New horse doesnt like travel boots

C&C

Visit site
My new horse doesnt like wearing travel boots, apparently he will just kick until they come off so previous owner gave up trying. He is an ex racer and she said that alot of TBs dont wear boots in the lorry going to the races....i dont know how true this is.

My old boy has always worn full travel boots and always been fine although he does walk like an astronaut to begin with!! :D

I have not yet travelled new boy but have bought him a set of medicine/sport boots and thought i would use these with over-reaches all round as he is fine with 'normal' boots :)

Anyone else have probs with their horse and travel boots? What do you use instead?

SpottedCat

Visit site
Racehorses never travel booted. I had a horse that hated them - either used nothing at all or bog-standard brushing and OR boots. Traveled him 5 hrs once in brushing and OR boots.

dollymix

Visit site
one of my mares used to stamp a lot in the wagon and hence hind boots always fell off....I now bandage them instead and no problems at all!

if I'm not going far, I just put brushing boots and OR boots on!

My friend also bandages because her horse used to freak out if the boots slipped at all whilst travelling - the good thing with bandages is that they stay put!

snopuma

Visit site
My TB travels fine in travel boots, i use the Hoy ones they don't slip, but she never worried about them.

Bernster

Visit site
Some horse transporters won't use travel boots as they say they're unsafe. So bandages or brushing boots, and overreach boots, are all fine I reckon and probably more comfortable for the horse. I use equi-chaps which give some overreach coverage and support but are flexible and my boy seems happier in them. Not what they are designed for but they do the job and last well and easier to clean!

http://www.equilibriumproducts.com/leg_protection/equi_chapsreg_close_contact_chaps/

C&C

Visit site
Some horse transporters won't use travel boots as they say they're unsafe. So bandages or brushing boots, and overreach boots, are all fine I reckon and probably more comfortable for the horse. I use equi-chaps which give some overreach coverage and support but are flexible and my boy seems happier in them. Not what they are designed for but they do the job and last well and easier to clean!

http://www.equilibriumproducts.com/leg_protection/equi_chapsreg_close_contact_chaps/

I have the Hardy chaps for turnout. they are very good and dont slip. i have bough these sport boots now though so will use these and see how we go ;)

I thought about bandaging but if im honest i cant be arsed with it, especially when all you wanna do is get home after a long day! lol lazy i know! :D

scarymare

Visit site
Don't worry, I gave them up years ago. If I'm jumping I travel in brushing boots just so's its easier when I get there - otherwise its as nature intended.

No harm done ever

TGM

Visit site
We have two horses that don't like traditional hind travel boots, and to be honest I don't like them either as they have a tendency to slip down. Now use the Equilibrium Hardy Chaps (made of neoprene) behind instead and the horses don't mind them and they don't slip down either.

millitiger

Visit site
Vinnie doesn't like travel boots and will remove them and destroy them when he is in the lorry.

He now travels with standard brushing boots and overreach boots all round and I also put hock boots on him as he is so big he is right up against the ramp.

C&C

Visit site
Thanks guys. I think the normal boots and ORs will be fine then

I will use the Sport boots rather than brushing boots just coz they have the extra protection around the pastern ;)

Dab

Visit site
Hmmmm....well i dont use travel boots for short journeys (when i'm driving the lorry) 10 mins or so, just brushing boots. But always do for longer journeys or if i'm not driving.

My last TB fell over in a lorry (big 12 horse artic) and thrashed around, he pulled 3 shoes off and cut his legs very badly. The travel boots were trashed, and i can only image what would have been the out come if he hadnt have been wearing them. He was off work for 3 months due to this incident.

My current TB (ex-racer) was a bit fussy to begin with, especially the back ones! But as soon as i put them on i walk him around in a circle and he now accepts them.

But if i had a horse that was going to do harm wearing the boots i'd look at alternatives, such as bandaging, or over reach and eventing boots etc.

Good luck and i hope you find something that works for you.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I gave up using them years ago when I came to the conculsion that more disliked them than those who did not mind. Some I bandage for long journeys especially if it's in the trailer and it's cold I had one who would tolerate anything on behind at all.