New horse!

Imogenandcupcake

New User
Visit site
Having a few issues with the horse ive recently got on loan. If i put him in the stable before the others he goes mental, unfortunately i work some nights and have to put him in early. Not quite sure how to keep him calm until the other horses come in, if anyone knows any techniques to calm him would be greatly recieved. Also he hasnt been shod on his back feet for over a year and his front ones have come off although spoke to my farrier and he hopefully can come this week however would he be level with just the front shoes on? His back feet are very solid and while hes settles in not too bothered with having them on yet but wondered if it would effect his riding. Also when would you reccomend to start lunging him, had him three days but would idealy like to start with some lunging to build muscle up but dont want to overload him to soon.

All help greatfully recieved.
Imogen

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I would have been lunging and/or riding him from the day he arrived. And front shoes will not make him "unlevel", however if he's doing Ok without shoes, why not leave him that way? He may not actually need shoes at all, and if he becomes sore it is a simple matter to get fronts on.