New here

nianya

Visit site
Hiya,

I just found this forum and am hoping to find lots of info! I will be moving to the UK from the US at the end of 2015. As crazy as this is, my 6 year old Arabian will be coming with me. I have been a trail rider in the Rocky Mountains and the Pacific NW for more than 20 years now, and am looking forward to exploring the countryside in the UK soon.

I have started reading and imagine I have much new horse vocabulary to learn here :D I thank everyone in advance for all the information as I'm sure to be asking many questions.

-SK

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. :)

Please ask about any terms or phrases that are new to you and I'm sure that plenty of people will be happy to explain them. :) Maybe a new thread in the 'tack room' would be ideal for this?

Where abouts in the UK are you looking to move to?

PS, I'd love to see a photo of your horse (fellow arab fan here). :D

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Welcome, sounds as though you are horse-mad, there are quite a few of them on here :), and though we often witness infighting, we always want to meet new members :)

Shady

Visit site
Hi Nianya and welcome to you!!!
same as the lovely Faracat, i too have an Arabian( in fact ours share the same bloodline!)
not crazy at all to bring your horse with you! mine came from Australia to England and then on to France, his previous owner said he hitched a ride with an Australian showjumping team and it was really funny to see all these big strong horses and her little weeny Arab.
like you iv'e had to learn a whole new horse vocabulary in French and it's really difficult as most use slang terms anyway and laugh at me.
lots of people laugh at me on here too!!!!! i don't mind, i like to have a laugh and i get heaps of great advice on here too!

nianya

Visit site
Oh you guys make me feel so much better about my crazy! Definitely horse-mad, she's not my first horse either (lost her a few years ago to old-age). Just my first Arab, and I can't leave her behind.

I suppose she could be a long-lost cousin, but she's got pretty thoroughly 'merkin bloodlines. Khemosabi and Huckleberry Bey are her great-grandaddies anyhow.

I'll be in the Cambridge area as that's where my job is most likely to be. I visited a few times and think she'll really stand out amongst all the Throroughbreds :D I'll happily swap pictures when I work out how...

Maybe this will work https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...9_10201900387259140_8256361228357457210_o.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Oh she's lovely! :D I can see why she's coming with you. I can remember seeing photos of Khemosabi and Huckleberry bay when I was young and admiring them both.

100_2192.jpg

These are my two purebreds, it's the chestnut who's related to Shady's horse as they both have El Shaklan lines. :)

Shady

Visit site
oh she's lovely!! gonna have to look up pics now of her grand- daddies!
gorgeous pic Faracat! mine never do this unless there's mud!
i'm going to an Arabian stud farm tomorrow and i'm really excited but i know i will say something wrong in French and want to dig myself a hole, but the horses won't mind and he's got a boy with our bloodlines too!
Cambridge eh?! it's nice there! xx

nianya

Visit site
Her granddaddies are pretty, but were actually best known for being really sweet and super athletic. She's got the sweet part down :)

Where is this French Arabian farm?? I'm actually currently living in Luxembourg so maybe it's not a far visit and most the horses I see around here are Ardennes.

Shady

Visit site
Her granddaddies are pretty, but were actually best known for being really sweet and super athletic. She's got the sweet part down :)

Where is this French Arabian farm?? I'm actually currently living in Luxembourg so maybe it's not a far visit and most the horses I see around here are Ardennes.

that's weird that you should say that about gd's being sweet as my horses sire was as prized for his sweet temperament as well as his looks and it came thru strongly in his offspring, my boy is so sweet it's almost creepy!
asked OH where we are from you and he said 900 miles!!eek!
bit of a strange thing for me with the stud farm, i have been adopted like a puppy by a local endurance yard owner who came to apologise for a thing that happened between me and one of his riders and fell in love with my horse as he breeds Arabs/ Anglo's,the farm i'm going to belongs to a friend of his and i went to visit another friend of his who breeds Arabo's, that blew me away, they were unreal!
i sometimes wonder where he will drag me to next, it's great and a real honour but i am an idiot with conformation and don't know what to say , except , cor they are really nice!
fun tho!!!

EstherYoung

Visit site
Welcome :) Our Arabs are American on their sires' sides. Our two full brothers have a dash of Khemosabi, via Kaiyoum, and my part bred has Bask and some Davenport ancestors. The old fashioned American lines are ace :)

Last edited:

nianya

Visit site
They really are, we need more of those! My mother has a Tuhutmos grandson and he's just as sweet and adorable as my girl :)