Thorowgood T4 Cob or the Maxam Cob, both budget range, neither of which my local saddlers stock but can get in but thinking these may be too banana as well unless the trees are flatter?

Would like to stay part synthetic if I can as I am a grown-up pony lover so want to keep the weight down, polymer stirrups and all that as well.

I'll go have a nosy at that website forester, thanx

Got told today to perhaps try an Ideal Classic? *gulps* yep at £650 I am sure you would like me to try that !

HOWEN

Visit site
I have a New Forest pony! At the moment I have him in a wide Maxam, its been a fab for his 1st saddle but saving my pennies for a forrester. My friend has one on her NF and it fits really well.
laugh.gif

Boysy

Visit site
Any idea what the prices are for the Foresters? Can't seem to move around that webby at all?

Does your Maxam bounce at all at the back? The one I tried was too curved for her. At the mo she is in an Eclipse synthetic.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
YO breeds nf's. she has a saddle co native for her stallion, it's beautiful, but pricey.
i have a maxam synthetic x wide for a table top backed, no withered pony and it fits a dream.

HOWEN

Visit site
It fits really well doesnt bounce at all. I use the 1st and 4th girth straps. The only reason i want a new saddle is for showing but i will be keeping the Maxam for hacking out and going to the beach.

sojeph

Visit site
Have a heinz 57 pony but she has no withers, wide shoulders and have had terrible trouble finding a saddle that doesn't shoot forwards and roll. I now have a saddle co saddle and use a stubben cord girth with it as recommended by saddle fitter and it doesn't budge an inch!
grin.gif

Boysy

Visit site
Yep, the Saddle Co was more of a horse saddle althou it was only 16 & 1/2 and I had balance and point as extras, she looked as thou she had dipped in her mums dressing up box for the day and after she rodeoed 3 times, I decided it was for the best to remove it before she removed me as it flew down her neck ! Not sure if they can re-template it but heres hoping *crosses fingers and toes*

Mmm, so the Maxam is sounding a pretty good alternative at the moment and cheap to boot, what a bonus ! Think I'll give my fitter a call again tomorrow and get her to get one in for me to try. Definitely need the point and balance straps, marvelous inventions !

Boysy

Visit site
Oh poo bum, Ideal is just out of budget for me as are the Saddle Exchange ones, I was up for £500 for the Saddle Co but that's top whack and even that means scrape on toast for the forseeable future...

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, the Saddle Co was more of a horse saddle althou it was only 16 & 1/2 and I had balance and point as extras, she looked as thou she had dipped in her mums dressing up box for the day and after she rodeoed 3 times, I decided it was for the best to remove it before she removed me as it flew down her neck ! Not sure if they can re-template it but heres hoping *crosses fingers and toes*

Mmm, so the Maxam is sounding a pretty good alternative at the moment and cheap to boot, what a bonus ! Think I'll give my fitter a call again tomorrow and get her to get one in for me to try. Definitely need the point and balance straps, marvelous inventions !

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear that doesn't sound good!! My pony bucked when she first wore her sadlle and I have a feeling it was the serge! I now use it with a non slip pad as a numnah and she's fine. Before that I had a maxam x wide (used with the above non slip numnah!) and it rocked all over the place. I also tried a Wintec with no luck. Hope your saddle fitter can find something for you!