New herd member nightmare

hellfire

Visit site
Been quite some time since I introduced a new horse. Dakota came the weekend to join my 3 geldings two of which are Shetlands. Sparky and Dakota are similar size and build and the fighting has been a bit much. Nothing really dangerous but I'm concerned as they are both dominant geldings both cut late. Dakota is going up to my Shetlands just biteing the necks. Him and sparky get too close and hooves are flying. Getting anyone in is a total dangerous nightmare right now as is feed times. Sparky keeps herding the Shetlands away from Dakota constantly then Dakota goes over and has a go at everyone. I know herd dynamics take time and sometimes just don't work. How long untill they finally sort out who's boss and I'm not worried about being in the field as can't do anything right now. Even poo picking is a challenge if one comes over they all follow and twice now Dakotas rear hooves have NARROWLY missed me once actually ruffling my coat which is scary. I've never had it this bad this long. Any ideas tips or advice? Anyone had the same and it has or hasn't calmed down? Thinking I'd of been better with a mare!!

be positive

Visit site
I am guessing Sparky and Dakota are horses and far bigger than the shetlands so are likely to pair up and could continue to be rather boisterous so if they were mine I would separate the two pairs and keep them apart for a while until the two big ones have settled into a routine and have stopped messing about, I certainly would not feed 4 loose in a field while they are still behaving this way as it may get worse once the grass goes and you should not be putting yourself at risk of being kicked.
I expect Dakota has never been out with tiny ponies and is treating them almost as toys with Sparky trying to take care of them, this is natural behaviour but I would not leave them to sort things out in case it ends badly, whenever I introduce a new one I try to do it by turning out a similar sized pair together until I know the new horse and can judge when to move them in with others, or not depending on how they settle, I don't like leaving fighting horses together although often they can go back together after a while.

hellfire

Visit site
There lies the big issue. Yes Sparky and Dakota are horses but Sparky is so pair bonded to Minstrel my standard Shetland he goes do lally separated to the point going through fences screaming and doing himself injury. He's become tolerant of him going out hacking or driving and just runs about screaming. Anymore than about 4 hours and he stressed beyond what you think normal for a horse. He was a bad neglect case and minstrel was the first equine since mum he met untill he was 3 when I took him on. He's now 13 and although much better separation would make matters much worse for him to the point of ulcers.
Dakota came from a place with a little elderly pony mare and was in a herd before that. He's only 5. I tied him up to the gate quick today while feeding which was a help as the other 3 won't go near him at feed time. I have 186ac of land on my farm so no danger of grass shortage BUT they are usually on hay a lot of the year as Shetlands and Sparky has IR. Been a worry with this frost so need them back on hay ASAP really. I tried fence tape to and they just fought through it and destroyed it!! I have joining fields but they'd only see each other through the gate way and when I tried to separate Dakota yesterday he sweated up terribly. This is a right dilemma!

be positive

Visit site
That does complicate things, could you put them in pairs but the other way round so 1 Shetland is with one horse until they settle down, it is hard when 2 become so bonded but a week or two with just the gateway to see through may allow everything to settle, best of luck with sorting them out.

hellfire

Visit site
Sparky has always liked to complicate my life 😝.
I can try that yes. Dakota seems to be trying hardest with my mini Shetland Angus to bond much to Anguses disgust. Just gets a funny face swish of a tail and half hearted kick. Angus is so laid back he's horizontal. Dakota doesn't help matters approaching looking to groom him then just biting his neck. Can give that a whirl thanks. Be a shame if it doesn't work out for them all. Horses 🙄

hellfire

Visit site
Only fence I have they can meet over is electric and they just reared and licked through that. Had them in adjoining fields today but only a gateway for them as massively hedges separate all my fields unless I electric fence tape them off. Dakota wouldnt leave the bloody gate and has sweated up bad. Wish I had decent stock fence dividing my large fields.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That does complicate things, could you put them in pairs but the other way round so 1 Shetland is with one horse until they settle down, it is hard when 2 become so bonded but a week or two with just the gateway to see through may allow everything to settle, best of luck with sorting them out.

I think that is what I would do - and fingers crossed that they do settle down all together. I would put electric fencing between the pairs, so that they can see each other, you will need some power through the fence though.
Unfortunately they might not settle together though. Sister and I had 2 mares who had been kept together for a couple of years with an older smaller mare, who ruled the roost. After older mare had to be pts, we bought 2 youngsters, who didn't know each other but soon were best friends. We eventually put all 4 together and the 2 yr old decided that she wanted to be in charge. Big mare told her she couldn't be, she took no notice and they fought. Looking back it was hilarious - they were like 2 Sumo wrestlers, knocking each other over! At the time of course, it was very worrying. We had to separate them permanently, which was a pain as we don't have anywhere near 186 acres to graze them on.

hellfire

Visit site
I think that is what I would do - and fingers crossed that they do settle down all together. I would put electric fencing between the pairs, so that they can see each other, you will need some power through the fence though.
Unfortunately they might not settle together though. Sister and I had 2 mares who had been kept together for a couple of years with an older smaller mare, who ruled the roost. After older mare had to be pts, we bought 2 youngsters, who didn't know each other but soon were best friends. We eventually put all 4 together and the 2 yr old decided that she wanted to be in charge. Big mare told her she couldn't be, she took no notice and they fought. Looking back it was hilarious - they were like 2 Sumo wrestlers, knocking each other over! At the time of course, it was very worrying. We had to separate them permanently, which was a pain as we don't have anywhere near 186 acres to graze them on.
As I said electric fence didn't work they destroyed it fighting. It had power too and good power as test my fences. They have settled a lot. The fighting is more faces now and feeding Dakota separate is a must! There still a dominance issue but it's defiantly a improvement. Shame you had to separate yours. It is a right pain to do that. I hope that another week ill seer even more improvement. I'm even worried hacking them together untill all is calm.