New horse - 8yo WB never jumped before and issues

Scheherezade

Visit site
Hi,

A horse I'm riding is wonderful. However he was bred and bought for dressage. I'd like to try a bit of jumping with him, and have been doing trotting poles and cross poles.

However he's just trotting over the jumps! I don't want to raise them to an upright and risk him refusing. Has anyone encountered this before? I'm thinking of loose jumping him as I have done that with young horses before.

Any tips? Please be nice.

ponies4ever

Visit site
I would recommend loose jumping if he's not really done it before. He can probably figure it out a bit then. Alternatively you could do a spread that is two crosses. It's still nice and inviting but they normally think a bit going over and so he may put a bit more effort in.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
He may take a while, but I agree loose jumping. We used to jump the dressage horses specifically to make sure that they could if required.

stormox

Visit site
My showjumper friend got a 17hh 10 yr old stallion by Lux that had done dressage all its life, up to elementary. He tried starting with poles but the horse did such big jumps over them he soon put them as small 2ft jumps. and carried on from there - within 6 months he was jumping 1m, and a couple of months after that he won a 1.20 class. Because the horse was so well schooled he had no problem with strides, corners etc and the horse had a naturally good way of jumping so found it easy.

be positive

Visit site
Hi,

A horse I'm riding is wonderful. However he was bred and bought for dressage. I'd like to try a bit of jumping with him, and have been doing trotting poles and cross poles.

However he's just trotting over the jumps! I don't want to raise them to an upright and risk him refusing. Has anyone encountered this before? I'm thinking of loose jumping him as I have done that with young horses before.

Any tips? Please be nice.

He is doing what you are asking him to, trotting poles are for trotting over so he is still thinking trot over the raised poles, I have had plenty in that would do the same whatever their age, you need to do canter poles so he starts to think forward and use them properly, then put a x pole at the end of a line and he should maintain the canter and pop the jump.
Loose jumping will help him get the idea of jumping but if you still trot over poles on the ground he may still stay in trot over the x, once they understand they can then come back to trotting in and will jump normally.