New horse won't settle help!

Shellinch

Visit site
I have a new 6 year old tb. Even though all vaccines are up to date and the yard she came from travel to big shows so are professional screened she has to stay in for 2 weeks.

Problem she has never been stabled overnight before and always lived out! Help!

I cannot settle her and she has been in constant sweat for 2 days and when horses get turned out she goes mental. She just walks around her stable and won't eat. I put her in the school and she instantly chilled!

I have a likit and toys but they are not working.

Any advice and will she learn to settle? How do I stop her sweating and freaking? Do I still rug even though she is sweating?

My other horse loves being in so not sure what to do bless her!

pippixox

Visit site
is there no turn out option with an extra electric fence line so they can go out but cant touch other horses?

lewis2015

Visit site
My old yard had a small 'quarantine' paddock where new horses went on their own for 2 weeks, but within sight of other horses and right next to all the stables/ yard. Could you ask about possibility of turning her out in electric fenced space if there is no paddocks?

Shellinch

Visit site
licks have 18% sugar which is the same as grass. Unfortunately they will not let me turn out but then she has been touching distance to horse next door as she is in the corner. I have however stuck her in school to chill her out and let her have proper roll when no one has been up.

It takes roughly 18 days of consistency to get into a new habit so do I just persists and use the sulphur calmers maybe?

Any experienced a horse that's not been stabled and how long did it take them to get used to it. She tends to get clinging to other horses by looks of it as soon as they turn their horses out in morning she goes nuts!

stormox

Visit site
Are you sure she has never been in before? It would be unusual with a TB, and horses are usually in for breaking. My horse wouldnt settle for 3 days, just kept flying round the stable peeing and poohing. Then all of a sudden he calmed down and hasnt been a problem ever since. Are you giving her plenty of riding/lungeing to help her use her energy up?

Shellinch

Visit site
She has sarcoids right where the girth is so I'm also having to put the chemo cream on which is irritating. They told me not to put her anywhere near the other horses so I managed to sneak her into the school for a roll. But will lunge her Tomoz as everyone is at work.

Apparently she has only ever been in stable
For a few hours for vet or to be tacked up as they broke her themselves. She has always lived out with a pall.

She was given to me as she has been wasted so we have lots of groundwork but really hoping she settles soon. It's an awful lot of change for poor girl and she is rather sweet apart from the panicking.

Reminds me of my Other mare when I first had her but she always preferred staying in and to this day loves to be in and have a pamper.

Tried to wash her legs and she broke the ties so another thing to get used too poor thing X

stormox

Visit site
well, its only for 2 weeks, Im sure she will settle. Its a shame she has to see the other horses go out, if she had a friend she could see while she was in the stable she might be calmer.

Shellinch

Visit site
Yeah I moved her from the original stable with my mare as every time the other one she could touch left she tried to force the door open plus I don't want her attaching to one horse. Plus my mates stable has 3 bolts for crazy horses as she used to be one lol pray for the 2 weeks to go smoothly 🙏🏻 crazy tb horses lol what do I let myself in for I promised myself after my last rescue mare I wouldn't have another youngster to teach but here i am lol to be fair it's made me realise just how perfectly behaved my other mare in and how much she has changed.

Lulup

Visit site
Depends on your daily routine - you may not be in a position to mange this - but I have always found that the best way is to avoid the horse seeing all the others leave so I would be trying to get there early and lunge (or whatever you're doing in the way of exercise) whilst the others are being turned out so once she comes back in she is slightly work-weary/calmer and not experiencing the stress of watching all the others being turned out without her. My TB is much better once she's done something and is fine about being alone if she hasnt witnessed all the others going x

old hand

Visit site
Can't you leave another horse in too. Work both and if there are several maybe change which horse it is each day? They will pal up in the field later on but should stop attachments for now.

Shellinch

Visit site
Not allowed to keep horses in as it prevents other horses going out as they have really stupid field rules so my mare has to go out with 1 gelding even though she comes into season stupidly easily and he is get jiggly with her. But this means if one is kept in so does the other as they can't go out alone even though there are horses on electric fence as feild has been split. Not enough field for amount on horses on farm and yard manger don't have a clue! Good thing is for her as soon as it rains horses have to be kept in but unfortunately they are stabled in an open stable block so all horses can see each other. She can see them in field too as its right in front of the stable block. Really not ideal but great idea about working her in morning so will defo give that ago thanks!

windand rain

Visit site
move yards too many you can'ts for my liking. I understand the quarantine rules but the rest are just making your new horse and you stressed. It also sounds as if she isnt getting any exercise except if you flout the rules while no one is watcing