New home, new pony, new routine... help!

HeyMich

Visit site
Hi All,

Not sure if you'll remember, but I posted a few weeks ago about us moving house to somewhere with land so that I can have my horse at home with us. Yeay! All very exciting indeed. However, in true style, I am stressing about the most minute of details - I think it is effectively diversion tactics, to avoid stressing about packing the house and the impending trauma of the actual move!

I have also found a wonderful pony for the kids, who will also be companion to my mare - another Yeay! He's passed his vetting so I'm hoping to bring him home once we've been there a week or so, to give us time to find our feet, check over fences, stables etc. Question is, do I give him time to settle before I bring my mare home, which would leave him by himself for a while, or bring her home the very next day? And how do I introduce them both to each other and the new place at the same time - just chuck them out in a field together, or in adjoining fields to begin with, or stabled next to each other for a while first...? I'll obviously worm the pony in the stable first (my mare won't need doing as she's recently had a worm count of 0) and I'm happy to feed/hay in the stable for a few hours until they settle. The pony is barefoot, so I'm less worried about kicks. My mare is a big gentle giant, but she can stress if she's out alone or somewhere unfamiliar. I very much doubt she would kick/bite but I guess you can never be sure!

Next question is changing routine - at the moment the pony is out 24/7, but my mare is stabled at night at livery. I'm hoping to keep them both out 24/7 all year round at home, with free access to the stables or a field shelter. The 24/7 routine will be so much better for my mare, as she doesn't enjoy being stabled and the increased amount of haylege she's on at the moment has made her ulcers flare up again, so the plan is that more grazing and less haylege in the stable will be a benefit. So... do I just leave them both out overnight as soon as I move them? Or stable them both for the first few nights? The weather is getting quite nippy here, and I'm guessing it'll only get worse over the next few months. Would I be cruel chucking them out at night in mid-December when one of them isn't used to it? Or do I give in and stable them both till the spring?

Sorry for the ramblings, I think the brain is working overtime. This is such a big move for us (physically, emotionally, mentally!) and I just want to get it right!

Thanks for reading this far, if you have! I'd share my grab-bag of Revels with you all, but i might have just stress-eaten them all... Right, off to pack some more boxes and worry about updating the packing spreadsheet...

meleeka

Visit site
Ooh I love Revels too :(

If it were me I wouldn’t stress too much about when they move but I’d want the pony there before the mare. When introducing I have always put them in adjoining fields so that they can get to know each other without feet flying. If you have shelters I wouldn’t worry about stabling, even with the one that’s stables now. The best thing is to see how they are and decide at the time. Of course that’s something you have to get used to, you don’t have to actually plan anything, but can chop and change as you wish, and respond to their needs as they occur, the main benefit of horses at home!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Personally, I would bring your mare over as soon as possible so the new pony doesn't have to be in a new place with no horsey company.
I would either let them be in overnight in the stable next door to each other, or put out in adjoining fields on arrival, depending on your set up. I don't ever like throwing new horses in together straight away, I know plenty of people get away with it but when you are in charge of your own place there's no rush :)

I tipped my retired mare out 24/7 at the end of November last year, she had a good coat and rugs, plenty to eat - it was not a problem. I wouldn't worry too much about changing their routines in that respect, so long as they have company and lots of roughage and shelter, it should not cause a problem either way. in a new place, I think old routines go out of the window a bit.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would bring your mare home so he has company then just put them out in adjoining fields if they are happy to do so, and start as you mean to go on if you want them out 24-7 do it from the off, my horses are still out one is clipped and they are fine it's still not that cold.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Just wanted to add mine come in at night if the weather is really wet or icy, they cope fine with this that is the pure beauty if having your horses at home, the rain was hammering on Saturday night and both were stood at the gate so at 11pm I ran outside and put them in the stables with a hay net.

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I know, I'm probably over-thinking it all. My mum's favourite saying is 'over-prepare, then go with the flow'. I'm stuck at the 'over-preparing' stage!

Annagain

Visit site
I'd get them both there as close to each other as possible so one isn't left alone, worm the pony, leave them both in overnight next door to each other and then turn them out the next day and leave them out.
If haylage causes your mare problems could you opt for hay instead when the time comes to feed them? It'll probably be better for the pony too if he's a good doer, as most of them are.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
as an aside, it was my understanding that received wisdom with worming was now *not* to worm then turn out on clean pasture. In doing so you would risk infecting your pasture with only those worms that were resistant to the drugs.

HeyMich

Visit site
I'd get them both there as close to each other as possible so one isn't left alone, worm the pony, leave them both in overnight next door to each other and then turn them out the next day and leave them out.
If haylage causes your mare problems could you opt for hay instead when the time comes to feed them? It'll probably be better for the pony too if he's a good doer, as most of them are.

Thanks. Yes, changing to hay for definite! They are both rather greedy, so may even go down the soaked hay route...

HeyMich

Visit site
as an aside, it was my understanding that received wisdom with worming was now *not* to worm then turn out on clean pasture. In doing so you would risk infecting your pasture with only those worms that were resistant to the drugs.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the heads-up. I think I'll speak to my vet and ask what, if anything, to give, and when. Another thing to add to the to-do list!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
as others have said, in field next to each other to start with and out 24/7 straight away. i wouldnt keep pony in after worming (as milliepops said) can you bring them both to your place at the same time, or on the same day to lessen stress for both of them. must be great to have them at home and you can do whatever you like. the only time i would worry about them being out 24/7 is if it is a combination of cold and wet. if its just cold they usually are fine...so you could bring them in for the odd night if it is very wet...