new horse to established herd advice.

bheb2186

Visit site
Hi, I have my 3 boys. My oldest and my shetland have been together on their own for 7 years...I bought a foal last year, he's 10months now. When I first introduced them my oldest was a right bully, chasing the youngster around and pinning him in to corners, biting etc, he's always been the boss. I split my field in to 2 sections, one for my oldest guy and the shetland and one for my youngster after seeing this happen. I think the youngster is getting bored on his own now and I ideally want them to all be together in the same field and not in separate fields, I think its important that the youngster knows how to behave in a herd and not just how to behave on his own. They seem to get along much better now, almost like friends over the fence, grazing side by side, touching over the fence. I'm just scared that one of them will get injured if I re-introduce them to the same field again. Does anyone have any advise on how to make the transition as easy and smooth and injury free as possible? Thanks x

SpringArising

Visit site
I think its important that the youngster knows how to behave in a herd and not just how to behave on his own.

To be honest you've hit the nail on the head, here. The youngster needs to learn that there's a hierarchy and always will be. It's just natural.

It sounds like you've already done everything you can to make it go as smooth as possible. It's really nerve-wracking mixing them for the first time, but totally worth it when they eventually settle and become a little herd.

If it makes you feel better, mine was bullied awfully for a few days. Nothing too dangerous, but the herd lead was forever chasing him and going to bite him.

After 2/3 days they all got on like a house on fire. If it makes you feel better, separate them for the first few days at night - just in case!

bheb2186

Visit site
very nerve wracking lol, it has to be done though so just looking at damage limitation I suppose. My oldest guy who is also the herd leader did and will do the exact same thing. It's horrible to watch but really hope that as its just the 3 of them they will adapt relatively quickly. Separating at night for the first few days might be a good idea too depending on how they are. Thank you :) x

SpringArising

Visit site
very nerve wracking lol, it has to be done though so just looking at damage limitation I suppose. My oldest guy who is also the herd leader did and will do the exact same thing. It's horrible to watch but really hope that as its just the 3 of them they will adapt relatively quickly. Separating at night for the first few days might be a good idea too depending on how they are. Thank you :) x

Also forgot to mention, take off back shoes if you haven't already. And for additional protection you can boot all of them up! Good luck :)

flirtygerty

Visit site
Beginning a herd went horribly wrong, had an established mare and an old gelding on retirement livery, happily living together, bought a younger gelding, turned out to be very dominant, new gelding demolished, regular fencing and electric fencing to get at the mare and old gelding, new boy targeted the old boy and the mare protected the old boy, having no fencing left on my 10 acres, I stabled the old boy and had to leave the mare and new gelding to it, two days of fighting, horrible to watch, the mare and new gelding called a truce

flirtygerty

Visit site
Beginning a herd went horribly wrong, had an established mare and an old gelding on retirement livery, happily living together, bought a younger gelding, turned out to be very dominant, new gelding demolished, regular fencing and electric fencing to get at the mare and old gelding, new boy targeted the old boy and the mare protected the old boy, having no fencing left on my 10 acres, I stabled the old boy and had to leave the mare and new gelding to it, two days of fighting, horrible to watch, the mare and new gelding called a truce
Edited to add, 4 yrs on and old boy pts, new dominant mare, new youngster and old TB gifted back, original bully boy has had a few shocks and while still a bully has mellowed, so life is quieter