New Hat Needed for Showjumping

sammiea

Visit site
My yard hat has finally seen better days so I will be down grading my show hat (a GPA speed air) to my yard hat which in turns means I'm now in the position to go hat shopping.

There are so many options out there now! The prices vary massively! I don't know where to begin, so I thought I'd see what people are wearing and why and would you recommend it?

Please don't start debates over safety standards I just want to know what's out there and why you personally chose it and what you personally think of it :)

Bantry

Visit site
My yard hat has finally seen better days so I will be down grading my show hat (a GPA speed air) to my yard hat which in turns means I'm now in the position to go hat shopping.

There are so many options out there now! The prices vary massively! I don't know where to begin, so I thought I'd see what people are wearing and why and would you recommend it?

Please don't start debates over safety standards I just want to know what's out there and why you personally chose it and what you personally think of it :)

Love my Samshield! I also have a Gatehouse conquest which I quite like. If money were no object I'd get an Antares. I like the look of the Pro-Tector hats but when I tried one on it looked like a mushroom on my head :(
The Charles Owen Ayr8 is also very popular and affordable

ellie_e

Visit site
I also have a GPA Speed air and after much mumming and arhhing decided to go for a KEP! They are lovely and lightweight with full protection which also allows me to use it for RC stuff aswell as BS. The mother has a PROtector hat but I prefer the KEP

ellie_e

Visit site
Love my Samshield! I also have a Gatehouse conquest which I quite like. If money were no object I'd get an Antares. I like the look of the Pro-Tector hats but when I tried one on it looked like a mushroom on my head :(
The Charles Owen Ayr8 is also very popular and affordable

Be careful with Shamshield as not kite marked so can't use them for everything, I only found this out recently as I looked them too!

dressage_diva

Visit site
Personally I absolutely adore my Uvex succeed active. It's so comfy, lightweight and it looks really smart :) The dial at the back means it's fully adjustable - great as I often wear my hair slightly differently depending on what I'm doing! I like the fact the strap isn't nylon but feels like leather.

http://www.uvex-sports.com/de-en/equestrian/riding-helmets/d/suxxeed-active-black-mat/

If you like to look on trend, Uvex hats seem to be everywhere at the moment too - lots of riders been wearing them on both the eventing and dressage scenes (I'm not so au fait with the SJing scene I'm afraid). I first heard about them on here years ago and ended up buying one very cheaply whilst visiting Aachen (I paid about £60 and I think they retailed over £100 in the UK then!). You might find you can buy them cheaper online abroad and pay for it to be shipped over.

Bantry

Visit site
Be careful with Shamshield as not kite marked so can't use them for everything, I only found this out recently as I looked them too!

Who (what authority) would be checking if a hat has a kite mark for showjumping? I know hats for xc get tagged and since the Samshield has fixed peak it wouldn't be suitable regardless of a kite mark. There are plenty of eventers wearing the Samshield for the sj phase.

ellie_e

Visit site
Who (what authority) would be checking if a hat has a kite mark for showjumping? I know hats for xc get tagged and since the Samshield has fixed peak it wouldn't be suitable regardless of a kite mark. There are plenty of eventers wearing the Samshield for the sj phase.

If OP rides for her local RC in area competitions then hats need to be kitemarked

ecrozier

Visit site
I also love my conquest. Just bought a second one in brown as my everyday hat as my old gatehouse skull has seen better days!

LFD

Visit site
I have a Gatehouse Pegasus in the deco black which looks good and was very reasonable pricewise – if you have a bigger budget I would definitely go for a KEP :)

LMR

Visit site
Samshield!! Love love love mine. So sweaty head and I never get sa Mark on my forehead. Have had gpa, kep and champion in the past all of which left me sweaty and sore head.

I know they were specifically designed for jumping riders.