New horse update

lhotse

Visit site
Some of you will remember my post from three weeks ago about my new new horsey, so I thought I would give you all an update.

Today we went for an hour and a half hack, with just my sister on foot for company. We encountered a pirate flag, a car with a bike on the roof, a bike, several joggers, other horses and lots of scary gateways with silage bales/monsters. That was just for starters as at the end of the long lane is a the pig farm!! So, legs on and forwards she went, past the old tractors, barking dogs, goats, pigs and flapping tarps, not to mention the llamas!! Next up straight away was a cottage that resembles a construction site, so cement mixers, skips and scaffolding. Past it all without any trouble, just a bit of trepidation. The ride was then quiet for a next couple of miles until we reached the bog open common!

This was conquered on a loose rein and she even stepped over a puddle which I have been told was her nemesis.

So, after a couple of paddies whilst being ridden in the field, the first of which she demonstrated her desire to be a Spanish Riding School Lipizzana rather than an Arab, a few second thoughts from me as I was comparing her to my beloved old mare, and a bout of spasmodic colic last week which my vet said was probably caused by the grass not knowing whether it's summer or winter and a change of home (my old mare used to get colic at this time of year when she came in season, the joys of sensitive mares!!), I think we are forging a partnership that will hopefully be as strong as my last one.

I'll be glad when she's finished moulting though as I'm covered in white hairs, the chestnut ones just didn't show!!

Forgot to add, she now has a theme tune too!! When I was tiny, I always loved The White Horses on TV, and dreamed that one day I would be able to gallop into the sunset on a white horse!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtCNbERKvMs&feature=related

Last edited:

Lintel

Visit site
You didn't offer anyone food at the end of the post- we are a food orientated bunch :p
Sounds good though! -Can't wait till mine stops shedding either.. I go home looking like a horse :rolleyes:

pines of rome

Visit site
Sounds like you are getting on well with her, its hard not to compare to your old horse I know!
I also love that theme tune, used to sit and watch it with my Mum when I was little, I had it played at her funeral!

lhotse

Visit site
I don't have a clue how to post pics on here to be honest, and I don't have a flickr account anyways!!

lhotse

Visit site
A couple of pics on my profile now. These were taken the day after she arrived, she's got more of her summer coat now and is becoming more fleabitted. The chestnut is my old mare whom I lost in 2011, just so she doesn't feel left out.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
EEEEEEP! Love her! :D

picture.php

ETA. I love the chestnut too. :)

lhotse

Visit site
It's not the greatest of photos, but I just wanted a few from the beginning and she kept trying to eat my camera!! I will get some more soon.

lhotse

Visit site
Just thought I would update my update!!
Today I rode Ruby through the busy highstreet!!! There were people with balloons and brollys, people outside the pubs laughing, lots of cars, a cenetaph with poppies, beer barrels, you name it, it's there!! She was as good as gold, we started the ride through the residential streets as although I would much rather ride in the country lanes, she's a young horse so needs to see things.
Lawnmowers, dogs, allotments, school play areas, and plenty of street furniture. Not a bother, infact the pony we were with spooked more and she's pretty bombproof!!
We also met a Sainsbury's lorry last week on a narrow road, the driver stopped and we quietly walked past. She didn't bat an eyelid at the tractor we met either.
We did get a soaking today though!!
Very happy!!

quirky

Visit site
How lovely :).
It makes a massive difference to be sat on a horse that you know isn't going to have it's brains fried by anything out of the ordinary!

lhotse

Visit site
Forgot to mention going under the flyover with a dual carriageway above and the flags blowing wildly outside the car showroom!!