new horse, new yard

jo1

hotmail.co.uk
When you bring your new horse to a new yard how would you go about settleing him in??

Stably for a couple of hours and then turnout or stable for a day or so??

Possibly getting a horse on loan and just wondering aloud.

Cheers

daney

New User
Visit site
it depends whether the other horses are in or out i reckon. when we move yards or get a new one we turn them with their headcollars on after taking them for a walk around the yard in their bridle.

_jetset_

Visit site
At our yard we ask that the horse is wormed the day it comes so therefore stays in the first day and settles into its new environment. Then the following day it is introduced to the rest of the horses, and we usually put the dominant mare (mine) out with the new one first which seems to help.

Happytohack

Visit site
I bought a new horse 10 days ago. As soon as she arrived, we popped her in her stable with lots of hay and water. After a couple of hours we turned her out in a small paddock next to our other horses. She was soon happily grazing. She came in that evening when the others did and we kept her in her separate paddock for a couple of days. You can soon tell if they are going to get on together - she was grazing one side of the electric fence and they were on the other with no problems. The next day we put them out together with no problems whatsoever and she is settling in brilliantly. Just let your new horse take its time to settle and learn the new routine and make new friend and it will be fine.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Any new horse on our yard is immediately wormed & stabled for 24 hours. The horse is then turned out on it's own in a paddock adjacent to the horses he will be sharing with. We have paddocks holding 2-3 horses in each. After 2-3 days the new boy is put in with the others sharers. This rarely causes any problems.

M

madabout2

I will say depends.

in the past I would have wormed and stabled for 24hours ...

But have just moved yards and turned my horse out immediately.
Best thing I ever did!!!

My horse is wormed regualrly and in simialr pattern to the yard we have just moved to and I know the YO we are now with.

My horse is highly strung and very stressed when on his own.

When I got him earlier this year we did the stabling thing and turned outo n his own on first day. We ended up calling the vet as the the horse was so stressed he needed sedating!