"new" horse bolting

hors es

New User
Visit site
my 24 year old arab slowly moved into a gallop when i was riding her one day. I haven't rode her since.
she was a show horse, I have rode for one year, am i giving her some signal?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Did you tense up, grip with your legs or lean forward? Any of these could be interpreted by the horse as a signal to go faster.

I think that it is unfair to say that she bolted. A true bolt is something that I hope you never experience as the horse will gallop in a blind panic with no thought for it's self preservation (through fences sometimes) and you have a snowball in Hell's chance of pulling the horse up.

I think that as this seems to be a misunderstanding, that you should get some lessons on her to get your confidence back and to make sure that you understand each other. :)

Could you post a photo of her - I'm a massive arab fan and she sounds like a grand old girl at 24!

IAmCrazyForHorses

Visit site
I'm not sure if she actually bolted or she would have quickly shot off rather than building up into a gallop. If she only did it that one time maybe she was just exited or full of energy. If she's one of those horses that canters when you give her the tiniest squeeze then you probably just accidentally kicked her or changed your position slightly. Sometimes the littlest things can set horses off. :)