New horse, first ride, fell off - advice please

sportsmansB

Visit site
Just to add
A tired horse is much more forgiving than a fresh one, especially if your balance isn't 100%
So no feed, plenty of exercise (lunging if thats easier for you than taking a chance on cantering) and don't fanny around as if you don't know what you're doing, as the smart ones can spot it :) Fake it if you need to, but act confident and in control both on him and around him.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Aha, slowly cutting down on that, top advice, thank you

Don't bother with slowly cutting the calories down, do it immediately, give him a token feed, so that he has a bucket, if you like and as soon as poss, make that just a few grass-nuts or better still haycobs, or a handful of grass chaff. Remember the old adage about feeding for work done, not for that which is planned.

Cozzabelle

Visit site
Thank you - I’m beginning to acknowledge the difference in owning my own horse - it’s a steep learning curve. It wasnt the falling off that made me feel like an arse, it was that common sense left me and I just didn’t
YOU know your

You’re completely right - actually I think it’s more about my pride, because this is my first horse and immediately I’ve doubted my ability, and wondered whether I was too ambitious. I recognize the mistakes I’ve made and yesterday was better.

I’ve also recently bought my first horse and the learning curve is steeeeep, I feel like my riding ability has regressed by at least a year and on more than one occasion have found myself wondering what the hell I was thinking getting my own horse! For me having regular lessons with a great instructor has been key, I have also cut her feed right back recently and am controlling how much grass she has as its currently very rich. My horse was super fidgety to tie up when I got her, to the point that I often thought she was going to pull back. She wouldn’t stand still for mounting and trying to get her to wait until the traffic was clear so we could cross the road was downright scary. With some patience, a big haynet to tie up and lots of groundwork things are improving. We still have a very long way to go and I definitely wasn’t prepared for all the little tricks that horses can (and probably will) try, having your own is so very different to riding at a school. Best of luck :)

Heccyd

Visit site
I’ve also recently bought my first horse and the learning curve is steeeeep, I feel like my riding ability has regressed by at least a year and on more than one occasion have found myself wondering what the hell I was thinking getting my own horse! For me having regular lessons with a great instructor has been key, I have also cut her feed right back recently and am controlling how much grass she has as its currently very rich. My horse was super fidgety to tie up when I got her, to the point that I often thought she was going to pull back. She wouldn’t stand still for mounting and trying to get her to wait until the traffic was clear so we could cross the road was downright scary. With some patience, a big haynet to tie up and lots of groundwork things are improving. We still have a very long way to go and I definitely wasn’t prepared for all the little tricks that horses can (and probably will) try, having your own is so very different to riding at a school. Best of luck :)

Thank you for this!! Yes - this is it EXACTLY. On Thursday we started to make progress and I’ve been applying the same routine every day - bit of ethology, followed by lunging then riding - and I can’t believe the difference from last week!

windand rain

Visit site
I think buying your first horse is like driving a car without and instructor scary but doable for a start but confidence grows the more you do it. Horses in private homes are completely different fron school or shared horses as there isnt anyone else its numero uno for every decision. You both sound like you are muddling through really well it takes about 6 months to feel like you are getting somewhere sooner than that and you are doing really well longer than that and you are not pushing it forward enough and the horse has you on a string