New hat

chaps89

Visit site
I need to invest in a new riding hat. I currently have a champion skull cap with some vents down the front, not an overly fancy one.
I really want a lightweight one, uvex look like they might be a bit lighter weight and comfier, are there any other brands to consider? I think my options will be Charles Owen (which don’t tend to fit me), Champion, Uvex and Gatehouse. Oh and a brand I’ve not heard of before - ‘One K’?
I don’t compete so do I need to consider any of the safety markings (beyond needing it to obviously be safe should I come off!) particularly?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have a proII but don't find it particularly light and the fit has been tricky even though fitted by CO themselves- I had the round with added back padding but have had to add additional myself having not really worn in that much.
which is why I treated myself to another gatehouse air rider (I have the original version but its not longer in spec and no longer just riding my own) but there weren't many about a couple of months ago.

But historically I've been a gatehouse (though they changed the HS1 so it doesnt fit anymore)/CO shape, never a champion.

Birker2020

Visit site
I need to invest in a new riding hat. I currently have a champion skull cap with some vents down the front, not an overly fancy one.
I really want a lightweight one, uvex look like they might be a bit lighter weight and comfier, are there any other brands to consider? I think my options will be Charles Owen (which don’t tend to fit me), Champion, Uvex and Gatehouse. Oh and a brand I’ve not heard of before - ‘One K’?
I don’t compete so do I need to consider any of the safety markings (beyond needing it to obviously be safe should I come off!) particularly?
Watching with interest, I thought whilst I have a bit of spare cash being horseless and with nothing in sight I might treat myself to a new hat.

I want something slim fitting as I have a Charles Owen Young Riders but want something with a slimmer profile.
1627049507706.png

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I think you’re always best trying hats on if you can, even if it’s just to find a brand that fits you. I have never been able to get the CO/Champion ones to fit me properly, so moving to a gatehouse was a game changer!

I’ve actually just ordered one of the new gatehouse ones with vents to replace one after a rather spectacular fall, so will see how much of a difference having vents makes!

Roxylola

Visit site
I like how Charles Owen fit my head, and the pro ii is better ventilated than previous skull caps.
However, I bought a uvexx exential ii for hacking etc because there's so little padding in it so it would dry quickly. It's rapidly become my favourite hat, the dial is so adjustable for fit, it's cool, lightweight and doesn't get waterlogged and was under £100. I'd definitely recommend one for general riding

DirectorFury

Visit site
Similarly to ester I found that the COs pack out pretty quickly - so I either have to buy a size too small and suffer for a month, or buy the ‘right’ size and add loads and loads of padding after a little while.

Have you considered a Samshield? Mine is wonderfully cool, so much so that I have to tape the vents up in winter or I get brain freeze!

chaps89

Visit site
Retail therapy complete.
I bought a uvex exxential ii. The lady didn’t think the gatehouse was likely to fit so I pretty much just tried that one on tbh.
Feels a bit weird wearing something that feels like a cycling helmet but hopefully I’ll get used to it.
And of course today the weather has turned and it’s now chilly and piddling with rain and I’m questioning my decision to buy such a vented hat but hey ho!

Roxylola

Visit site
I honestly love mine. Even if it gets wet it dries super quick - not like my Charles Owen that used to still be soggy a couple of days later in winter