New horse that won’t ride beside pony so I can’t do ride and lead go keep pony fit happy if I’m on foot

Karen condron

New User
Visit site
Got a new horse 12 yrs hacks out behind pony if I ask for him to go beside won’t stops tears but does go beside and slightly head when he doesn’t realise won’t do ride and lead pony even with her parallel to him will if I’m on foot what can I do cause my last horse I rode and pony all over and had great times

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think it's fairly obvious that the issue is with the new horse not being happy to ride and lead (although there are nuances I'm unsure of - does the horse rear when asked to come along side the pony?).

You can train horses to ride and lead - in an enclosed paddock, getting them used to being in each other's space. Start on the ground, as he's happy with that, and gradually work them closer together until they're confident and used to that - then work on getting the same on board. However, not all horses will ride and lead - sometimes you just have to accept that and find another way to work them. It really depends on how much training you've done so far...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I presume OP was on a phone with predictive text. I translate as such...

I have got a new horse, he is 12 yrs old.
He hacks out behind my pony but if I ask for him to go beside the pony, he won’t.

He stops and rears, he does go beside and slightly ahead but only when he doesn’t realise (presumably when distracted by something else).

He won’t do ride and lead with the pony, even with her parallel to him. He will if I'm on foot(presumably leads well in hand even if the pony is led in the other hand).

What can I do to get him working ride and lead, because with my last horse I rode and led this pony all over and had great times....

OP, I would start on the school with someone to help. Maybe have them both in hand. Work on focus. Then have the ridden horse under saddle and the pony under the control of a person on the floor. Work on passing head on, working behind, working in front, passing by, halting and letting the other one pass you.

Only when your new horse is happy with the pony passing nearby would I move on to asking the horse and pony to work side by side, and even then firstly with the pony led in hand by someone else. That way you can fully attend to the behaviour of the ridden horse.

Only progress to leading once the horse is fully confident and attentive with you one handed.

I had one that was worried about being bitten, so for a while the led horse had a muzzle so I could be confident that this would not happen. Maybe that is why he is confident when a person is between him and the pony? Or could he be worried that the pony will kick? If so, the pony should have their head at your knee, so out of kick range.

Before going back out on the road I would ensure you can mount/dismount, halt with both at attention, walk, trot and fall into single file and recover to double file. That way you will be confident that you are ready for the world on the roads, as far as anyone can be.

Last edited: