New Horse - Settling In

ChipperKipper

Visit site
Hello all. I recently bought a lovely new horse and moved him to a new yard and for the first week he’s had to stay away from the field due to waiting on worm count results and then having to worm him. I’ve been hacking him out, popping him on the walker, taking him for walks on the ground, and letting him stretch his legs and roll in the lunging pen whilst he’s been stable bound, but I know the last week has been quite tough for him. He went out for the first time last night and, luckily, the introductions to the herd went really well. There was some prancing and running about, but only a little bit of squealing and posturing before they settled down.

Unfortunately this morning he really did not want to leave his new friends. He let me catch him fine but then planted, and it took having someone come and collect their horse to encourage him to leave. I was patient with him, tried to reassure him, and he would take a few steps here and there, but he was clearly very anxious at the thought of leaving his new herd. Then when we finally got to the gate he started becoming very pushy and agitated (very out of character for him, he’s usually very well mannered), and again, I tried to firmly but gently reassure him and get him to stand.

Im worried that this is going to be repeat behaviour, and am wondering what I can do to help him overcome his anxiety at leaving the field? He had his breakfast when he came in, and I let him sniff his next door stable mate to reassure him he wasn’t alone.

He’s come from a very quiet private home with only a few other horses, and this new yard has approx. 70. He was at his previous home for quite a few years, so this has been a big change in his life. And he hasn’t had turn out for a week so might have been worried that he wouldn’t get to go out again.

Another issue I’m facing is that he’s been absolutely fine to hack out with other horses but if I take him out by myself (with someone walking next to me whilst we get used to each other) he has a meltdown if we face traffic in a narrow road. He’s actually okay on the busier, slightly bigger road, but gets upset if I ask him to pull into a lay by so cars can pass on smaller roads. He starts spinning, tossing his head, snorting, and bouncing a bit on his hind legs. Last time I had to get off to calm him down and ended up walking him back because he’d become so wound up.

He didn’t see much traffic in his last home as he wasn’t hacked out on roads. So I realise this again is a big adjustment for him.

Im just wondering if anyone has any advice for helping him feel less anxious around leaving the field and dealing with traffic? And any advice for me, because I’m feeling a bit despondent. I know it’ll take time for us to build a strong bond, for him to trust me, and for me to trust him. But some words of understanding would help! Has anyone else faced similar issues with a new horse, and what was the outcome?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Firstly, I would quit riding out alone while he isn't even stable to leave the field alone. I would tackle the alone part where it is safe first.

You don't say how old the horse is, how good is he on the ground?

Some older horses can go a little bolshy when at a new place/new person but really just need reminding/informing that the new person is as much in charge as the previous one. If he barges, I would back him up. If they plant you can't very well drag them, but I would make sure I can move quarters and shoulders and attend to where he is whilst ignoring the other horses yourself. Once his feet are moving, and going sideways is tricky, he may be a ,lot more amenable to going forwards. Sometimes, if they are on their own agenda, you may have to be 'big' to get their attention, as long as they always have somewhere to go and the pressure stops as soon as they attend to you.

If he is an uneducated baby I would have a softer more graduated approach.

ChipperKipper

Visit site
Firstly, I would quit riding out alone while he isn't even stable to leave the field alone. I would tackle the alone part where it is safe first.

You don't say how old the horse is, how good is he on the ground?

Some older horses can go a little bolshy when at a new place/new person but really just need reminding/informing that the new person is as much in charge as the previous one. If he barges, I would back him up. If they plant you can't very well drag them, but I would make sure I can move quarters and shoulders and attend to where he is whilst ignoring the other horses yourself. Once his feet are moving, and going sideways is tricky, he may be a ,lot more amenable to going forwards. Sometimes, if they are on their own agenda, you may have to be 'big' to get their attention, as long as they always have somewhere to go and the pressure stops as soon as they attend to you.

If he is an uneducated baby I would have a softer more graduated approach.

He's 13, and after last time I'm definitely not going to ride him out alone again for a while. It's all a bit too much for him at the moment given his anxiety at leaving other horses. For now we can definitely just ride out with other horses, I'm just a bit more worried about it longer term. Weaning him off having company on every hack.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely try them when we're leaving the field.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
He's 13, and after last time I'm definitely not going to ride him out alone again for a while. It's all a bit too much for him at the moment given his anxiety at leaving other horses. For now we can definitely just ride out with other horses, I'm just a bit more worried about it longer term. Weaning him off having company on every hack.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely try them when we're leaving the field.
I would get someone good with ground work to come and help you. They are not tips so much as a whole way of working with a horse. Mine is in a metaphorical box and, while there, he has a slack rope and easy life. If he steps outside acceptable parameters he is corrected with a quick correction and then left to manage himself again.

If mine refused to leave the field, I would jump on that as an opportunity to fine tune his responses. It is just a symptom of a hole in his training if he doesn't respond to an aid. I like the challenge to get his attention back on me and soften his mind and body. It is a trainer who works like that who you need. Yes, they may 'go big' but it is to get the attention rather than try to force the horse to do something.

BallyJ

Visit site
I'm on week 10 with my new mare and just this week she has started becoming the horse I'd been to view. She was bargy and rude and basically trying it on to become top mare.

I'm hoping she was worth the wait but only time will tell! Hopefully once your new one gets into his new routine and figures out who you are he will come round.

It's always a worrying time, especially with the prices as they are at the moment - i've had plenty of 'What have I done' moments but hopefully now we are getting somewhere.

ChipperKipper

Visit site
I'm on week 10 with my new mare and just this week she has started becoming the horse I'd been to view. She was bargy and rude and basically trying it on to become top mare.

I'm hoping she was worth the wait but only time will tell! Hopefully once your new one gets into his new routine and figures out who you are he will come round.

It's always a worrying time, especially with the prices as they are at the moment - i've had plenty of 'What have I done' moments but hopefully now we are getting somewhere.

That's really reassuring, thank you. And you're right, there is definitely an element of 'what have I done'! But good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel! Hope things continue to improve for you and your new mare :)

9tails

Visit site
New horse testing his boundaries? What a surprise! We've all been there, made mistakes, kicked ourselves, learned from them and most of us now have acceptable and even pleasant members of horse society.

The field business is just rudeness, he's seeing what he can get away with. As Red-1 says, mine has the easiest life when she is behaving but if she steps out of line there's a short sharp reprimand and an expectation of good behaviour. Don't hold onto your anger, once you've reprimanded go calm again and expect compliance. Horse won't want to be with people who are volatile.

Hacking, for now it'd be best to stick with solid companions. Once more established, ride around the yard alone if you can, pushing the boundaries further as your confidence in him and his confidence in you grows. Again, from my own experience, this took a few months but my horse now knows I'm not sending her off to war.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Definitely only hack with someone for now and agree about ground work it's great for any horse if your not sure get someone in to show you what to do.

When my back was bad and I couldn't ride properly I started doing alot of ground work with Louis his a clever Arab and gets bored easily his 18 now, although I don't have issues with him he needed something to keep his brain busy.

We did alot of lateral work which he knows as i have done it on board and his always lunged from my voice so I thought I would teach him walk to canter, his been amazing and really good at it can do it so easily on both reins his always done it well ridden but never tried on the ground.

I can honestly say now I'm back riding our connection is so much better riding him is just easier and I'm sure it's all the ground work we did, so I'm now doing at least once a week of the groundwork as it's really helped both of us.

EventingMum

Visit site
He could well be testing boundaries. I have recently closed my riding school and sold all my horses but a few are staying here at livery. One, that I owned for about 7 years has started to plant when his new owner catches him in the field. Never, in all his time as a school horse has he ever done this and has always had perfect manners when being handled but he is obviously testing his new owner who is new to horse ownership as nothing else has changed for him in terms of field mates, environment etc.

ChipperKipper

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice and support everyone. Good news - he was a total sweetheart this morning and came in without much hesitation at all. I have been doing groundwork exercises with him but generally just trying to reinforce good manners (making him wait when we leave a stable or enclosure, telling him when he can go, making him walk alongside me), but I took him into the lunging pen yesterday evening and we did a bit more sustained work. At the end he was following me around without me leading him so I'm hoping that's a good sign, and he was a lot better this morning. Mind you, that was probably just his realisation that a) when he comes in he gets breakfast, and b) he will get to go back out again later.

Waxwing

Visit site
We are about three months in with our new mare and like BallyJ I have had several what have I done moments. The first six weeks went well but then the new spring grass came though, she came into season and as I found out last week with more regular work she developing more top line and her saddle was fitting less well. This combination lead to her bucking with my daughter and getting her off on two occasions. She is now on a very bare paddock, her saddle has been checked and her teeth are being done on Thursday. This weekend I felt like we had got horse back we tried. I am predominantly riding in the school at present and doing some short hacks on the tracks round the farm. I will do more as and when I feel ready. I am now starting to enjoy her again but also in a place where if it doesn't work out I will reconsider if we are the right humans for her. A the weekend it was good :)

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
My mare changed the moment we loaded her onto the trailer! Literally as we put the ramp up she started rearing and bucking and didn't stop for nearly 45 mins. We then had napping, barging, mounting problems and attachment issues over the next few months. I know for a fact she didn't do these in her previous home. We are 8 months on and life is a lot better. We still have attachment issues but not as extreme. She's 7 and been in the same home for most of her life. I didn't buy her from a dealer but it actually made me realise that a dealer could sell a horse with all honesty and the horse that arrives could be very different!

Kaylum

Visit site
I put a horse out on loan once. He was the sweetest horse ever. The lady who loaned him had taken him everywhere on fun rides, down the busiest road on his own for months before he left our yard. When he got to hers he hated it. He went into panic mode and would not settle. He came back to us and minute his hooves touched the ground he was back to normal. If I had sold him you would have thought I was a liar and he had been doped.

ohdearme

Visit site
Hello all. I recently bought a lovely new horse and moved him to a new yard and for the first week he’s had to stay away from the field due to waiting on worm count results and then having to worm him. I’ve been hacking him out, popping him on the walker, taking him for walks on the ground, and letting him stretch his legs and roll in the lunging pen whilst he’s been stable bound, but I know the last week has been quite tough for him. He went out for the first time last night and, luckily, the introductions to the herd went really well. There was some prancing and running about, but only a little bit of squealing and posturing before they settled down.

Unfortunately this morning he really did not want to leave his new friends. He let me catch him fine but then planted, and it took having someone come and collect their horse to encourage him to leave. I was patient with him, tried to reassure him, and he would take a few steps here and there, but he was clearly very anxious at the thought of leaving his new herd. Then when we finally got to the gate he started becoming very pushy and agitated (very out of character for him, he’s usually very well mannered), and again, I tried to firmly but gently reassure him and get him to stand.

Im worried that this is going to be repeat behaviour, and am wondering what I can do to help him overcome his anxiety at leaving the field? He had his breakfast when he came in, and I let him sniff his next door stable mate to reassure him he wasn’t alone.

He’s come from a very quiet private home with only a few other horses, and this new yard has approx. 70. He was at his previous home for quite a few years, so this has been a big change in his life. And he hasn’t had turn out for a week so might have been worried that he wouldn’t get to go out again.

Another issue I’m facing is that he’s been absolutely fine to hack out with other horses but if I take him out by myself (with someone walking next to me whilst we get used to each other) he has a meltdown if we face traffic in a narrow road. He’s actually okay on the busier, slightly bigger road, but gets upset if I ask him to pull into a lay by so cars can pass on smaller roads. He starts spinning, tossing his head, snorting, and bouncing a bit on his hind legs. Last time I had to get off to calm him down and ended up walking him back because he’d become so wound up.

He didn’t see much traffic in his last home as he wasn’t hacked out on roads. So I realise this again is a big adjustment for him.

Im just wondering if anyone has any advice for helping him feel less anxious around leaving the field and dealing with traffic? And any advice for me, because I’m feeling a bit despondent. I know it’ll take time for us to build a strong bond, for him to trust me, and for me to trust him. But some words of understanding would help! Has anyone else faced similar issues with a new horse, and what was the outcome?
Hi! Just wondered how it turned out with your new horse? I'm in a similar boat with my mare, lots of separation anxiety after a yard move, and debating whether to stick it out/move back to old yard/even sell.

Pandapal

Visit site
Hi! Just wondered how it turned out with your new horse? I'm in a similar boat with my mare, lots of separation anxiety after a yard move, and debating whether to stick it out/move back to old yard/even sell.
Hi! Sorry to hear you’re going through something similar. I know how disheartening it can be.

I spent time doing ground work in the school with my horse and that really helped him focus on me and what I was asking of him, and made him see me as his leader. (I knew it was working when I could take the lunge line off and he’d follow me and stop and start when I did without any reason to).

He became a lot better to take out of the field once he settled into his routine and realised he would get to go out, and wasn’t just going to stay in. He does still plant very occasionally (usually when he doesn’t feel he’s had enough time out) but I stand at his side and flick the lead rope at him, deepen my tone and sort of growl at him, and that tends to get him moving. (I’m quick to change my tone back and praise him as soon as we get going again).

I think it helps that he always has a feed when he comes in so he has something to look forwards to.

It did take about a month for him to get regularly better at coming in. But I kept up the groundwork, and would take a schooling whip when I was catching him so if he planted I could waft that towards his rear and he’d start moving again, and then I’d praise him.

It also helps that he has now formed a bond with a horse in his field and one in the stable next to him, so he’s happy in both locations, and the separation anxiety has gone away.

Hope that helps a bit!

Pandapal

Visit site
Thanks for the reply! Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel!
Forgot to add, I did put him on a calmer. He’s still on it, and I find it takes the edge off his anxiety. That took about two weeks to build up in his system. It didn’t turn him into a different horse, but I noticed he was much more inclined to listen to what I was asking of him, rather than getting distracted by what was going on around him.

Also he has bonded quite deeply with the horse in the stable next to him. She’s a mare and he’ll look around and call for her if she’s not in when he expects her to be. But he’s fine if I then take him out and ride / groom / turn out, just gets upset if she isn’t in when he is. Luckily she’s generally in more than him!