New Horse Planting

Sassenach_1234

Visit site
So my lovely new mare of three months has been planting. Not every time but about 70% of the time when being ridden and led. This is definitely new behaviour (for whatever reason) as I know her history.

Saddle and bridle fitted correctly. Vetted. Teeth done. Feet up to date. She’s not a spooky horse and it really feels like she’s just taking the p**s now. I’m a confident rider and I put ground work in. I’ve tried patience, reassurance, a firm smack with the stick, turning tight circles, rewards with forward motion etc and feel like I’m getting nowhere! The only way to get her to move when she does this is someone behind with a lunge whip.

When she’s not napping she’s lovley! But it’s really hard to know what to do to get this to stop. I’m aware the longer it goes on the worse it will get as well. Any advice really appreciated as I feel I’ve tried EVERYTHING.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My Highland gelding plants when he's scared and/or confused. The QH mare I owned as a teenager was a serial planter, and supposedly was less scared and confused because she was bought as a kid-friendly horse.

With my gelding, you just need to make sure he's not scared or confused, and then he is forward and willing. Harder than it sounds due to him being an ex-feral and not understanding humans as easily as something that wasn't feral. You have to stop, rethink what you're doing and how you're doing it, and go back to an easier task. He wants to please, but he sometimes finds humans baffling. When we're hacking, I take advantage of the fact that he has short legs and is slower than my friends' horses to play about with aids, getting him light, light, light off the leg. He is making huge improvements.

With the mare, it took waaaaay longer than 3 months to fix it. I'm talking like two years. I tried all the things (after sorting out all the soundness issues, and there were plenty) and the only thing that worked was working with a very kind, slow trainer who was into a system called TTEAM. It was more or less loads of groundwork over poles in various configurations and using a long dressage whip to clarify cues (but never hit the horse) and lots of hacking in company. She eventually came on side and never planted again.

Are you sure the horse is 100% sound? My mare had hypothyroidism and arthritis (at only 11 :(), and diagnosing, then managing both of those conditions helped with the planting.

Madali

Visit site
This is interesting
my new mare who brought home at the end of September was a dream to hack until the last few weeks. she has started planting and napping. I have put it down to the first season of the year and her pushing the boundaries now she is secure in her new home.
I’m ignoring her and we are getting through it
good luck

pistolpete

Visit site
My Highland gelding plants when he's scared and/or confused. The QH mare I owned as a teenager was a serial planter, and supposedly was less scared and confused because she was bought as a kid-friendly horse.

With my gelding, you just need to make sure he's not scared or confused, and then he is forward and willing. Harder than it sounds due to him being an ex-feral and not understanding humans as easily as something that wasn't feral. You have to stop, rethink what you're doing and how you're doing it, and go back to an easier task. He wants to please, but he sometimes finds humans baffling. When we're hacking, I take advantage of the fact that he has short legs and is slower than my friends' horses to play about with aids, getting him light, light, light off the leg. He is making huge improvements.

With the mare, it took waaaaay longer than 3 months to fix it. I'm talking like two years. I tried all the things (after sorting out all the soundness issues, and there were plenty) and the only thing that worked was working with a very kind, slow trainer who was into a system called TTEAM. It was more or less loads of groundwork over poles in various configurations and using a long dressage whip to clarify cues (but never hit the horse) and lots of hacking in company. She eventually came on side and never planted again.

Are you sure the horse is 100% sound? My mare had hypothyroidism and arthritis (at only 11 :(), and diagnosing, then managing both of those conditions helped with the planting.
TTeam is so good! Great to hear of someone else using it.

pistolpete

Visit site
Big alarm bells for me is that it’s not all the time. If they don’t understand surely that’s it they can’t go forward but if they’re in pain and genuine, they’ll most likely perform as best they can until it’s just too much. Vet check, teeth back physio and saddle if it was me. I had a terrible experience with a saddle that actually caused severe muscle wastage on my old warmblood. Saddle had been bought from and fitted by a well respected Surrey saddler at great expense! Changed the saddle and horse was completely different! Almost overnight.

Caol Ila

Visit site
If it’s environmental, you might not be aware of what sets them off. It might not even be something our tiny human brain picks up. Our senses suck compared to theirs, and things that we find blasé can be scary for a horse.

It could also be physical discomfort + some external stimuli pushing the horse beyond a threshold, which is why it can seem intermittent.

Birker2020

Visit site
I'd check saddle fit. Then if that's ok next time she plants turn her and rein back. This is a great psychological tool. Because you are facing the direction she wants to go she thinks she 'has won' but she will soon get bored of walking backwards. So when you turn to walk forwards she will be less inclined to plant.

You may have to repeat the exercise a few times but its hard for a horse to walk backwards, both physically and mentally so going forwards will be her preferred way before long.

This is based on the idea that if a horse wont load up a ramp of a trailer or lorry you make it walk backwards as it becomes tedious and boring for it to do so thus making it walk forward a more favourable option.

Just remember not to be too forceful with your hands when you rein back as uou don't want to encourage rearing.

Sassenach_1234

Visit site

Yes she’s definitely sound. She also had no issues before so I think it’s a trust / testing thing but no idea how to resolve it. I’m trying to hack in company as much as possible but she’s even done it then ?

Sassenach_1234

Visit site
Big alarm bells for me is that it’s not all the time. If they don’t understand surely that’s it they can’t go forward but if they’re in pain and genuine, they’ll most likely perform as best they can until it’s just too much. Vet check, teeth back physio and saddle if it was me. I had a terrible experience with a saddle that actually caused severe muscle wastage on my old warmblood. Saddle had been bought from and fitted by a well respected Surrey saddler at great expense! Changed the saddle and horse was completely different! Almost overnight.

thanks but I’ve done all those things. Health wise she is fine.

Sassenach_1234

Visit site
I'd check saddle fit. Then if that's ok next time she plants turn her and rein back. This is a great psychological tool. Because you are facing the direction she wants to go she thinks she 'has won' but she will soon get bored of walking backwards. So when you turn to walk forwards she will be less inclined to plant.

You may have to repeat the exercise a few times but its hard for a horse to walk backwards, both physically and mentally so going forwards will be her preferred way before long.

This is based on the idea that if a horse wont load up a ramp of a trailer or lorry you make it walk backwards as it becomes tedious and boring for it to do so thus making it walk forward a more favourable option.

Just remember not to be too forceful with your hands when you rein back as uou don't want to encourage rearing.

When I’m leading I make her walk back until she goes forward but when I’m on I can’t seem to get her to rein back…

Sassenach_1234

Visit site
This is interesting
my new mare who brought home at the end of September was a dream to hack until the last few weeks. she has started planting and napping. I have put it down to the first season of the year and her pushing the boundaries now she is secure in her new home.
I’m ignoring her and we are getting through it
good luck

It’s so strange as once she gets going she’s amazing and I know there is nothing wrong with her.

Caol Ila

Visit site
What are "all the checks?" Bloods? A full poor performance work-up? Have you done a Bute/Danilon trial? Could even be something like bit/bridle fit?

That's all people on the forum can really offer, since no one has seen the horse or seen you ride. It's just impossible to know from the written word.

Twoblueeyes

Visit site
So my lovely new mare of three months has been planting. Not every time but about 70% of the time when being ridden and led. This is definitely new behaviour (for whatever reason) as I know her history.

Saddle and bridle fitted correctly. Vetted. Teeth done. Feet up to date. She’s not a spooky horse and it really feels like she’s just taking the p**s now. I’m a confident rider and I put ground work in. I’ve tried patience, reassurance, a firm smack with the stick, turning tight circles, rewards with forward motion etc and feel like I’m getting nowhere! The only way to get her to move when she does this is someone behind with a lunge whip.

When she’s not napping she’s lovley! But it’s really hard to know what to do to get this to stop. I’m aware the longer it goes on the worse it will get as well. Any advice really appreciated as I feel I’ve tried EVERYTHING.
My old cob started to this this. I think she just decided when it was time to head back home. She did it in company too so was very annoying. I took her to an instructor who put a small bridge/plank in the school for us to walk over. Of course she would not go over it or move. Told to keep pointing in direction I wanted to go. (Over plank). No letting her go side/backwards. Leg on, say walk, stick, say on. When moved forward in the right direction lots of praise.
Used it out hacking as she would always decide to stop and bingo really worked. Took time and patience but never gave up. After that only had to say walk on and no probs.
Hope this helps, mine was a big stubborn determined cob who thought she knew best.

misst

Visit site
If this is new I would be looking at getting a full lameness workup and bloods. I have seen this a few times with others and one of ours started it. Eventually it transpired after a lot of heartbreak and vet bills that when nerve blocked to both front feet he went completely differently. He moved in the way he had done previously - ie beautifully, but at no time had he been obviously lame. He had slowly shortened his stride and adapted himself until he no longer could. Even the vet who knew him well was surprised to see how much difference the nerve blocks made. He had clear xrays and no swelling or heat. MRI showed collateral ligament damage both sides.
I've seen horses with PSD in both hinds look fairly sound but again, be very reluctant to go forwards.